How long will DJ Stewart be able to hold off Ryan Mountcastle?

wildcard

20 minutes ago, weams said:

I think they both have average throwing arms. Mountcastle has an outfielder arm though. It's around the infield that some criticize.

I have a different take. Both of their arms would be graded below average from the outfield, but not at Mullins level of atrocity where runners will run at will on them. The throws I saw from Mountcastle indicate he can throw average at times, but coming in and throwing to home he appears to have a well below average arm. Stewart's arm is very inconsistent. I've seen average throws from him and Mullins-like throws. 

Either way, the arm will never be assets to either, but they should not make them big liabilities either.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I expect this season to play almost like a 60-game spring training for the Orioles with a lot of moving parts and essentially want amounts to try outs.

I think there are a lot of variables for where Mountcastle could get his ABs. If the goal is primarily LF for him that could come at the expense of Stewart, but also Nunez, Riuz, Davis, or Santander. Given the short Spring Training 2.0, there's also an increased chance of muscle related injuries which could open the door, particularly if it's one of the aforementioned players.

In this season, I want to see a lot of Hays and Mountcastle to get an idea of what we have. I want to see if Santander can build off last year; if Stewart can prove to be a useful big leaguer. I want to see if Davis can build off what looked like a nice start in Spring Training 1.0 or if this is his last chance. I want to see Nunez get reps defensively somewhere. I like his bat, but not sure I like it enough as a DH-only to warrant a spot when more players begin graduating or when Mancini returns next year. Of course, all of that is just on the offensive/position player side. I would like to get looks at a lot of pitchers as well. This should be a fun year to see what might be some guys last chance to prove themselves (though with no minor league season, that window for a few guys may be extended a bit with development stalled).

17 minutes ago, weams said:

I think they both have average throwing arms. Mountcastle has an outfielder arm though. It's around the infield that some criticize.

It will take more games in left field to know but Mountcastle's arm in left in ST 1.0 looked much worse than average.

As for Mountcastle and Stewart, Mountcastle is going to be playing just about everyday between LF, DH and 1B once the Orioles get the extra year of control (I believe somewhere around 7-10 games). Stewart will get his ABs in LF, Rf and DH as well, but I don't see him as a priority play. 

If Santander will be a go in RF, the outfield will typically be Mountcastle, Hays and Santander with Stewart being the 4th OF with Santander moving to CF to give Hays a break against maybe a tough righty.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, atomic said:

DJ Stewart played mostly in right field last season. So I am confused about this thread.

If Santander plays left and Stewart plays right Mountcastle will never play the outfield.   Mountcastle's arm is not good enough to play right and he is not good enough to move Santander out of left. 

So Mountcastle better hope that Stewart is starting the season in left field.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have a different take. Both of their arms would be graded below average from the outfield, but not at Mullins level of atrocity where runners will run at will on them. The throws I saw from Mountcastle indicate he can throw average at times, but coming in and throwing to home he appears to have a well below average arm. Stewart's arm is very inconsistent. I've seen average throws from him and Mullins-like throws. 

Either way, the arm will never be assets to either, but they should not make them big liabilities either.

See, I guess I watch it poorly. I was conviced Delmon had a rocket launcher. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

See, I guess I watch it poorly. I was conviced Delmon had a rocket launcher. 

Honestly, a lot of outfielders are not consistent with their throws. Part of it is the fact that they have to really throw hard only a few times a games. That's leads to a lot of inconsistency with some guys from the strength of their throws to accuracy issues. You very well may have seen solid average throws from Mountcastle and Stewart. I know I have at times too, but I can't overlook some of the really poor throws too. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, a lot of outfielders are not consistent with their throws. Part of it is the fact that they have to really throw hard only a few times a games. That's leads to a lot of inconsistency with some guys from the strength of their throws to accuracy issues. You very well may have seen solid average throws from Mountcastle and Stewart. I know I have at times too, but I can't overlook some of the really poor throws too. 

The Orioles have spoiled us over the years, guys with cannons and when we get less than that, its a let down, and the last couple of years has been that.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As for Mountcastle and Stewart, Mountcastle is going to be playing just about everyday between LF, DH and 1B once the Orioles get the extra year of control (I believe somewhere around 7-10 games). Stewart will get his ABs in LF, Rf and DH as well, but I don't see him as a priority play. 

If Santander will be a go in RF, the outfield will typically be Mountcastle, Hays and Santander with Stewart being the 4th OF with Santander moving to CF to give Hays a break against maybe a tough righty.

Seems like Andrew Velazquez is being given a chance to be Hays backup in CF.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, oriole said:

I doubt it matters a whole lot outside of this year and maybe next year. I think Mountcastle will end up a regular 1B/DH and Stewart will probably end up being designated by the time his options are all used up. 

Would have been reasonable to think the same thing about Santander going into last year.

Lets see how Stewart does playing close to every day.

He outperformed Mountcastle at Norfolk last year and was 12th in the Eastern League in OPS in 2017 (200+ PAs) with only Austin Hays, Rafael Devers, and Ryan McMahon ahead of and younger than him that year. I don't think it is fair to write him off completely just yet.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Would have been reasonable to think the same thing about Santander going into last year.

He outperformed Mountcastle at Norfolk last year and was 12th in the Eastern League in OPS in 2017 (200+ PAs) with only Austin Hays, Rafael Devers, and Ryan McMahon ahead of and younger than him that year. I don't think it is fair to write him off completely just yet.

Agree.   With all these corner OF, 1B and DH next year the O's should hope they perform well enough to have some trade value.    Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Nunez, Stewart with Diaz promoted in the 2nd half of 2021.   And Davis still under contract for 2 years.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Agree.   With all these corner OF, 1B and DH next year the O's should hope they perform well enough to have some trade value.    Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Nunez, Stewart with Diaz promoted in the 2nd half of 2021.   And Davis still under contract for 2 years.

Yeah, even if Davis bounces back somewhat to a .750-.775 OPS player in 2021 (essentially his 2016 season with a little less power), I can see a scenario where he gets cut before the 2022 season if things go decently with other players.

Unfortunately, as I said earlier, I think the Coronavirus gives him a pass for this season and he won't be playing for a job until 2021.

24 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Maybe a DH role is his future but he looks clumsy as hell in the OF.

18 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, even if Davis bounces back somewhat to a .750-.775 OPS player in 2021 (essentially his 2016 season with a little less power), I can see a scenario where he gets cut before the 2022 season if things go decently with other players.

Unfortunately, as I said earlier, I think the Coronavirus gives him a pass for this season and he won't be playing for a job until 2021.

It depends on who plays well in 2020.   If Stewart, Santander  and Nunez hit well, it puts pressure on Davis to  hit or be replaced by Mountcastle at 1B.    That could happen as early as mid August.   It just depends on how it plays out.   Even if Davis doesn't hit well I don't think he get released.  Just benched.   That sets up how 2021 begins with Mancini back.

I am rooting for everyone to hit well which will force trades.