Fake crowd noise

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The soccer implementation on TV is fine.  It feels more like a normal game, and you're not normally panning the lack of crowd, reminding you it's fake.

But in stadium?  That might be a little strange.  If I were in charge of it I'd probably get fired.  I'd have to insert heckling.  Bird noises.  Pterodactyl noises. Train crashes.  Ralph and Alice fighting.  Every Yankee or Sox at bat greeted by a deafening chorus of boos.  Every Rays at bat greeted by dead silence.  Random, jarring, loud shouts of "balk" while the opposing pitcher was at the set position.  "Move it along *$@%($%" every time someone steps out to fix their batting glove.

Playing someone yelling "I got it" or "Mine" every time the Orioles hit a pop-up or a shallow fly ball in hopes the other team lets it drop.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I would watch the abomination. Anyone know if these will be televised in any form? I keep seeing other teams in my Facebook feed.

As to the baseball itself, no problem. It's all the other artificial stuff attached to it this year... and the piped-in crowd noise is the icing on the fake cake. It brings it that much farther from the real to the virtual... like the crowd noise added as the latest bell/whistle to  the computer sim games, which seemed so cool, circa twenty years ago (and ironically, coming from the other direction, seemed to bring the virtual so close to the real!).

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

They should set up an interactive system where you can watch at home and click buttons to make your Avatar at the park make noises on your behalf. 

Several teams, including the Giants, Dodgers, Mets, A's, and Rays are offering the opportunity for fans to appear as cutouts in the stands, although the Orioles have not done so. Unfortunately fans have no control over the cutouts. Maybe next pandemic.

44 minutes ago, scOtt said:

On popup drills IIRC.

SARASOTA, FLA. — Orioles manager Buck Showalter is taking his team onto the Ed Smith Stadium field Friday so that they can use the sound system to pump crowd noise into the venue. (That exercise had initially been planned for Saturday.)The noise -- which will actually be a loop of the crowd's reaction to Delmon Young's game-winning double in Game 2 of last year's American League Division Series at Camden Yards -- allows the players to simulate calling fly balls and communicating in a loud environment.Showalter said the exercise is still imperfect. There's no way to truly mimic the effect of noise, but it's better replicated on the stadium field than on the back fields of the complex."You just try to deal in practicalities with what really plays as opposed to what makes you feel like you've got it back on Field 4 in February," Showalter said Thursday.In case the noise is too loud for players to hear one another, the Orioles have a system to prevent head-to-head collisions.

Sounds like a learning tool for young outfielders.

35 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I mean obviously it doesn't really matter, but I much prefer they don't do it.

I like the soccer games a lot more when you're watching without the crowd noise and you can hear the players on the field, er, pitch.

I know I am a sheep, but watching soccer games without crowd noise makes it seem like watching practice. It is neat hearing the players, but hearing the echo reverberate off of empty seats really takes me out of my emotional investment in the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I suggested this before (and got no reaction)... why not have Zoom style setups where fans can be fans and have the Zoom audio go through speakers in the stadium. You can have a separate Zoom setup for each section of the ballpark - a few hundred people for each one.  Real crowd noises instead of fake, and real people enjoying the game.      

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I suggested this before (and got no reaction)... why not have Zoom style setups where fans can be fans and have the Zoom audio go through speakers in the stadium. You can have a separate Zoom setup for each section of the ballpark - a few hundred people for each one.  Real crowd noises instead of fake, and real people enjoying the game.      

Someone would hack it and blast profanity through a 10000 zoom sessions at once.

25 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The MLS has something like that, although you don't hear them.   But the big scoreboard at the stadium has zoom set up with 8 rectangles, and it rotates through fans of the team. 

But at least on the broadcast, you don't hear that.   I watched some of the DC United game on ESPN last night and you could hear the coach yelling directions to the players.   No crowd noise.   But whenever the camera showed a glimpse of the big board there was a Zoom setup with 8 DC or New England fans on there, and it looked like it changed which fans were showing from one glimpse to the next.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:40 AM, MurphDogg said:

I know I am a sheep, but watching soccer games without crowd noise makes it seem like watching practice. It is neat hearing the players, but hearing the echo reverberate off of empty seats really takes me out of my emotional investment in the game.

I also like hearing the players on the pitch, but I agree.

Hearing a real crowd react, especially to something negative, helps make me feel like I don't need to go to anger management over whatever is happening.

Now when the team you support scores, which in my team's case isn't that often (Newcastle), it feels extremely hollow and I find myself almost whispering my excitement. 

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

EdPp0XaWsAIWZWR?format=png&name=900x900The cardboard fan situation is ... not great, in my opinion.

If they are going to do it, they should get rid of the screen.  It would be fun to watch foul balls knock the heads off "fans" over the course of the season.  There could be a prize for a fan whose cutout survived the entire season.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3