Means has arm fatigue (Milone starts opening day)

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Roch says Means has a "dead arm." I thought that was the term used during baseball's first 100 years when guys couldn't pitch, even after a rubdown from the trainer or a whirlpool treatment, but the exact problem was unknown because nobody could diagnose the difference between a little stiffness and a career-ending injury.

But no reason to worry about Means being unavailable, with the starting pitching depth this team has. :eek:

7 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Once these bats grow they'll have to buy some arms.

Actually it may be in their best interest to go with "openers" instead of starters from now on, like the Rays once did.

You still have to pitch 9 innings.  Well the Orioles only have to pitch 8 on the road but you know what I mean.

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

You still have to pitch 9 innings.  Well the Orioles only have to pitch 8 on the road but you know what I mean.

At least for the first two weeks of the season we will have a 10 or 11 man bullpen, so I don't think that will be too big a problem,.

6 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

There aren’t any rules about the number of pitchers on the active roster during this modified season, right.  Why not carry 17-18 pitchers to start?

No, there aren't.   Before Covid, there were going to be.   But those rules were scratched due to Covid-19.

But Hyde has said in interviews that he is deciding between a 15 and 16 man staff.

That really should be sufficient, anyway.   Especially if you have a few relievers who can go multiple innings.   

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

No, there aren't.   Before Covid, there were going to be.   But those rules were scratched due to Covid-19.

But Hyde has said in interviews that he is deciding between a 15 and 16 man staff.

That really should be sufficient, anyway.   Especially if you have a few relievers who can go multiple innings.   

So is the rule you have to pitch to 3 batters scrapped as well? With a 16 man staff these games could be pretty much unwatchable.

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

So is the rule you have to pitch to 3 batters scrapped as well? With a 16 man staff these games could be pretty much unwatchable.

Here's a link to a post from just before summer camp opened with a summary of the rules in effect for this season: