The defense thread, 2020

Frobby

I ask again, has any player ever needed this much time to learn left field?  He did play it last season.  He did play it this spring.

Mancini, a career first baseman in college, learned in a couple of weeks.

I honestly don't get how people can buy into this development story.

Everything they are doing in Bowie they could be doing in Baltimore, plus he could play in actual games.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I ask again, has any player ever needed this much time to learn left field?  He did play it last season.  He did play it this spring.

Everything they are doing in Bowie they could be doing in Baltimore, plus he could play in actual games.

So what do you think the real reason is?    What is more plausible to you at this point?    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So what do you think the real reason is?    What is more plausible to you at this point?    

Service time manipulation.

Let's be honest, if he hasn't learned how to play left yet, it isn't going to happen.

Edit- Some sort of discipinary action could also be in play but I don't even like speculating about stuff like that.

Edited by Can_of_corn

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Service time manipulation.

Let's be honest, if he hasn't learned how to play left yet, it isn't going to happen.

Edit- Some sort of discipinary action could also be in play but I don't even like speculating about stuff like that.

I would have believed service time manipulation if they had called him up shortly after he no longer qualified for a full year of service, but we’re well past that and probably past the Super-2 date too.    Do you think they’re going to keep him down all season and then manipulate his service time at the start of next year, too?

That is possible, but I don’t see it as more likely than that they still want him working on certain parts of his game.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I would have believed service time manipulation if they had called him up shortly after he no longer qualified for a full year of service, but we’re well past that and probably past the Super-2 date too.    Do you think they’re going to keep him down all season and then manipulate his service time at the start of next year, too?

That is possible, but I don’t see it as more likely than that they still want him working on certain parts of his game.   

I'm quickly moving in that direction.

I don't see what he could be working on at Bowie that he can't work on in Baltimore.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't get how people buy into the development story the organization is offering, yet the one you are leaning toward is more improbable. 

I'll be just as frustrated if they hold him out until next year. 

7 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

You don't get how people buy into the development story the organization is offering, yet the one you are leaning toward is more improbable. 

I'll be just as frustrated if they hold him out until next year. 

How is it improbable that they are gaming his service time?

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How is it improbable that they are gaming his service time?

My comment was in reference to your statement that you quickly moving in the direction that they will keep him down all season. That's improbable. More improbable that they are keeping him down for development's sake. 

Just now, Bubble Buddy said:

My comment was in reference to your statement that you quickly moving in the direction that they will keep him down all season. That's improbable. More improbable that they are keeping him down for development's sake. 

I think it is safe to say 29 teams would have promoted him by now so him still being down is pretty improbable.