Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, esmd said:

So if the season WERE to end from this and the O's don't play any other games.....could the O's declare themselves 2020 AL East Champions?  Asking for a friend.....

Best of both worlds, hang the banner AND retain the #2 overall pick for 2021 (unless they decided to go to a lottery system)

3 minutes ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

2 days to get test results. How many days before those that have already contracted it have positive outcomes? You have to think at the moment they need to operate as if the entire team has it. I think it's a few more days before we find out how bad it actually spread thru that clubhouse. Miami isn't playing for a few days, at least.

Wait.. they don't have rapid testing?

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

It seems like the 40 man roster would have to be expanded or players will be getting DFA'ed left and right.

Precisely. You can't just "call up" 12 guys from your 60-player pool. A lot of those guys would need to be added to the 40-man roster, how are you going to make room for 12 guys? 

Just now, interloper said:

Precisely. You can't just "call up" 12 guys from your 60-player pool. A lot of those guys would need to be added to the 40-man roster, how are you going to make room for 12 guys? 

40 man shouldn't even count this year.  They're making all kind of changes why not do away with the 40 man roster limitations for this kind of problem?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

This could be the beginning of the end for the season. I don't see how the Marlins can field a team. Unless their secondary camp team can swap in completely, I don't see how they can play in the next few days until they pinpoint who didn't catch it yesterday.

All you need is 9 to play. Active roster is a max not a minimum. I wonder if we will be seeing some games with <25 players on the active roster. 

Realistically, hard to imagine Marlins playing within the next 10 days. Glad I don't have any of those guys on my fantasy team. 

Just now, orioles119 said:

40 man shouldn't even count this year.  They're making all kind of changes why not do away with the 40 man roster limitations for this kind of problem?

Well, I don't know. Ask Fred Manfred and the MLBPA! But it is what it is, I'm just saying, you can't simply swap dudes in as you please. Especially when it's double digit dudes. 

Just now, orioles119 said:

It almost seems like they have to if they want to have a season.  I can't believe that they didn't anticipate this happening (likely multiple times), and have some kind of contingency plan.

7 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Such overreaction... just swap the B squad and go on with life.  You can't stop living for something that has a 99.6% survival rate.

So if all 900 major leaguers catch it only 3-4 will die. Pretty good odds.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Wait.. they don't have rapid testing?

They do, but that’s not the official testing.  For example, when Soto tested positive, he was given a bunch of rapid tests throughout the day which were negative.  But they can’t use those to get him back on the field.