Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

While I feel the virus thing is a bit overblown, if we are closing restaurants and schools, professional sports are the last businesses that should be operating.  As John Taffer says "Shut it down!"

Edited by drdelaware

1 minute ago, drdelaware said:

While I feel the virus thing is a bit overblown, if we are closing restaurants and schools, professional sports are the last businesses that should be operating.  As John Taffer says "Shut it down!"

I'm not sure this logic necessarily follows... without fans they aren't serving external patrons and participants were able to opt out at their own pleasure

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Didn't the league structure rosters in a way just for this reason? All of you rushing to be first to call the season over - much like game threads around here - are amusing. Let's see what happens, but there's no prize for being the first to "call it." 

Yes but at a certain point the integrity of the competition goes out the window (yes, yes, make your Orioles joke here). If it's just one team this happens to, they can probably continue. But if multiple teams are relying on the dregs of their 60-player pool then that's not really in the spirit of the game. That's just asterisks upon asterisks. 

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Didn't the league structure rosters in a way just for this reason? All of you rushing to be first to call the season over - much like game threads around here - are amusing. Let's see what happens, but there's no prize for being the first to "call it." 

Then why did they cancel the game? It seems that the Marlins aren't able to put an adequate roster together. Are they going to just cancel all Marlins games for the next two weeks? Very interested to see if they try to play any of these games the next two days.

15 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

If the season is going to happen, players need to take the social distancing more seriously during the game and avoid going out at all other times.

It is a big ask for guys in their 20s and 30s even if they are well paid, but it is going to take close to 100 percent cooperation to complete the season.

11 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

That's gotta be it for the season too, right?  Marlins played Phillies, who are all now very much at risk.  Marlins were in the clubhouse that the Yankees are coming to tonight, so that game will probably be postponed.  I wanted baseball so so bad and was so happy about the weekend results, but this is reality.

This is why it's not a matter of being "scared." It is simply taking precautions to do your best not to catch/spread this thing, because even if you believe the virus is harmless no one is going to play if they test positive, so if it runs rampant through a team the chain reaction starts and the whole season is in jeopardy for everyone.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They may end up bringing up their taxi squad.  The Marlins team can’t play for a while, so either they don’t play for a few weeks or you bring those players up.

They’d have to make that decision sooner than later.  Not enough time in the schedule to make up games.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They may end up bringing up their taxi squad.  The Marlins team can’t play for a while, so either they don’t play for a few weeks or you bring those players up.

It's either taxi squad or pull the plug on this thing. MLB can't have teams cancelling two weeks worth of games that they can never make up.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm not sure this logic necessarily follows... without fans they aren't serving external patrons and participants were able to opt out at their own pleasure

There are still people in the stadium.  Probably more than at a mom and pop restaurant.  Either way, this is the first game cancelled and probably not the last.  I don't see how even a 60 game season is going to be completed.

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I hope I am wrong.  I have been in a good mood since Saturday almost entirely because of the fun series win in Boston.  It's just, if the Marlins had it, and were in the Phillies visiting clubhouse, the Phillies are not all at risk too, and it's a domino effect.  You would think they have to cancel the Yankees Phillies game tonight too.

• Upvote 1