Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

Just now, interloper said:

Yes but at a certain point the integrity of the competition goes out the window (yes, yes, make your Orioles joke here). If it's just one team this happens to, they can probably continue. But if multiple teams are relying on the dregs of their 60-player pool then that's not really in the spirit of the game. That's just asterisks upon asterisks. 

In some ways, let this be a warning to other teams, particularly those with aspirations of winning this year. It's highly possible that some Marlins players were less cautious given the likely outcome for their team this year.

This actually makes the regional scheduling make more sense (w/r/t competition). If the Marlins are minor league level for a few weeks, it doesn't have the disproportionate impact that a less balanced, national schedule would have.

...so that's six today.  If that's six more tomorrow, there goes the series.  Just wait now for the Phillies guys to start testing positive that impacts 2 upcoming series.  It seems almost impossible to me how contagious this thing seems to be that they will be able to maintain a schedule.  It's what I was critical of from the beginning.  Had to know there were going to be outbreaks like this...  btw, I'm not criticizing, they had to give it a go after all of the negotiation-water under the bridge.

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Didn't the league structure rosters in a way just for this reason? All of you rushing to be first to call the season over - much like game threads around here - are amusing. Let's see what happens, but there's no prize for being the first to "call it." 

They aren't set up to just swap in the "B Squad", there are still 30-man roster and 40-man roster considerations, not to mention options and service time.

A rule change would be required to swap in the secondary rosters, and I think they will have to do it today if the Marlins hope to play any time soon.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I hope I am wrong.  I have been in a good mood since Saturday almost entirely because of the fun series win in Boston.  It's just, if the Marlins had it, and were in the Phillies visiting clubhouse, the Phillies are not all at risk too, and it's a domino effect.  You would think they have to cancel the Yankees Phillies game tonight too.

I think they could get a company in there to do a CDC-approved deep clean and sanitization prior to the team populating the clubhouse for the game.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I hope I am wrong.  I have been in a good mood since Saturday almost entirely because of the fun series win in Boston.  It's just, if the Marlins had it, and were in the Phillies visiting clubhouse, the Phillies are not all at risk too, and it's a domino effect.  You would think they have to cancel the Yankees Phillies game tonight too.

the Phillies are all at risk too. **

1 minute ago, esmd said:

I think they could get a company in there to do a CDC-approved deep clean and sanitization prior to the team populating the clubhouse for the game.

And I should add - again - that you would like to think MLB had some kind on contingency plan for this very thing.....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, esmd said:

Agreed.

Best case scenario for us as fans is, if the Orioles are already down in Miami, to do a double header there tomorrow.  Or a double header in Baltimore for Wednesday or Thursday's game.  It's doable, if they handle the COVID part of this correctly.

• Upvote 1

2 days to get test results. How many days before those that have already contracted it have positive outcomes? You have to think at the moment they need to operate as if the entire team has it. I think it's a few more days before we find out how bad it actually spread thru that clubhouse. Miami isn't playing for a few days, at least.

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

In some ways, let this be a warning to other teams, particularly those with aspirations of winning this year. It's highly possible that some Marlins players were less cautious given the likely outcome for their team this year.

This actually makes the regional scheduling make more sense (w/r/t competition). If the Marlins are minor league level for a few weeks, it doesn't have the disproportionate impact that a less balanced, national schedule would have.

Damn them, they can't have our #1 pick.