Richard Bleier Traded to Miami

oriolesacox

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Elias owes us a long term plan to get us back to competitive baseball. Our farm system is close to top 10 due to things like trading veterans and thinking about service time. To be honest he would be failing is obligations by not trading Bleier types.

Everybody is missing my point by just focusing on the concrete of the deal....I have no problem with the details of whatever the deal is.....to use a word that is Elias's favorite,  I am talking about the PROCESS.     On this board, we spend hours and there is no actual baseball being played right here on the board...part of the enjoyment is fan speculation, discussion,  knowing what is going on, etc.....that is where MLB in general and the Orioles in particular fail miserably and have for as long as I have followed them. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, makoman said:

So he should be able to put like 6 Marlins minor leaguers on notice that their org wants to trade them? I don’t like that at all. Players generally seem like they don’t like being on the trading block. If it was flipped, I don’t think it’s too good for say Kyle Stowers’ or Darrell Hernaiz’s morale if Derek Jeter announces he’s considering them for some random reliever. 

Poor babies.  Their "morale".   They are in the entertainment industry although with the byzantine processes dictated by the union and the powers that be....those of us paying for the product are increasingly dissatisfied.   Maybe being considered in a trade for an actual major leaguer rather than just being a wannabe would be helpful to their "morale".  

Bleier, while not a great major leaguer, IMO was very decent.  When he came in for quite a period of time, did reasonably well.  Also, he is a LHP which usually carries a premium. I hope we get a young prospect at any level in the organization.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, section18 said:

Okay ! Why PTBNL in 2 deals? Is it that hard to choose a player? Is it based on how our guy does in the first 30 days?

The player(s) are chosen and agreed upon. They call it a PTBNL to avoid announcing it. They can skirt some roster rules that way. Elias wouldn't trade for an unknown, to be decided later player. Why would any (competent) GM do that?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Everybody is missing my point by just focusing on the concrete of the deal....I have no problem with the details of whatever the deal is.....to use a word that is Elias's favorite,  I am talking about the PROCESS.     On this board, we spend hours and there is no actual baseball being played right here on the board...part of the enjoyment is fan speculation, discussion,  knowing what is going on, etc.....that is where MLB in general and the Orioles in particular fail miserably and have for as long as I have followed them. 

They don't owe you anything. Does Coca-Cola or Microsoft or Google share their business plan with you just because you use their product? Of course not. It's just business.

I can eat 50 eggs.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Bleier, while not a great major leaguer, IMO was very decent.  When he came in for quite a period of time, did reasonably well.  Also, he is a LHP which usually carries a premium. I hope we get a young prospect at any level in the organization.  

I think MurphDogg said about the same thing, and I agree too. Get (got?) a young "actual prospect." A lottery ticket but still one that could be something.

And you can't trade off of the 60 man roster so they can't announce it now.

56 minutes ago, section18 said:

Okay ! Why PTBNL in 2 deals? Is it that hard to choose a player? Is it based on how our guy does in the first 30 days?

Because it is illegal to trade guys who are not on teams' 60 man pools.  With no minor league season, the guys not on 60 man rosters are frozen in place.

60 man rosters are composed of:

1) Guys who would be in AAA like Diaz, Akin

2) 4A type players, borderline major leaguers, minor league vets like Holiday, Eshelman

3) Teams top prospects like Rutschman

A 33 yo reliever like Bleier will not being back someone in category #1 or #3 in trade, and we wouldn't want someone in category #2.

So we are reading for someone who is in A or As, hopefully who has a bit of prospect value.  And that type of guy is not on the 60.  So the name can't be announced until after the season.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, you have to wait and see what you get here.  If they basically dumped him, I won’t be happy about it.  Not because I think Bleier is good but because if he strung together 2-4 weeks of good outings, he could be more valuable to a true contender.

I would have risked that, for the little money he is being paid, if all we did is dump him.

I tend to believe they got more than a dump type player though.

Its possible his value to the Marlins is artificially inflated because MLB has given them an edict to field something that looks like a major league team.  Veterans as opposed to bringing up 10 AA guys.

Bleier is not the type of reliever who brings a lot at the deadline.

5 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I think MurphDogg said about the same thing, and I agree too. Get (got?) a young "actual prospect." A lottery ticket but still one that could be something.

And you can't trade off of the 60 man roster so they can't announce it now.

I don't think so.  I think this is pretty much just to help the Marlins have enough players to put together a team.  It's a courtesy trade. It's why I think the O's just might get him back as the PTBNL.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Its possible his value to the Marlins is artificially inflated because MLB has given them an edict to field something that looks like a major league team.  Veterans as opposed to bringing up 10 AA guys.

Bleier is not the type of reliever who brings a lot at the deadline.

All that’s definitely true. There’s no real reason to dump him as the salary difference for a minimum guy in a prorated season is going to be like $100-200k. And no reliever is really knocking on the door in need of coming up. So hopefully they got a little bit of value. Unless it’s just basically a courtesy loaner like corn just said.