Akin promoted, Mullins optioned

MurphDogg

Surprised they did it today instead of tomorrow. I was thinking if he came up Akin would start tomorrow.
I understand Mullins going down instead of Velazquez with Iglesias not 100 percent, but I still would have gone with Velazquez if they weren't going to go with Hess.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

• weams changed the title to Akin Up Mullins Down
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis?

We played Ruiz in left for a couple innings in the extra inning game last Saturday.

Of course it took him 5 days off to recover from the experience.

Valaika & Velazquez, I guess, are our primary OF backups now.

So Akin is up until Means comes back, either to start tomorrow or to add depth to the bullpen for the Eshelman start today and the "bullpen game" tomorrow.

I doubt we stay with just 3 true outfielders very long.   Maybe once Iglesias is 100% healthy and Ruiz is 100% healthy we send down an infielder (Velazquez most likely) and bring up an outfielder.   DJ Stewart went down Wednesday and thus can't come up until next Saturday;  Mullins can't come back until Tuesday the 18th.   I wonder if there are any other OFs in Bowie we could bring up?

Or maybe Hess pitches again today or tomorrow, and comes up with an "injury" and has to go on the DL, and once we get to Monday's off day we DL him and bring back Mullins or Stewart.

If we get through the next week, with only 3 OFs and with Mullins and Stewart not allowed to come up unless someone gets hurt, and Mountcastle doesn't come up -- at that point I would be willing to believe any conspiracy theory anyone wants to peddle.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Starting to get a bit light on outfielders.

Velazquez and Valaika both can play the outfield if needed.

When Means comes back they have to decide which starters stay in the rotation.  Who goes to the pen and who gets sent to Bowie.    Maybe they send down a pitcher then and call up Mountcastle.

Just now, SteveA said:

We played Ruiz in left for a couple innings in the extra inning game last Saturday.

So Akin is up until Means comes back, either to start tomorrow or to add depth to the bullpen for the Eshelman start today and the "bullpen game" tomorrow.

I doubt we stay with just 3 true outfielders very long.   Maybe once Iglesias is 100% healthy and Ruiz is 100% healthy we send down an infielder (Velazquez most likely) and bring up an outfielder.   DJ Stewart went down Wednesday and thus can't come up until next Saturday;  Mullins can't come back until Tuesday the 18th.   I wonder if there are any other OFs in Bowie we could bring up?

Or maybe Hess pitches again today or tomorrow, and comes up with an "injury" and has to go on the DL, and once we get to Monday's off day we DL him and bring back Mullins or Stewart.

If we get through the next week, with only 3 OFs and with Mullins and Stewart not allowed to come up unless someone gets hurt, and Mountcastle doesn't come up -- at that point I would be willing to believe any conspiracy theory anyone wants to peddle.

I was thinking about coming up with one in which Elias is punishing Mountcastle for refusing to sign a long term under market deal.

I've got not a lick of evidence and don't even believe it myself but I've got a lot of free time on my hands right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was thinking about coming up with one in which Elias is punishing Mountcastle for refusing to sign a long term under market deal.

I've got not a lick of evidence and don't even believe it myself but I've got a lot of free time on my hands right now.

Get a dog.   No one is punishing Mountcastle.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't get the general dislike for Velazquez on this board.   Is he because he doesn't hit?   He is a defensive backup.  I don't expect him to hit much.  If he did he would be a starter.  The guy can play defense.

• Upvote 2