Mike Shawaryn DFA'd by Red Sox

wildcard

O's may need to find a place on the 40 man roster for this guy.  Send him to Bowie.  He has a option for this year and one for next year.

6'2"   240 lbs,   25 years old.   College: Maryland,   5th rounder

Four seamer: 92,  sinker 90, slider 85,  Change 84, Curve 81 from Brooks Baseball

Fastball Slider Changeup Command FV
50 / 50 50 / 55 45 / 50 45 / 50 40

AAA Starter stats from 2018/2019 combined

4-4,  3.82 ERA,  106 IP,  91 H, 45 ER,  42 BB, 87 SO,   .237 avg,  1.25 WHIP

9.74 ERA in 20 IP in major

Not good as reliever at AAA in 2019:  8.47 ERA in 17 appearances

Suggestion:  DFA Cody Carroll and add Shawaryn as a starter.  

Issue:  I don't think the Orioles have the #2 claim any more so some team may take him before the O's

Middle relief profile with #5 starter upside.

He isn't the type of player that would be able to stick on the 40-man roster this coming off-season when Diaz, Baumann, Mattson, Zimmermann, Lowther, Wells, Bannon, McCoy and Pop will all have to be added or exposed to the Rule 5 draft. 

Shawaryn doesn't have the upside of any of those guys.

17 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He isn't the type of player that would be able to stick on the 40-man roster this coming off-season when Diaz, Baumann, Mattson, Zimmermann, Lowther, Wells, Bannon, McCoy and Pop will all have to be added or exposed to the Rule 5 draft. 

Players that will likely be dropped from the 40 man roster this off season:

Carroll, Eshelman, Hess, Leblanc, Milone, Phillips, Holaday, Wynns, Urias, Valaika, Smith,  Too early to guess about Lopez.

Plus on the trade block:  Givens, Armstrong, Cobb

Elias would only claim Shawaryn if  he thought Holt could improve him.  He has options for this year and next.   Considering how thin the starters are with LeBlanc, Milone and Cobb likely not back next season.

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Players that will likely be dropped from the 40 man roster this off season:

Carroll, Eshelman, Hess, Leblanc, Milone, Phillips, Holaday, Wynns, Urias, Valaika, Smith,  Too early to guess about Lopez.

Plus on the trade block:  Givens, Armstrong, Cobb

Elias would only claim Shawaryn if  he thought Holt could improve him.  He has options for this year and next.   Considering how thin the starters are with LeBlanc, Milone and Cobb likely not back next season.

I doubt that they will only carry 2 catchers on the 40-man roster.

Likewise, even if they trade Cobb, Shawaryn would still be behind Means, Wojo, Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells, Baumann, Zimmermann and probably Lopez if he stays on the 40-man in the starting pitching pecking order, at minimum.

Cobb is hardly likely not back next season.

His minor league pedigree is no better than Carroll, Hess, Eshelman or Phillips. He is two years younger than Carroll, and a year younger than Hess but the same age as Eshelman and Phillips. He would certainly be behind Eshelman and probably behind Phillips on my 40-man roster cut line.

He doesn't have much of a fastball, so to me his ceiling is lower than Hess who could be a late inning reliever, although he probably has a better shot at being a #5 starter if that excites you.

He is almost definitely worse than whoever the 2021 versions of Leblanc and Milone (guys signed for around $800K to eat innings) are.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

O's may need to find a place on the 40 man roster for this guy.  Send him to Bowie.  He has a option for this year and one for next year.

6'2"   240 lbs,   25 years old.   College: Maryland,   5th rounder

Four seamer: 92,  sinker 90, slider 85,  Change 84, Curve 81 from Brooks Baseball

Fastball Slider Changeup Command FV
50 / 50 50 / 55 45 / 50 45 / 50 40

AAA Starter stats from 2018/2019 combined

4-4,  3.82 ERA,  106 IP,  91 H, 45 ER,  42 BB, 87 SO,   .237 avg,  1.25 WHIP

9.74 ERA in 20 IP in major

Not good as reliever at AAA in 2019:  8.47 ERA in 17 appearances

Suggestion:  DFA Cody Carroll and add Shawaryn as a starter.  

Issue:  I don't think the Orioles have the #2 claim any more so some team may take him before the O's

You had me at “DFA Carroll”

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

I do not disagree with you regarding the longer-term issues, but in the short term, he certainly seems to be an improvement over Phillips, Carroll, or Hess, none of which should be on the team right now, much less in the future. 

58 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I doubt that they will only carry 2 catchers on the 40-man roster.

Likewise, even if they trade Cobb, Shawaryn would still be behind Means, Wojo, Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells, Baumann, Zimmermann and probably Lopez if he stays on the 40-man in the starting pitching pecking order, at minimum.

Cobb is hardly likely not back next season.

His minor league pedigree is no better than Carroll, Hess, Eshelman or Phillips. He is two years younger than Carroll, and a year younger than Hess but the same age as Eshelman and Phillips. He would certainly be behind Eshelman and probably behind Phillips on my 40-man roster cut line.

He doesn't have much of a fastball, so to me his ceiling is lower than Hess who could be a late inning reliever, although he probably has a better shot at being a #5 starter if that excites you.

He is almost definitely worse than whoever the 2021 versions of Leblanc and Milone (guys signed for around $800K to eat innings) are.

I disagree with some of these points.

A 3.82 ERA  as a starter in over 100 IP in AAA puts Shawaryn with more experience than Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells, Baumann, and Zimmermann.   His 92 mph fastball put him far faster than Eshelman's 86 mph fastball.   And him being a starter puts him head on Phillips and Carroll.

His two options give him a chance to go to the minors to work with Holt instead of being force to improve while on the 28 man roster.    As I said, Holt would have to believe that Shawaryn is someone he could help.

There is zero reason to add him based off of any info given in this thread.

If the Os have scouted this guy and they like him, that’s fine...but citing his stats only hurts his case because they aren’t good.

The idea that he throws harder than Eshelman isn’t anything to even mention.

• Upvote 2

From a Red Sox beat writer for Fansided from August 3rd. Is of the opinion Shawaryn is better suited as a starter. 

Red Sox: Putting pitching prospects on the roster is past due

Mike Shawaryn has already been to the Majors. And while he struggled, I’ve already touched on their mistake – stop trying to make him a reliever.

Long story short, 2019 MiLB Shawaryn had a fantastic 3.59 ERA and 1.29 WHIP as a starter, but a miserable 8.47 ERA and 1.82 WHIP as a reliever.

And wow, what do you know? The Red Sox need starters right now. How about calling up Shawaryn and giving him a real look in a season that you desperately need to try anythingat starter. Besides, there’s something there with “Shawshank Redemption” and that’s too good to pass up.