Who’s your favorite enemy?

Philip

16 hours ago, Philip said:

What are you gonna do with a lousy leftfielder?  Replace him. Every time we put Dwight Smith into the game, we had a lousy leftfielder and we had to suffer from that. There was no way to compensate for having a lousy leftfielder in the game, until we replaced him.

We suffered way more from having Chris Davis at first base, and DJ Stewart at LF, neither of which could hit, at all.   

As for lousy fielding, BBref has his Rfield at a whopping -2.   Thats not even a 0.2 games swing.  His WAR of -0.4 was more due to his lack of production at the plate - but in that department, Davis and Stewart were much worse.

I've seen members of  NFL secondary almost singlehandedly lose games for their teams.   When a CB/S gets exploited to the tune of 150 yards/2 TDs thats a much worse problem than only having a marginal left fielder.

3 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

We suffered way more from having Chris Davis at first base, and DJ Stewart at LF, neither of which could hit, at all.   

As for lousy fielding, BBref has his Rfield at a whopping -2.   Thats not even a 0.2 games swing.  His WAR of -0.4 was more due to his lack of production at the plate - but in that department, Davis and Stewart were much worse.

I've seen members of  NFL secondary almost singlehandedly lose games for their teams.   When a CB/S gets exploited to the tune of 150 yards/2 TDs thats a much worse problem than only having a marginal left fielder.

We did?

Dwight Smith Jr 2019-2020: -1.1 rWAR ,-.9fWAR

DJ Stewart 2018-2020: -.1 rWAR, .1fWAR

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We did?

Dwight Smith Jr 2019-2020: -1.1 rWAR ,-.9fWAR

DJ Stewart 2018-2020: -.1 rWAR, .1fWAR

Both guys are pretty lousy....I can’t believe we are splitting hairs like this.

Excited to see a Hayes and Mountcastle getting a shot. I don’t think much of Mason Williams, Mullins, Smith, Stewart....

So if we have Santander, Hayes, And Mountcastle....I’m ok  with keeping Mullins as your 4th OF. 

Hopefully Trey returns and can play LF or 1B. Hopefully Davis walks away after this season.

Another observation..... Last night watching Mountcastle I noticed that he missed 3 or 4 pitches right down the middle. He whiffed at 3 of them and they were in the 93-95 range as I recall. Did anybody else notice?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you are basing things on eight games played?  Ok then...

DJ Stewart had 22 PAs, and got 0 hits, 6 walks and struck out 8 times.   It was enough for Elias/Hyde to send him to Bowie.

Objectively speaking,  D. Smith was a less worse player, on a per game basis.  

3 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

DJ Stewart had 22 PAs, and got 0 hits, 6 walks and struck out 8 times.   It was enough for Elias/Hyde to send him to Bowie.

Objectively speaking,  D. Smith was a less worse player, on a per game basis.  

Again ...splitting hairs! They both stink .... Stewart is worth keeping around in hopes of him figuring out how to hit in the majors. Smith was a reclamation project when we got him.

3 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I don't think baseball is really any more of a team sport than other sports.  In fact I think fluid sports like hockey and basketball are more team sports than baseball.  In hockey and basketball you have to be on the same page with your teammates, as far as individual responsibilities  and people being where they need to be in a certain place at a certain time.  And if they aren't, scoring opportunities, and defensive assignments are missed.   Especially in hockey.  In baseball, this is only true on defense and even then, its usually about individual efforts and less about coordination. 

Half of baseball is individual matchups - (pitcher vs. batter).  And fielding only accounts less than half of defense (its mostly about the pitcher), so its probably more like 80-85% individual matchups.  

Modern three true outcome baseball has as much in common with an individual sport like tennis as it does the goal-oriented sports with free-form fields.  In soccer it's exceptionally rare, like goal of the year rare, to have a player go end-to-end and score without a bunch of help from his 10 teammates.  Defense involves the coordinated efforts of 4, 5, 8, 10 players flowing with the play and knowing where they need to be in relation to everyone else.  In football even 102-yard kickoff returns almost always happen in part due to blocking and team-level strategy.  Basketball and hockey involve constant movement and passing and screens and formations that require hours and hours of team-level practice to master and get on the same page as your teammates.  Most practice in baseball is one-on-one (batting practice) or individual work with a coach.

15 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

Speaking of ibuprofen, when I was  in France several summers ago, I was managing pain pending a knee replacement by taking two extra strength 400 mg. tablets twice a day. We ran out, so I went to a pharmacy. To buy anything there, including shampoo, you have to talk to a pharmacist. This one told me that in France ibuprofen is considered prescription medicine and that he really should insist I go to un medecin to get one. After some mildly testy conversation, he did  relent, but he could (or would) only dole it out in envelopes of ten 200 mg. tablets, each with just a little more than I needed for one day. Instead of carrying a modest size vial in my toiletries bag, I wound up with a boatload of little envelopes in my luggage. Just your typical American ibuprofen junkie.  

800 mg is prescription strength here in the states.

So you can take a horse pill or 4 little red ones. :) :) :)

3 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I was just using LF as an example. I wasn’t referring to any specific Oriole.