The ex-Orioles lineup vs the Orioles lineup

DocJJ

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But Norris had one good season before he got released.

Not saying it was a good trade, but I am 49 years old and 2014 is the only time in my lifetime I have been able to see a live Orioles (or any) playoff game, so I don't have any regrets personally.  It was an amazing experience.  Not sure that happens without Norris's 2014. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, murph said:

Not saying it was a good trade, but I am 49 years old and 2014 is the only time in my lifetime I have been able to see a live Orioles (or any) playoff game, so I don't have any regrets personally.  It was an amazing experience.  Not sure that happens without Norris's 2014. 

They would have won it without Norris, but that's easy to say in retrospect.  They won the division by 12 games, but on July 31st they were only up a game and a half and webbrick was on his knees begging Duquette to sell it all before it crashed down.

Also, Hader was a 19th-round pick striking out less than a batter an inning at Delmarva.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

Rotation could have included Eduardo Rodriguez, but I see he's out for the year with Covid related Myocarditis....  Yikes!!!!?

It's unfortunate, but that guy just can't stay healthy.  I've lost track on how many health setbacks that guy's had.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The trade would grade out the same either way.  He was a free agent without attached draft pick compensation.

Still I would have liked them to have made at least a competitive offer. I think he would have stayed if the O's would have come close to Yankee money. The O's I think had the inside track. But that's water under the bridge and what not.

2 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Still I would have liked them to have made at least a competitive offer. I think he would have stayed if the O's would have come close to Yankee money. The O's I think had the inside track. But that's water under the bridge and what not.

Oh sure.  I would have much rather have kept Miller than O'Day and said as much at the time.  The money they gave O'Day would have paid for a fair bit of Miller.

• Upvote 1

Wieters 2.0    Severino .6
Walker .6    Nunez .6
Schoop 6.1    Alberto 1.7
Turner 20.0    Ruiz .6
Machado 32.0    Valaika .6
Yaz .6        Mountcastle .6
Nick 2.0    Mullins .6
Villar 8.2    Santander .6
Cruz 12.0    Sisco .6

If we're just looking at lineup salary, there's 13x advantage there. Could be why we didn't keep all those guys.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Justin Turner was an Oriole?

For a year.  Had a .750 OPS and two homers for Norfolk, got busted for pot and waived.  Had been acquired as part of the deal ridding the team of Ramon Hernandez' contract.  So he'd been in the Reds system longer.  Then was a Met.  Three nondescript years there, then... something.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh sure.  I would have much rather have kept Miller than O'Day and said as much at the time.  The money they gave O'Day would have paid for a fair bit of Miller.

I'd rather they just not offer long term free agent deals to relievers.  I'm pretty sure there are three relievers with 8 K/9 under that log in the woodpile out back.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

If only Duquette was a Pat Gillick type that held on to prospects. Never agreed with a model of trade prospects for a playoff run and then let said player you traded for go the next season.

It's actually player development.  None of the prospects traded by Duquette were highly regarded at the time except for Eduardo Rodriguez.  Jake Arrieta's star had faded.  Zach Davies was a borderline top 20 prospect for a terrible farm.  Josh Hader was a lottery pick. 

Angelos kept far too many people employed in the minor league system as coaches and development personnel because they were forner Orioles, and never got things up to speed from an analytics perspective.   Elias has done a complete gutting of the warehouse and development staff after his first season.  Matt Blood was a really exciting addition, as is Chris Holt gaining more influence.  

• Upvote 1

It's hard to second guess a lot of these decisions to make these guys former O's, but I would have liked to see the difference if the O's had signed Nelson Cruz instead of Davis.   I remember at the time, the board was overwhelmingly in favor of keeping Hardy over Cruz.  Cruz was due to decline at any moment was the common opinion.