O's @ Rays 8-26

scOtt

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

If he couldn't have gotten the out, he would have had to face three batters in the 5th.

NOW -- he can be replaced to start next inning.   But if he DOES come out to pitch, he has to face 2 batters.   That's a little facet of the rule that I didn't learn until after the season started.

I thought if he finished the inning it was clean slate. He could pitch whatever.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I thought if he finished the inning it was clean slate. He could pitch whatever.

I thought so too at the start of the season.

But the way I understand it is, if you don't face 3 and the inning ends, you can be replaced next inning.   But IF you come out to pitch, you have to complete your 3.

Which really only makes a difference if you face 1 batter and get the third out.   If Castro comes back, he has to face two batters.

If you face 2 batters when you come in and end the inning, and come back, you have to face one batter but that just means you can't be replaced mid-batter which never happens anyway.

• Upvote 1