Ryan Mountcastle hits First and Second MLB Homers

weams

On 8/31/2020 at 12:40 PM, Roll Tide said:

I agree but also think he’s going to need to continue to walk some. Something he didn’t do much in the minors

Definitely. He walked 4 times in his first four games (.333 batting avg), but hasn't walked since- 0 walks in his last six games (.320 avg). He had 2 runs and 1 RBI in those first four games, and 2 runs and 4 RBI in his last six. Pitchers will adjust, and it would be helpful if he were to be more selective and take those walks. Let's see how he does this last month of the season. 

6 hours ago, linedrive said:

Definitely. He walked 4 times in his first four games (.333 batting avg), but hasn't walked since- 0 walks in his last six games (.320 avg). He had 2 runs and 1 RBI in those first four games, and 2 runs and 4 RBI in his last six. Pitchers will adjust, and it would be helpful if he were to be more selective and take those walks. Let's see how he does this last month of the season. 

I agree hopefully our hitting couch is preaching patience. 

Nice to see you posting!

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t either.  Here’s the thread from when he was picked.  

Yea, I don’t remember some outcry about the pick(not saying it didn’t happen, just doesn’t stick out to me).  It’s possible that there was someone else that was available that people wanted based off of what the “experts” were saying though. 

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Has Mountcastle had any tough chances in the outfield yet?

He made a nice backhand catch while running back towards the corner over the weekend.  That’s the only tough chance I’ve seen, but by no means have I been watching every inning of every game.  https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-mountcastle-s-leaping-catch

On 9/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, MurphDogg said:

According to Baseball Savant, Mountcastle is tied with Hays for the third fastest sprint speed on the team. 87th percentile.

So what is going on here?   Fangraphs graded Mountcastle’s speed at 45/40 before the season.  Last fall, OH also graded Mountcastle’s speed at 45/40.    After the 2017 season, OH graded him at 40/40.   (No tool grades were given in the 2018 scouting reports.).  So how is he now an 87th percentile runner?   Did all the scouts miss this?   Has he done something in the offseason to dramatically improve his speed?   Is that even possible?

I don’t get it, but I’m happy about it.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

So what is going on here?   Fangraphs graded Mountcastle’s speed at 45/40 before the season.  Last fall, OH also graded Mountcastle’s speed at 45/40.    After the 2017 season, OH graded him at 40/40.   (No tool grades were given in the 2018 scouting reports.).  So how is he now an 87th percentile runner?   Did all the scouts miss this?   Has he done something in the offseason to dramatically improve his speed?   Is that even possible?

That is interesting.  Maybe the Orioles wanted to try him in LF over 1B because he runs well?

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Maybe they worked on some running form deficiency while he was in Bowie?  I don't know, speed is something that pretty easy to get an accurate reading on and doesn't generally go up as you age.