Keegan Akin 2020

Il BuonO

Just now, interloper said:

The fastball looks nice. The breaking ball looks good against lefties. The changeup, he threw a couple good ones but it needs some work. 

I wish this guy had a nasty curve and he'd be Bedard. I just want Akin to be Bedard, ok?? He wears the same number, too. 

I also miss Bedard talking to the press.

Think they can get him to do color for the games?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I admit part of the appeal of Bedard is how much he annoyed the beat reporters. 

I also enjoyed him "taking himself out of games".  I think more pitchers should be honest with the Managers instead of trying to tough it out and getting lit up.

But boy did it annoy the old school crew.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I also enjoyed him "taking himself out of games." I think that more pitchers should be honest with their Managers instead of trying to tough it out, and getting lit up.

But boy, did it annoy the old-school crew.

o

I'm done ......

Bedard Took Himself Out of No-Hitter

(Associated Press)

https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/36545/Bedard-Took-Himself-Out-Of-No-Hitter

o

• Thanks 1

Just getting through the DVR of his first start - for a AAA full year guy, can't get more comfy than Buffalo for a first start in the show.

I don't know whether Akin will prove to be any good, but unlike many of his teammates, I'm actually interested to see him pitch.  I haven't DVR'ed an Oriole start for postgame playback in...some time.

Savant has it 49 fastballs, 19 sliders and 13 changeups, about 60/25/15 percentage-wise.  Bordick called out the 1st CH as easily readable because of whole body slowing down, but later praised a few others.  He did get a swinging strike 3 on Vlad on an offspeed pitch.

Liked the pull after 17 batters faced; TTOP avoidance probably going to be a game the embryonic good Rutschman teams will play a lot until we see if any of Baumann/Hall/Rodriguez/2021 pick 1-X become hosses.

The Batter 9 matchup with Espinal had a 1960's vibe - felt like Akin just tried to run him over, and Espinal not quite strong enough to get it over Mountcastle's head.

Even if he can't manage the 30 SP/150 IP thing, the stuff might be hot enough for a try at the Arthur Rhodes type things.

Now please can we get Kremer for Eshelman (or even, bestill my heart, Baumann) as there's a view of how the 40 looks post trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Just getting through the DVR of his first start - for a AAA full year guy, can't get more comfy than Buffalo for a first start in the show.

I don't know whether Akin will prove to be any good, but unlike many of his teammates, I'm actually interested to see him pitch.  I haven't DVR'ed an Oriole start for postgame playback in...some time.

Savant has it 49 fastballs, 19 sliders and 13 changeups, about 60/25/15 percentage-wise.  Bordick called out the 1st CH as easily readable because of whole body slowing down, but later praised a few others.  He did get a swinging strike 3 on Vlad on an offspeed pitch.

Liked the pull after 17 batters faced; TTOP avoidance probably going to be a game the embryonic good Rutschman teams will play a lot until we see if any of Baumann/Hall/Rodriguez/2021 pick 1-X become hosses.

The Batter 9 matchup with Espinal had a 1960's vibe - felt like Akin just tried to run him over, and Espinal not quite strong enough to get it over Mountcastle's head.

Even if he can't manage the 30 SP/150 IP thing, the stuff might be hot enough for a try at the Arthur Rhodes type things.

Now please can we get Kremer for Eshelman (or even, bestill my heart, Baumann) as there's a view of how the 40 looks post trade deadline.

Interesting post. What is TTOP?

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Interesting post. What is TTOP?

Times Through (the) Order Penalty - the gist of the idea is by the third PA the batter has figured out the SP/Follower, and/or the pitch count is eating into the zip of the pitches, so odds tilt the batter's way substantially.   As middle distance pitching grows, there are deployment games teams can play to minimize giving batters that 3rd look, virtually ever.

Some teams might have 1-2 starters good enough to beat the top of the lineup thrice, and even Wade Miley can (try) in the occasional 8-2 game, but in general its a bad bet, and you're probably better off with Lakins than Akin against the top of the Blue Jays lineup in a close game even if the starter hasn't let any runs in yet.

60-game season and expanded rosters just increase the opportunities if clubs are really scratching for each win (as I hope we will by '22) instead of protecting a guy in his first start.

15 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Times Through (the) Order Penalty - the gist of the idea is by the third PA the batter has figured out the SP/Follower, and/or the pitch count is eating into the zip of the pitches, so odds tilt the batter's way substantially.   As middle distance pitching grows, there are deployment games teams can play to minimize giving batters that 3rd look, virtually ever.

Some teams might have 1-2 starters good enough to beat the top of the lineup thrice, and even Wade Miley can (try) in the occasional 8-2 game, but in general its a bad bet, and you're probably better off with Lakins than Akin against the top of the Blue Jays lineup in a close game even if the starter hasn't let any runs in yet.

60-game season and expanded rosters just increase the opportunities if clubs are really scratching for each win (as I hope we will by '22) instead of protecting a guy in his first start.

Right, except pitch count isn't a factor in the work I have seen.

7 hours ago, interloper said:

The fastball looks nice. The breaking ball looks good against lefties. The changeup, he threw a couple good ones but it needs some work. 

I wish this guy had a nasty curve and he'd be Bedard. I just want Akin to be Bedard, ok?? He wears the same number, too. 

Then we trade him to Seattle for our future CF.