Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

The first HR was a bomb. Even with the 2 homers yesterday, he only has 4 for the year, so I guess the theory that some power would return after being able to have his normal offseason workout routine is pretty much out the window.

As with Hardy, the normal power is gone, but every once in awhile, he can still get a hold of a pitch and drive it deep.

Nick hit one more HR before the all star break, so he now has 5.

Looking at his stats, it's pretty clear pitchers are pitching around him. Only 61.6% of the pitches he's seen have been strikes, compared to 63.4% last year. He's swinging at the first pitch a career high 30.4% of the time (career average 21.6%). Consequently, his P/PA is down significantly. He's striking out more than usual while maintaining a high walk rate. Looks to me like a guy who is getting a bit frustrated and getting outside his comfort zone a bit.

Looking at his stats, it's pretty clear pitchers are pitching around him. Only 61.6% of the pitches he's seen have been strikes, compared to 63.4% last year. He's swinging at the first pitch a career high 30.4% of the time (career average 21.6%). Consequently, his P/PA is down significantly. He's striking out more than usual while maintaining a high walk rate. Looks to me like a guy who is getting a bit frustrated and getting outside his comfort zone a bit.

I bet he'd have a real nice OBP in the second half batting lead off for the Birds. One thing is for sure he would NOT get pitched around!!

Oh well, that ship has sailed I know.

• Upvote 1

Off Chris Sale no less! :eektf: :clap3:

I bet he'd have a real nice OBP in the second half batting lead off for the Birds. One thing is for sure he would NOT get pitched around!!

Oh well' date=' that ship has sailed I know.[/quote']

So in other words, he would be Hyun Soo Kim, just slightly worse, older, and more expensive?

If the Orioles have a messy history with pitchers, they have a downright awful one with the cut fastball. Peterson, along with G.M. Dan Duquette, is a sworn enemy of the pitch. The two of them have tried to stamp it out from their system, particularly among younger pitchers. "The more you throw that cutter, you can become dependent on it and you start to overuse it," Peterson explained in 2012. "It takes away [from] the development of the fastball and it becomes a crutch."
Through 14 games, Gonzalez looks like another success story for Chicago. The cutter, together with his splitter and overall velocity, has pumped up his strikeout rate to a career-best 17.7 percent, while keeping his walks in check at 8.9 percent and depressing his home run rate to 2.2 percent. Even though his BABIP has risen for the third straight year, Gonzalez has still regained the sheen that he lost as his time in Baltimore wound down.

Brooksbaseball-Chart__70_.0.jpeg

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2016/7/20/11902476/miguel-gonzalez-white-sox-cutter-don-cooper-rick-peterson-witch-doctor

I just don't get it.

I get that it might become a crutch for very young pitchers, but it should be handed right back to them when they are nearing the majors.

I heard a very sad conversation on a podcast where two analysts lamented Gausman's production. They basically just ended the conversation with "well, we just have to hope he gets traded from Baltimore so he can use that cutter again."

I just don't get it.

I get that it might become a crutch for very young pitchers, but it should be handed right back to them when they are nearing the majors.

I heard a very sad conversation on a podcast where two analysts lamented Gausman's production. They basically just ended the conversation with "well, we just have to hope he gets traded from Baltimore so he can use that cutter again."

This is so funny to me that its depressing. God, I hate our FO and how our pitchers become success stories elsehwere.