Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

My memory may be faulty on this.

Didn't DD have the Snider trade for Matusz worked out just before the Winter Meeting when the Toronto news broke?

Your memory is perfect, and a lot better than mine.    https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-orioles-pirates-travis-snider-brian-matusz-20141210-story,amp.html

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

15 guys we drafted or signed in the majors, plus on our own roster Bundy, Givens, Hess, Mancini, Mullins, Means, Wright and Yacabonis.    Not quite enough for a 25-man roster.   

That Travis Snider for Brault and Tarpley trade is looking pretty bad.

I looked at the Yankees on 40-man rosters too (just for comparison); they're at 23 players in the majors.

(4) R. Cano DOM'01
(7) Me. Cabrera DOM'01

(2) F. Cervelli VEN'03

(1) M. Dunn 33'04
(1) I. Nova DOM'04
(5) E. Nunez DOM'04

(1) I. Kennedy 1'06
(1) M. Melancon 9'06
(1) D. Robertson 17'06

(7) J. Pirela VEN'06

(1) A. Vizcaino DOM'07

(1) D. Phelps 14'08
(1) P. Venditte 20'08
(1) M. Banuelos MEX'08

(2) J.R. Murphy 2'09
(1) A. Warren 4'09
(1) S. Greene 15'09

(8) B. Gamel 10'10
(3) T. Austin 13'10

(8) J. Cave 6'11
(1) J. Brebbia 30'11

(6) A. Avelino DOM'11
(1) G. Gallegos MEX'11

(7) P. O'Brien 2'12
(1) N. Goody 6'12
(1) C. Frare 11'12
(1) J. Pazos 13'12
(6) J. Mateo DOM'12
(2) L. Torrens VEN'12

(1) N. Rumbelow 7'13
(1) T. Webb 10'13
(1) Ca. Smith 14'13
(8) Du. Fowler 18'13

(1) J. Kaprielian 1'15
(1) J. Rogers 11'15
(1) C. Carroll 22'15

When I looked at this last season, the Yankees, Diamondbacks, and Rangers had far and away the most in the league, and this corresponded heavily with international signings. Brewers, Tigers, and Marlins had the fewest. The Orioles closer to the bottom, perhaps bottom 5.

An observation was that if you graphed all active 1200 players (a little fewer) on 40-man rosters by the year they were drafted or signed, you'd see a steadily increasing line from the late 90s up through 2012 (takes about 5-6 years to break onto the 40-man roster). With one major exception: 2003 was apparently a horrific draft; there were more active players in the league in 2018 signed professionally in 2001 and 2002 than in 2003. No idea why. Maybe it just happened that way or something about the way you could sign players changed.

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My man Adam!

It's so early, but to me, it's long looked like last year *could* be a down year rather than a downward trend with the bat (2017 he upticked to 787 OPS). Imagine building a franchise into a perennial winner and then all of that falling off a cliff in a few short months? These guys are humans too. Sometimes circumstances wear on you a bit. 

And honestly I think he made his decisions based on that. I think even last year he was probably insulted at the prospect of getting traded to be a part time player. He still believed in his abilities in a rough year for everyone connected to the Orioles.

I think he's primed for one of his classic 30 HR years with the bat. We'll see about the defense, but excited to see how he does. I think he's got plenty left in the tank if he can adjust well to COF. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy
  • Upvote 1

It really is kinda crazy that a line up with Schoop, Machado, Jones, Mancini, Beckham, Trumbo, Davis (2017 was bad but not as bad as 2018) was THAT bad. More than half of those guys were in their prime or younger.

The team was very one dimensional as we know. Virtually no defense, especially switching Manny and Beckham and putting Mancini and Trumbo in the field, which was almost insulting to the game of baseball. But still. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

30 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

My man Adam!

It's so early, but to me, it's long looked like last year *could* be a down year rather than a downward trend with the bat (2017 he upticked to 787 OPS). Imagine building a franchise into a perennial winner and then all of that falling off a cliff in a few short months? These guys are humans too. Sometimes circumstances wear on you a bit. 

And honestly I think he made his decisions based on that. I think even last year he was probably insulted at the prospect of getting traded to be a part time player. He still believed in his abilities in a rough year for everyone connected to the Orioles.

I think he's primed for one of his classic 30 HR years with the bat. We'll see about the defense, but excited to see how he does. I think he's got plenty left in the tank if he can adjust well to COF. 

wRC+ the last 7 seasons: 127, 119, 117, 111, 98, 107, 98

He's been trending down for a while. It wasn't just last year.