Grading the July 2018 Trades: an update

now

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

Kremer seems like a winner. I am really interested in the story of how they got him in the fourteenth round. Were they just lucky with him? Did he develop surpassingly well? Or did they see something very specific in him that nobody else saw?

Kremer gave a fair bit of his own biography on the team podcast.  He shared he was like 5-11, 145 as a high school senior, started JuCo as a 2-way player, then was the Monday practice pitcher to the starting lineup after the coaches decided he couldn't hit well enough.

Most of that came out in an answer to a question whether pitching in an empty ballpark was weird - he said he did it every Monday freshman year.   I wonder if cross checkers even had to weigh in on 38th or even 14th round guys when the draft was still that long.

Later growth spurt, pro coaching, half a decade of weights and here we are.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

How about Pip?

I was Pip for a very long time To several very dear people. And that was also my avatar many times on various social platforms. I didn’t mind being “Pip” But with all that online stuff went away so did the nickname. I’ve kept in touch with one dear woman who still calls me Pip after all these years , And I still smile.

37 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I named my first son Nathaniel, but we've always called him Nate.  Son #2 is Samuel/Sam.  I'm Jonathan and am usually called Jon.  It's very useful to have a longer version of your name so that parents can call you that when you've screwed up.  If it's really serious they have the option of adding the middle name to the full first name.  Then there's no question it's about to go down.

I like the name Nathaniel very much, and I like Samuel a lot as well, very nice biblical names. But if I named my son Nathaniel, I would call him Nathaniel every day. What a great name! I also had a student named Samuel and he was always Samuel and now as a professional adult he is still Samuel. I don’t think he would even recognize the name “Sam”.

I regularly Went to church with a fellow musician named Jonathan, and he was always Jonathan. I haven’t seen him in 30 years, but even so I couldn’t imagine ever calling him anything with Jonathan.

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I like the name Nathaniel very much, and I like Samuel a lot as well, very nice biblical names. But if I named my son Nathaniel, I would call him Nathaniel every day. What a great name! I also had a student named Samuel and he was always Samuel and now as a professional adult he is still Samuel. I don’t think he would even recognize the name “Sam”.

Meh...everyone is different.

I like the idea of a name like Nathaniel or Samuel that provides the ability to sound very professional: Nathaniel So-and-so, attorney at law...or Samuel Whats-his-name, MD. Those are awesome full names, but in a more casual setting I like the idea of using a shorter, easier name like Nate or Sam. It's got more functionality, particularly for a kid that's about to run out of the room.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Honestly, I don't care how the individual trades stack up, but the moves served as a shift into rebuilding as a whole so I'll look it at more has how did the moves as a whole at the deadline pan out?

In the end, if we can get a solid every-day corner outfielder (Diaz), a mid-rotation starter (Kremer), and a couple solid bullpen arms (Pop, Tate), I consider that a win.

On top of that, guys like Bannon, Zimmerman, and Rogers may have a future in some roll.

Honestly, given Manny's expiring contract, the injury questions around Britton and the inconsistent season for Schoop, that's not a terrible deadline, not great, but not terrible.

That's a solid overall take, IMO.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I regularly Went to church with a fellow musician named Jonathan, and he was always Jonathan. I haven’t seen him in 30 years, but even so I couldn’t imagine ever calling him anything with Jonathan.

I kind of like the concept in other languages of formal and informal pronouns.  I know a little German and it's sie or du for the English "you".  You never call anyone but close acquaintances du.  We don't have that, but it's a little like how I see my family names.  Nate and Sam for around the house, yelling on the soccer field, for their buddies.  Nathaniel and Samuel for passports and school paperwork and when they've done something quite good or bad.

For whatever reason 98% of the world has always called me Jon.  There are probably more people here who know me as Drungo than regularly call me Jonathan.  But Jonathan is on my email at work, obviously on paperwork, passports, bills and the like.  Actually, I even sign work emails Jon, but below a line I put full name, title, organization, etc.  It's a duality.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I’m a fan of biblical names — my three kids are Rebecca, Samuel and Benjamin.   We use the shorter version of the two boys’ names.   We use our daughter’s full name but her husband and some friends call her Becca.    My brother Jonathan was Jono as a young boy and Jon thereafter.   

23 hours ago, Philip said:

I was almost named Andrew, but my parents decided against it because they didn’t like “Andy”

Apparently, they had no issues with “Phil,” which I loathe.

Haha.  My parents don't like "Andy" either. Or "Drew."  They would get upset when friends and teachers would call me either.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Haha.  My parents don't like "Andy" either. Or "Drew."  They would get upset when friends and teachers would call me either.

I have a student named Drew. It never occurred to me to ask if it was short for anything. His sister is named “Jorja” which I thought was “Georgia” until she was mentioned in a text from mom.

Boy, that kid is gonna have a devil of a time, all life long, with folks spelling her name wrong.

22 hours ago, Philip said:

I have a student named Drew. It never occurred to me to ask if it was short for anything. His sister is named “Jorja” which I thought was “Georgia” until she was mentioned in a text from mom.

Boy, that kid is gonna have a devil of a time, all life long, with folks spelling her name wrong.

Poor girl :/

Also, Phillips last night.  Yikes.  

23 hours ago, Philip said:

I think you underestimate the number of children today named Ql'zon'da, pronounced "Jasmine".  In 2020 Jorja is unremarkable.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think you underestimate the number of children today named Ql'zon'da, pronounced "Jasmine".  In 2020 Jorja is unremarkable.

Back in 7th grade my English teacher told my class a story that might get her fired today.  One of the students in her other classes saw our vocabulary list for the week and was enamored with the word loquacious and declared that if she had a daughter that would be her name.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Back in 7th grade my English teacher told my class a story that might get her fired today.  One of the students in her other classes saw our vocabulary list for the week and was enamored with the word loquacious and declared that if she had a daughter that would be her name.

I believe that "Loquacious" would be an apt name for @Philip.  So many nicknames (Loco, QAnon, Oqua).  And if that student later had a child so named, that child would definitely be unique (and hopefully not eunuch).  Loquacious is a nice moniker.  My apt name would be taciturn.

https://www.scb.se/en/finding-statistics/sverige-i-siffror/namesearch/Search/?nameSearchInput=loquacious

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I believe that "Loquacious" would be an apt name for @Philip.  So many nicknames (Loco, QAnon, Oqua).  And if that student later had a child so named, that child would definitely be unique (and hopefully not eunuch).  Loquacious is a nice moniker.  My apt name would be taciturn.

https://www.scb.se/en/finding-statistics/sverige-i-siffror/namesearch/Search/?nameSearchInput=loquacious

Taciturn, sounds like a Roman senator.

• Upvote 1