O's get #5 pick in 2021 draft

oriolediehard

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m happy to be picking 5th and hope some clear candidates emerge by the time of the 2021 draft.    I’ve read a couple of names, but the whole scene will look vastly different by next July.  

IF colleges (and high schools) play in the spring. Otherwise it's a COMPLETE blind choice...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

IF colleges (and high schools) play in the spring. Otherwise it's a COMPLETE blind choice...

Elias said on the team podcast the hope/expectation was a lot more combine stuff in the late spring/early summer.  Believe the draft being pushed back to All-Star break will also help clubs catch up on their looks.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Elias said on the team podcast the hope/expectation was a lot more combine stuff in the late spring/early summer.  Believe the draft being pushed back to All-Star break will also help clubs catch up on their looks.

If youth sports and college football are happening now then I am sure they will play in the spring 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fair tradeoff for how much fun I had during the season. 

If Elias can't build something picking 1-2-5 he's not fit for the job.

Very true.  Our 2 was a 5 this year, so maybe this year our 5 could be a 2 if someone falls.

• Haha 1

A Competitive Balance draft slot can be traded only during a period of time starting on December 2nd and extending up until two hours prior to the MLB First-Year Player Draft (MLB Rule 4 Draft). The slot cannot be traded for cash unless it is a financial adjustment made to offset the salary of one or more of the players involved in the trade. Also, a Competitive Balance draft slot can be traded only once (only by the club that was awarded the pick). Once traded, the slot cannot be "flipped" to a third club.
NOTE: 2020 and 2021 Rule 4 Competitive Balance draft picks cannot be traded beginning on March 28, 2020, and extending through the conclusion of the 2021 draft.  

If a player selected with a Competitive Balance draft pick does not sign, the club receives a compensation selection in the next Rule 4 Draft, one slot lower than where the club selected the previous season. There is no further compensation if a player selected with a Competitive Balance compensation draft pick does not sign.

Interesting tidbit .....I assume we pick between the second and third?

https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3556

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, scOtt said:

Any decent baseball training facility has data.  Even Little League kids are given things like launch angle and exit velocity.  It just isn’t info that we can get.  So not completely blind.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Any decent baseball training facility has data.  Even Little League kids are given things like launch angle and exit velocity.  It just isn’t info that we can get.  So not completely blind.

I don't know where your kids play little league, but around here most games aren't even recorded,  much less having any kind of data like launch angles and exit velocity.

6 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I don't know where your kids play little league, but around here most games aren't even recorded,  much less having any kind of data like launch angles and exit velocity.

I think he’s saying a little league aged kid can go to a training facility and get this data.   

• Upvote 2