Milone Trade Complete

weams

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Based on how Milone pitched (predictably) for the Braves, we would have won this deal with a bag of balls coming back. Sounds like we did a little better than that. 

3 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, I saw some article about how pissed Braves fans must be seeing what they gave up for Tommy Milone, and I almost did a double take. I mean, if we gave away Toby Welk and slightly better Cadyn Greiner for nothing I wouldn't be happy about it, but upset/pissed would be far too strong of a word to describe my feelings

2 hours ago, Ripken said:

I was happy with the original return for Milone: Milone not being an Oriole anymore.

Yep. Parlaying Milone into anything, even solid org guys with utility/backup profiles ceilings is not a bad day of work. Elias likes his middle infielders because they are athletic and that typically means they can be tried in the outfield to add some versatility if needed. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Nah, ERod was a much better prospect than either of the guys we got from the Braves. And unlike Tommy Milone, Andrew Miller was a huge asset for us that year

I wouldn't call either of the guys we got from the Braves, Greiner or Welk "decent prospects." Some of them are arguably prospects, but not anything to be even a little excited about

Yeah I said the Miller trade was much bigger. Just that both teams gave up players controlled for years and got back a couple months of a pitcher.

And Miller was not an asset. We already had a kick-@$$ pen. Miller just made it bullet proof. But that's an old debate. ?

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

Yeah I said the Miller trade was much bigger. Just that both teams gave up players controlled for years and got back a couple months of a pitcher.

And Miller was not an asset. We already had a kick-@$$ pen. Miller just made it bullet proof. But that's an old debate. ?

I didn’t like the EdRod-Miller trade, and still don’t, but let’s be clear:   Miller was fantastic down the stretch and in the playoffs.    He gave us 100% of what we could have expected from him in the best case scenario.    The Milone trade is not comparable because Milone gave the Braves absolutely nothing.    Sure expectations for him shouldn’t have been super-high, but he was absolutely awful and far below his mid-point expectation.   

On 11/6/2020 at 1:33 PM, Tony-OH said:

I know we are rehashing old stuff, but the Miller trade is exactly the kind of trade real World Series contenders make, and the Orioles were a real World Series contender in 2014.

I didnt have an issue at the time, and I still do not have an issue. However, some posters never liked the trade and they still have to jab away at it.

I would make the trade again, with a second thought.

• Upvote 1

I was playing OOTP game where I took over the 1988 Orioles and rebuilt them when I acquired Matt Stairs in a trade. It was then I started to think that if you squint real hard, Greg Cullen has some similarities with longtime bat first Stairs. They are built similarly, hit from the same side, and had some similiar type numbers in the minors though Cullens first two years though Stairs was placed aggressively by the Expos back in the day and was about a level ahead of Cullen.

So I'm by no means saying Cullen in the next Matt Stairs, but I am suggesting Stairs could be his absolute ceiling as a player. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bpilktree said:

If we are going to compare trades I think the Zach Davies for Parra trade was much closer then the Miller trade.  

Not to get off topic, but apparently i will again ;) , the Davies for Parra trade was the first time I significantly hated, and I don't use that word often with baseball, a move that DD made. It still to this day feel that DD had lost so  much influence the previous off season, that this was his hail mary play to try and get a .500 Orioles team into the payoffs. 

I also know the organization failed to evaluate what they had in Davies as I was always higher than everyone I spoke to about him within the organizations. Most felt he was a swingman, middle reliever and I always disagreed and rated him higher. 

After the 2014 season, I had him rated #4 overall in the system and said this:

4. Zach Davies - RHP - Full Profile (Plus Members): He's never going to get a lot of publicity due to his size and lack of premium velocity, but if he's going to pitch in the major leagues in some role. We would not bet against him pitching as a 4th starter for years to come.

MLB Pipeline had Davies ranked 8th overall behind such luminaries as Mike Wright (#16 on my list), Tim Berry (#13), and Josh Hart (Not on my list). 

Not to toot my own horn, but I also had Christian Walker (#7) and Mike Yastrzemski (#9) in my top 10 that year. I struck out with Dariel Alvarez (#5) and Jomar Reyes (#6) though.

Either way, it's always interesting to look back. I was always a big fan of Davies and overlooked his small build because of the stuff he was able to carry into the 7th inning and his ability to use four pitches in all quadrants of the zone.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not to get off topic, but apparently i will again ;) , the Davies for Parra trade was the first time I significantly hated, and I don't use that word often with baseball, a move that DD made. It still to this day feel that DD had lost so  much influence the previous off season, that this was his hail mary play to try and get a .500 Orioles team into the payoffs. 

I also know the organization failed to evaluate what they had in Davies as I was always higher than everyone I spoke to about him within the organizations. Most felt he was a swingman, middle reliever and I always disagreed and rated him higher. 

After the 2014 season, I had him rated #4 overall in the system and said this:

4. Zach Davies - RHP - Full Profile (Plus Members): He's never going to get a lot of publicity due to his size and lack of premium velocity, but if he's going to pitch in the major leagues in some role. We would not bet against him pitching as a 4th starter for years to come.

MLB Pipeline had Davies ranked 8th overall behind such luminaries as Mike Wright (#16 on my list), Tim Berry (#13), and Josh Hart (Not on my list). 

Not to toot my own horn, but I also had Christian Walker (#7) and Mike Yastrzemski (#9) in my top 10 that year. I struck out with Dariel Alvarez (#5) and Jomar Reyes (#6) though.

Either way, it's always interesting to look back. I was always a big fan of Davies and overlooked his small build because of the stuff he was able to carry into the 7th inning and his ability to use four pitches in all quadrants of the zone.

The comment that Really stuck in my mind was that that was the first DD move that you really hated, but it certainly wasn’t the only one was it?

Edited by Philip