Mayo: “I would be surprised if (Adley) is not in the big leagues in 2021."

wildcard

Mayo says "If you told me (Adley) would be in Baltimore by the All Star break, I would have no trouble believing that."

And Steve Melewski says Elias has indicated that Adley will begin the season at AA.    

I have not heard either of this things before.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/11/talking-os-farm-with-mlbpipelinecoms-jonathan-mayo.html

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just reporting what Melewski and Mayo said.  I have not heard Elias saying that Adley will begin at AA.  And I would not be surprised if Adley does not make the majors until 2022.    The most important thing is Elias plans and Adley performance next season.  I will just have to wait for more information on that.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I actually hope that happens, just to watch your head explode!

We'll know the worm has turned when the hot rookies (Kjerstad '22, Gunnar '23) start getting a little over 130 AB's/year so Rookie of the Year awards don't goof up arb tracks, and maximizing ML wins gets past maximizing Farm rankings.   Something will have gone wrong with 2021 if Adley earns just one month, not three.

From Baseball America 19 MLB Prospects Who Impressed Scouts At Instructional League In 2020.

Adley Rutschman, C, Orioles

Rutschman refined his swing at the alternate site over the summer and showed off the finished product in instructs. He showed the ability to hit for power, hit for average and played at least above-average defense behind the plate. Beyond his tools, Rutschman’s polish stood out prominently—evaluators opined he was not only ready for the major leagues, but that he would be one of MLB’s best catchers immediately.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pat Kelly said:

From Baseball America 19 MLB Prospects Who Impressed Scouts At Instructional League In 2020.

Adley Rutschman, C, Orioles

Rutschman refined his swing at the alternate site over the summer and showed off the finished product in instructs. He showed the ability to hit for power, hit for average and played at least above-average defense behind the plate. Beyond his tools, Rutschman’s polish stood out prominently—evaluators opined he was not only ready for the major leagues, but that he would be one of MLB’s best catchers immediately.

So, if this is true, what does it mean for the O's?   Adley has not played a day at AA or AAA.  Does he begin the season at one of those levels and get moved up after a couple of months?   If that is true do they non tender Severino and being the season with cheaper players like Sisco and Wynns?   Wynns is out of options so he will have to go through  waivers if he is sent down.   Maybe that is why Wynns is still on the 40 man roster. What does that do to the catching depth?   O's have signed Taylor Davis to a AAA minor league contract.  

When the Rutschman era is ready to begin, I think that means that other talented players get promoted faster.  Diaz was reported to be close to ready for the major last summer.   He may spend a few days at AAA but if he has a good spring camp and looks good he will probably be up to the majors before very long.  All the more reason to make room on the 26 man roster by DFAing Nunez.

If Rutschman is in the majors the O's will not want to rush GrayRod and DL Hall but they will want promote them up levels as soon as they think they are ready.  I think the slow rounding is over when Rutschman arrives.  It will be time to play the core team together as soon as they can.