Orioles Agree to Deal With Severino

VaBird1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Didn't Iglesias just have an atypical strong year (with the bat)?.   Just saying.   Severino is 27, I believe, and he had a strong start last year.   He's capable of putting up a good 2-3 months.   

Not sure I’m following your point.   Iglesias is an established veteran and I’m quite sure the Angels did not acquire him thinking he was a .373 hitter or even a .300 hitter.   Severino is still developing and if he were to post a .780+ OPS for a few months, some team might interpret that as actual improvement rather than an SSS anomaly.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Not sure I’m following your point.   Iglesias is an established veteran and I’m quite sure the Angels did not acquire him thinking he was a .373 hitter or even a .300 hitter.   Severino is still developing and if he were to post a .780+ OPS for a few months, some team might interpret that as actual improvement rather than an SSS anomaly.  

Well let’s hope we find a team dumb enough to believe that!  :)

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It wouldn't be horribly inconsistent with the .740 and .710 he posted in 2019 and 2020, respectively, either - at a position where the league-wide split is below .700

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If Iglesias had hit .220 with a .620 OPS, I'm not sure the Orioles would have re-signed him for 3.5M and gotten what they did, SSS or not.   What he did with the Orioles helped his value, IMO.    You are correct, that any hot streak by Severino could have a greater effect on his value as some teams might believe he's turned the corner or the light bulb has come on.     The Angels didn't acquire Iglesias thinking he's a .373 hitter but I think what he did last season certainly makes them more confident in what they are getting.

I think it’s definitely possible that what he did in 2020 shows that 2019 may not have been a fluke and for the small price they paid to find out, why not?

If you are Elias, would you dangle Severino to the Rockies? They non tendered the “beloved by everyone who watches baseball” Tony Wolters, who was their starter. They have 2 catchers in the 40 and Sevy would be an immediate upgrade to both.

His offense would probably get a big boost in Colorado and he shouldn’t have to worry about defense much, since pitches don’t break anyway there. 

I don’t know anything about the Rockies system, so not sure what a decent pick up would be.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:19 AM, TommyPickles said:

I like the resigning of Severino.  Plus it can't hurt to have a little more offensive production from the catcher spot, considering the bats of the people we'll be running out to play middle infield next year...

He is so streaky that when he is in his funk he will be worse than the MIF we run out there.

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If you are Elias, would you dangle Severino to the Rockies? They non tendered the “beloved by everyone who watches baseball” Tony Wolters, who was their starter. They have 2 catchers in the 40 and Sevy would be an immediate upgrade to both.

His offense would probably get a big boost in Colorado and he shouldn’t have to worry about defense much, since pitches don’t break anyway there. 

I don’t know anything about the Rockies system, so not sure what a decent pick up would be.

I would dangle him to anyone whi would take him. I didn't want him back at any cost let alone 1.8M

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Why would we not?

Because he has 525 Ml at bats spanning 4 seasons.  Because he has a high walk rate and is coming off his best season OpS wise.  Because he is still relatively young and your other alternatives don’t have his offensive upside.  He absolutely should be getting a majority of the at bats right now.

He may end up nothing..it’s likely that he will but giving him space at bats is poor for his development.  

If the attitude is, we don’t care about winning, why would you not give him at bats?  

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Because he has 525 Ml at bats spanning 4 seasons.  Because he has a high walk rate and is coming off his best season OpS wise.  Because he is still relatively young and your other alternatives don’t have his offensive upside.  He absolutely should be getting a majority of the at bats right now.

He may end up nothing..it’s likely that he will but giving him space at bats is poor for his development.  

If the attitude is, we don’t care about winning, why would you not give him at bats?  

I don’t really argue with anything you said, except that he’s so bad in every way except his walk rate that if we could find somebody better, I don’t see any reason not to make the change.

edit: let me Clarify that although I personally think Sisco has shown us what he is, I have no problem keeping him until someone better comes along. 
however, the organization shouldn’t stop looking for a better catcher because they have confidence in Sisco blossoming. It shouldn’t be difficult to find a catcher that is better on defense, or if you prefer, on offense, and if you don’t care about either, a guy who at least runs faster and knows how to apply a tag. And if we do find one, it’s a simple matter to just send him down.

Edited by Philip

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I tend to agree that Sisco is not .100 worse at the big league level than he was in the minors. Seems to me that he is likely the kind of guy that you need to go with everyday. 525 ABs over for seasons means he's played sporadically at best.

Rays are looking for cheap C help.  Maybe a match here?

They do want to cut costs though.  But maybe if we took back Tsutsugo (to play third) and sent them Severino, we could net a decent prospect as well?  The net gain in terms of dollars will be 5.2M.(if a full season is played)

They have a very good farm system, so adding anyone that could be in the top 10 or just outside their top 10 would probably make it worth it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Rays are looking for cheap C help.  Maybe a match here?

They do want to cut costs though.  But maybe if we took back Tsutsugo (to play third) and sent them Severino, we could net a decent prospect as well?  The net gain in terms of dollars will be 5.2M.(if a full season is played)

They have a very good farm system, so adding anyone that could be in the top 10 or just outside their top 10 would probably make it worth it.

Are you suggesting the O's add 5M in payroll?

I don't think that is going to happen this year.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you suggesting the O's add 5M in payroll?

I don't think that is going to happen this year.

Yea I doubt it too.  But this is the type of thing they should be looking to do for sure and if you can add what would likely be a top 10 prospect to your organization, you should do it.  Tsutsugo has some upside as well.