Sanchez signs for 1 million

HowAboutThat

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, though he hits like a utility guy from the left side at least. He's 28 so this is nothing more than a place holder. My guess he upgrades the defense enough at 2B that Elias pictures some great up the middle defense behind his potentially young pitching staff.

Elias in video:  "Sanchez is a plus defender certainly at second  and third  and probably a pretty good shortstop.  We have a little less information to go on at SS but from what we have seen we think he can help at that position as well."

His comments are at the 6:00 mark.

https://www.masnsports.com/videos/2020/11/mike-elias-names-chris-holt-new-orioles-pitching-coach.html

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno, Valaika's defense is suspect at best.  I saw enough of him at SS last year to not want to see him move 50 feet to his right.  

His bat was encouraging, I am not sure if it outweighs his defense.  

Yeah... his career numbers at SS are pretty awful.. particularly last year

But he's a passable fielder for his career

.995 in 330 innings at 2B

.960 in 170 innings at 3B

If he can mash 32+ it's probably worth it

Edited by owknows

1 hour ago, Philip said:

The question is why sign Severino at all, but also, why sign him for so much. If they were able to get gold glove defense for only $1 million why does it cost so much to get Severino who does not offer gold glove defense, When it is desperately needed at catcher.

Severino offers better offense than the norm at catcher. Glove skills is not the only variable in player valuation. 

I think Ruiz comes back for the first hack at 3rd base.  With Sanchez in the fold now, I think Elias will choose one of Valaika and Alberto to be a platoon between 2B and 3B to spell Sanchez and Ruiz, probably which ever one will sign for cheaper.  I am fine with this.

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Severino offers better offense than the norm at catcher. Glove skills is not the only variable in player valuation. 

Oh of course, but we need defense more than we need office from our catching, and Severino’s offense  is not good enough to make up for his bad defense.

It did occur to me that possibly Mike will still get another catcher and send Sisco down. But two defensively limited catchers Sure seems unwise.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Oh of course, but we need defense more than we need office from our catching, and Severino’s offense  is not good enough to make up for his bad defense.

It did occur to me that possibly Mike will still get another catcher and send Sisco down. But two defensively limited catchers Sure seems unwise.

Why?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Not a bad idea. From the baseball side of things. I am not sure from the $ side of it. Depends on where his salary lands. I still would like to see Bannon get a shot. 

If they can get him at ~$1.5-2M, I like it. He's a career .831 hitter against lefties (.917 in 2020) with a pretty decent / good glove.  I think that's a decent price for about 200 PA of plus offense with good D behind it. 

2 hours ago, Philip said:

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

I second CoC's question here. Additionally, I strongly challenge the assumption that the going rate for no-hit MIF with "GG-level" defense is directly analogous to the going rate (and availability) for "GG-level" catchers.