Projected Orioles 2021 Opening Day Payroll (ODP)

AZRon

On 12/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, Sports Guy said:

Btw Frobby, to answer your first question...it’s more #2 than #1 but it’s not really that cut and dry.  I just want Elias to have the freedom to acquire talent in any way he wants.  

Let’s say the Rangers called us up and they said if you take Roughned Odor’s contract, we will also send you Josh Jung.  He is a top 50ish prospect, top 10 pick in 2019. He is a third baseman.  Let’s just say that Elias loves Jung and is more than willing to take on the rest of that deal to get him.  I want him to be able to go to ownership and say this is what I want and them say, of course you can do it if you feel that strongly about Jung.

There is no way I believe he can do that.

And just in general, I think the Os should be trying to be better and win more games.  It’s been a while now, it’s time to stop caring about wins.  (I think that time came prior to 2020)

He can still do everything else he is trying to do and still improve the team and win.

To be clear: 

2018  .290 winning percentage

2019 .333

2020  .417

The team has improved in Elias’ two years.   Let’s not forget the crap he inherited, plus a poor farm system (maybe a bit underrated though) with no international pipeline to speak of.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear: 

2019 .333

2020  .417

The team has improved in Elias’ two years.   Let’s not forget the crap he inherited, plus a poor farm system (maybe a bit underrated though) with no international pipeline to speak of.

That "poor" farm system includes three players ranked in the top 100.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear: 

2019 .333

2020  .417

You mean the poor farm system that is largely made up of players that were brought in under the previous regime  and are a big reason for the ranking of that farm system?

And I have no idea what this has to do with the post you quoted?

With the Freddy Galvis signing, the ODP is now projected at $61.25M

Anthony Santander's projected salary is the midpoint between the Orioles' offer and Santander's ask pending the arbitration hearing where the arbiter must choose either the team's offer or the player's ask.

The updated chart is available on Google docs at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r9rXsnRddT87SU72o4a0Jn6q_fIDbi3Dxlu_9OZiqCo/edit?usp=sharing

On 1/26/2021 at 9:52 PM, AZRon said:

With the Freddy Galvis signing, the ODP is now projected at $61.25M

Anthony Santander's projected salary is the midpoint between the Orioles' offer and Santander's ask pending the arbitration hearing where the arbiter must choose either the team's offer or the player's ask.

The updated chart is available on Google docs at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r9rXsnRddT87SU72o4a0Jn6q_fIDbi3Dxlu_9OZiqCo/edit?usp=sharing

Wow so that leaves like 80m for "scouting and development" this season. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AZRon said:

Opening Post

I've updated the ODP chart for the trade of Alex Cobb. It's available on Google docs at:

My current projected ODP is $46.82M

Chris Davis's salary represents just a hair under 1/2 the current ODP.

The 10M for Cobb still has to be accounted for.

I'll be surprised if Means gets 800K and Fry get 700K but that is just an opinion right now.   And its small potatoes in the scheme of things.

Opening Post

I've updated the ODP chart for the arbitration ruling on Santander. The chart is  available on Google docs at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r9rXsnRddT87SU72o4a0Jn6q_fIDbi3Dxlu_9OZiqCo/edit?usp=sharing

My current projected ODP (using my guesses as to the opening day 26 man roster) is $46.63M

Chris Davis's salary still represents just a hair under 1/2 my current ODP.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AZRon said:

Opening Post

I've updated the ODP chart for the arbitration ruling on Santander. The chart is  available on Google docs at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r9rXsnRddT87SU72o4a0Jn6q_fIDbi3Dxlu_9OZiqCo/edit?usp=sharing

My current projected ODP (using my guesses as to the opening day 26 man roster) is $46.63M

If the 26th roster space is this expensive for all teams they'll likely just get rid of it in the future...

• Haha 1

Opening Post

I've updated the ODP chart for the signing of Maikel Franco and I've projected that he'll start the season at the Bowie alternate site.

I've also projected those players that start the season on the IL. Taking account of each of the preceding, I've made some changes to the opening day roster (ODR). I'm projecting the ODR to be composed of 13 pitchers and 13 position players.

The ODP chart also represents my projected salaries for the pre-arbitration players on the ODR. Though the Orioles have assigned those salaries, I have yet to find a web publication with those 2021 player salaries. I'd appreciate help locating that information.

The chart is  available on Google docs at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r9rXsnRddT87SU72o4a0Jn6q_fIDbi3Dxlu_9OZiqCo/edit?usp=sharing

My current projected ODP (using my guesses as to the opening day 26 man roster) is $49.15M. That figure does not include the $10M that the O's are obligated for this year as a result of the Alex Cobb trade.

All help and replies appreciated -- thanks

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

You always do a great job with this.  One nit.  You have 27 active players and they are only allowed  26. 

I will look forward to your OD post when the final roster is announced.

Right, you are -- thanks for the correction and the compliment.

I replaced Jahmai Jones with D.J. Stewart on the 10 day IL. That brings the opening day roster to 26 and the ODP to $48.57M.

This is pretty, pretty, complicated so, check me out.

Opening Post

The chart is  available on Google docs at: