Chances at a swap on bad contracts for Davis?

ScGO's

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think there are definitely trades out there that we could do to offload Davis.  As you said, if a team can save money on an otherwise immovable contract, I think they do it on a heartbeat.

The question is, why would the Os do it?

Well, the O's would do it if they had the type of ownership group that you wish we had. In that sense, we might be able to take on $10 million in total salary and net a prospect or two. I have a very hard time imagining a scenario where that would work.

If you want to get over creative, what could work in theory is us trading for a somewhat less bad contract while throwing in a potential valuable contributor for a contending team. Our position of depth appears to be CoF. Davis + Santander for some meh contract could save ownership a lot of money, in theory. 

That's the only way this works.

54 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Are our chances even as good as winning the Powerball jackpot for 300 million?

I think a Davis trade is 1 in a million, far better than the 1 in 292,201,338 for the powerball....

1g5u5w.jpg

And no, I am not saying this....

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think there are definitely trades out there that we could do to offload Davis.  As you said, if a team can save money on an otherwise immovable contract, I think they do it on a heartbeat.

The question is, why would the Os do it?

If the money is close and they could save some face by trying the old change of scenery type move.  I don't think it will happen, but that's about the only reason I see them trying it.

Any trade that would involve unloading Davis would involve taking on more money than Davis is owed. It would have to be trading Davis for a guy that another team is wanting to drop, but is owed more money than Davis which leads to the following question:

Why would the Orioles make that trade?

Why spend more money on an equally unusable player (even if he's slightly less horrific at baseball that Davis at this point)? It doesn't make sense, particularly for a team that just non-tendered Alberto and released Nunez in money saving moves. If they're willing to lose players to save a couple million why would they take on millions more to get arid of Davis? The only answer there is if a usable player comes back, but then why would a team trade a usable player for Davis even if it's saving some money? I'm talking a bit in circles here, but I just cannot fathom a situation where a deal would exist that would make sense for the other team that would also make sense for the Orioles.

The best option for Davis is to just eat the money, but given the uncertainties around 2021 (COVID) and 2022 (collective bargaining agreement), that's not going to happen until next off season after a new CBA is signed.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh come on.

Name one.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh come on.

Name one.

Cabrera is an obvious one.  

Perhaps the Cubs would rather just be done with Hayward’s deal a year early?  I tend to doubt that one as he shown some life but maybe?

Stanton?  I could see that.

Harper?  Probably too early but I wouldn’t be surprised if they thought about it.

May also be able to combine some contracts on teams.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cabrera is an obvious one.  

Perhaps the Cubs would rather just be done with Hayward’s deal a year early?  I tend to doubt that one as he shown some life but maybe?

Stanton?  I could see that.

Harper?  Probably too early but I wouldn’t be surprised if they thought about it.

May also be able to combine some contracts on teams.  

I don't see how any of those franchises could justify it.  I don't see how the Orioles, with their tight pockets, could swing a trade that would allow the Yankees to get rid of Stanton or for the Phillies to get rid of Harper.  Even if the Yankees or Phillies footed a large part of the bill, it doesn't make sense, the Orioles aren't going to spend that much on a player anytime soon.  I guess the Cabrera/Hayward scenarios are more likely but I wouldn't bank on it. 

IMO, the Orioles and Davis are locked in a staring contest. The Orioles, I'm assuming, would love Davis to retire and leave the rest of that contract on the table. Davis knows that he's got to hang on for another two seasons to make, what, 40ish million?  And then collect a nice paycheck each year until something like 2037.  

I'm uncertain as to why they haven't cut him yet and moved on, but whatever.  At this point I'm fully resigned to the fact that we're going to have to have him on the roster for two more seasons.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see how any of those franchises could justify it.  I don't see how the Orioles, with their tight pockets, could swing a trade that would allow the Yankees to get rid of Stanton or for the Phillies to get rid of Harper.  Even if the Yankees or Phillies footed a large part of the bill, it doesn't make sense, the Orioles aren't going to spend that much on a player anytime soon.  I guess the Cabrera/Hayward scenarios are more likely but I wouldn't bank on it. 

IMO, the Orioles and Davis are locked in a staring contest. The Orioles, I'm assuming, would love Davis to retire and leave the rest of that contract on the table. Davis knows that he's got to hang on for another two seasons to make, what, 40ish million?  And then collect a nice paycheck each year until something like 2037.  

I'm uncertain as to why they haven't cut him yet and moved on, but whatever.  At this point I'm fully resigned to the fact that we're going to have to have him on the roster for two more seasons.  

You asked me to show what contracts we could trade for Davis.

I never said we would do it.  I already said in this thread that it doesn’t make sense for the Os.

That being said, there are contracts out there that we could likely swap out.

And they haven’t cut him because ownership hasn’t wanted to pay for him to not be on the team.  It’s that simple.

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Who is out there that may be entertained by a bad contract for a bad contract trade? Is it worth looking into at this point?  We'd probably have to sacrifice two years of Davis for 3 years of someone not quite as terrible, but probably a big waste of money.  Might be able to get lucky and trade someone if they bounce back.  Anything seem realistic below?

Miguel Cabrera, Jason Heyward, or Joey Votto till 2023?

Robinson Cano till 2023 minus his 2021 salary due to suspension?

Myers or Hosmer from SD?

Longoria? We could use a 3B.

Would Boston be trying to get out of the Sale contract?

Justin Upton?

Odor and Andrus in exchange for Davis?  Give us an expensive middle infield for two years, but at least they are stable options.

No.  Davis is literally the worst contract ever, and many of us, including myself, were weary of that before the ink dried in 2016.  Any team that acquires his contract, even in a salary dump on their end, should fire their GM immediately.

I was thinking about the Chris Davis problem and wonder if an opportunity may be presenting itself with the new president-elect and his economic policies.  This is not a political post.  It can be found easily online that Biden supports an increase in the top tax rate to approx 39.6% from about 37% today.  Rounding to 2.5%, that could result - depending on if and when such a tax rate became law - for an additional $1M or so in taxes Chris Davis would pay to the US government in 2021 and 2022. 

Complicating this, of course, is the real possibility of the 2021 season not starting on time and there being additional savings there from Chris' salary if the season does not start on time.  The Os would not want to pay Chris for five months in 2021 if the season is really four months and Chris would not want to sign a deal to get paid for five months if the entire season is played.  Maybe some contingencies could be worked out.

Still, the higher tax rates could be the basis for the Os and Davis starting a discussion that gives Chris a reason to retire now and still receive a majority of what he is owed and for the Os to realize some savings.  Just a thought.