Should the Os look into Kris Bryant?

Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We MIGHT get more than we gave up IF he has a "really good" first half.  In that case, we'd pay at least $9 million for a potential improvement prospect swap.

Or, we could pay $18M for a pick we get in exchange for him not taking the QO

Or, we could be stuck with him in 2022 (for whatever the QO is) - potentially blocking prospects

Are we looking for a long term deal for a 3B?

I'd be all for this move! This guy has a OPS around .900 in 5 major league seasons and 2200 ABs with a .370 OBP and career BA of .280,

If they are willing to dump him after 120 ABs in an interrupted season that started late fine.

I'd ask them to eat a portion of the contract (30% ?) and give them a fringe top 30 and a couple of the teenish DSL players.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, it’s a gamble..as are all player acquisitions.  However, you stated there is no reason to pick him up.  That’s false.  There are plenty of reasons.  

Not definite any of them pan out though.

True ... Entertainment value, potential trade value if you trust he's the guy that hes proven over 2200 ABs prior to the interrupted 120 ABs he got in 2020. He's also still only 28 which means you could keep him as a piece if you chose to do so. He'd be a veteran on our improving teams.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well that’s not true at all.

If he has a really good first half of the season, you could trade him for more than you are giving up.  

Also, you could offer him a QO after the year and end up with a pick.

You also may fell in love with the player (and vice versa) and he ends up signing here long term.  

He could also help out the young pitching.

He's expensive and the team that drafted him and watched him become a superstar wants to get rid of him.

I want to know why. If they thought there was a decent probability of him maximizing his value during this season, as illustrated in the reasons you mention above, they too can play that game and thus the price now will likely be too high. If they don't, what do they know that message board dudes do not? 

The best case is the Cubs are in pure cost cutting mode, but even that's bad news because it would give even more credence to the idea that if even the Cubs are desperate to cut payroll, a team like the Orioles must be panicking over payroll.

Add in the fact that the entire league could have had him over the last 12 months, but no trade has happened, and none of this adds up to making sense for the O's to go after Bryant. Something's up with him.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

He's expensive and the team that drafted him and watched him become a superstar wants to get rid of him.

I want to know why. If they thought there was a decent probability of him maximizing his value during this season, as illustrated in the reasons you mention above, they too can play that game and thus the price now will likely be too high. If they don't, what do they know that message board dudes do not? 

The best case is the Cubs are in pure cost cutting mode, but even that's bad news because it would give even more credence to the idea that if even the Cubs are desperate to cut payroll, a team like the Orioles must be panicking over payroll.

Add in the fact that the entire league could have had him over the last 12 months, but no trade has happened, and none of this adds up to making sense for the O's to go after Bryant. Something's up with him.

I think it’s all about money and service time left.

He was a 5ish WAR player in 2019.  

I think there's something to be said for making the team watchable, and while one move might not do that - this move in concert with another - could.  And that could help prevent the team's long-term value from sliding.  So, thinking long-term, the benefits might out-weigh the cost.  This kind of move can give the organization some credibility - as an organization that actually cares about the product they put on the field.  I think they're losing that currently.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think there's something to be said for making the team watchable, and while one move might not do that - this move in concert with another - could.  And that could help prevent the team's long-term value from sliding.  So, thinking long-term, the benefits might out-weigh the cost.  This kind of move can give the organization some credibility - as an organization that actually cares about the product they put on the field.  I think they're losing that currently.  

Yes..admittingly, I have cared less about this in previous years but not anymore.  Putting a representative product on the field holds some value.  Now, I wouldnt do anything that is a detriment to the long term.  I wouldn’t sign anyone to a dumb contract or trade really good prospects for someone on a short deal, etc...but if you can get a good player cheaply, I’m all for it.

I'd vote no.   First we are still acquiring more prospects, not trading them away for expensive talent.   Each prospect is a lottery ticket that may or may not hit big...we are clearly trying to get as many as we can hoping that enough pan out to field a competitive team.  The time will come when we will trade prospects I believe, but that time hasn't arrived yet.   As to the money,  I'm not in the 'if we spend it now,  we still have it to spend in the future camp'.  I think spending frivolous now could hurt us down the road.  I'm not pretending there is a giant pit that the saved money is being stashed into for when we are competitive, but I do believe that the more that is saved now will increase the willingness and ability to increase payroll when it really matters.  We will not, unfortunately, know who is right in this argument until we get there.   Bryant is a talent and in theory I'd enjoy seeing him in an O's uniform.  But it doesn't make sense in this stage of our rebuild.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, connja said:

ONly if the Cubs will take Chris Davis in return ?

Really? Tough crowd here today! I'd love to have this guys bat in the lineup

If you can get the Cubs to pay 6 million, you only need to offset 12 million.

You have already saved $2 million on Alberto, $3.5 million on Iglesias, & $600,000 for Nunez and thats not counting the pitchers moved during the season.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really? Tough crowd here today! I'd love to have this guys bat in the lineup

If you can get the Cubs to pay 6 million, you only need to offset 12 million.

You have already saved $2 million on Alberto, $3.5 million on Iglesias, & $600,000 for Nunez and thats not counting the pitchers moved during the season.

But why would the Cubs be willing to pay $6 million? I say they only do that if it improves the prospects coming back in a deal. And if we're giving up good prospects, do we really want to do that for a guy who's a rental in a rebuild? I'd say no.

There's a narrow range in there where I'd want this deal. First, is if we actually re-sign him and he's a core part of our rebuild. I'm cool with that if our talent evaluators make that evaluation. Second is if he's very cheap in terms of prospects we'd have to give up in a trade, which I doubt is the case.

• Upvote 1

Not sure how much of the contract the Cubs would be willing to eat, but it is an interesting idea.

I feel like people here are always talking about how to aquire prospects for the rebuild, which is obviously important, but if we're looking to contend in 2022 or 2023 or 2024, you also have to pick your veterans you want to extend to be part of that.

A 28-year old former NL MVP could be that kind of player. You also need to think about which of the current players you'd like to see with the team in 22'-24' and consider putting an extension offer in front of them.

All that said, they love Bryant in the North Side; I think he stays a Cub.