Orioles hire Tony Mansolino for 3B Coach & IF Instructor

Obando

Somehow no one on the local Orioles beat has reported on this yet, but per multiple Cleveland Indians media sources, the Orioles are hiring Tony Mansolino as their new 3B coach & infield instructor, replacing Jose Flores.  Mansolino has been in the Indians organization for the last 11 years and spent last year as their minor league infield defense coordinator before being promoted to Indians 3B coach for most of the season once Sandy Alomar took over for Terry Francona.

Here is a link to an article about this hire:

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/12/baltimore-orioles-hire-cleveland-indians-infield-instructor-tony-mansolino-as-third-base-coach.html

• Upvote 1

I am not completely aware of all that Flores did, but in addition to being third base coach, I thought he was the infield coach. I don’t fully know what that entails, but he was really lousy sending runners, and the infield frequently looked like the Keystone cops, so my feeling is that this fellow is an upgrade.

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm picturing a character in the Sopranos. 

Tony Mansolino named the 22nd manager in Clippers history. 2019 FIELD STAFF: https://milb.com/columbus/news/mansolino-named-new-clippers-manager/c-303026732

https://twitter.com/CLBClippers/status/1088090625923264512/photo/1

I'd guess he and Koby have shared in the procurement/development of some of their infielders.  Were it not for the 17 decent OF's who will be looking for jobs up to (and probably past) the Super Bowl, I'd say this adds to Santander Indians infielders speculations, but Eddie Rosario may not end up costing more than Santander the next couple years anyway, so who knows?

I hope Nick will be able to find a job if he wants one - the monster in the closet I hope doesn't happen there is the belated June retirement announcement.  It might be almost to that time if we need a player for a 2021 ad hoc promotional night.   I hope Diaz comes up quick to move Stewart/Mullins to OF4/OF5, but that's probably months and I don't know who OF5 is in the meantime.  (I recognize here I'm willfully ignoring Elias's Mountcastle OF comments as I think Diaz, Hays, Santander better options than him, and if Mountcastle is LF then the non-Mancini 1B/DH is....Stewart, I suppose).

I hadn't quite connected the dot before, but the belated Mountcastle OF attempt was nearly Mancini-ish, though Ryan didn't quite turn the trick of 450 IF/0 OF in his minor league career.   A medium term LF Mountcastle hints that out of Hays, Santander, Diaz, Kjerstad, Vavra, Mullins, Stewart, Haskin, Stowers you only find two passable regulars, while 1B/DH seems thinner organizationally (granted, "prospects" skew away from those two).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Lol, he looks nothing like a Sopranos character.