Does Merv Rettenmund belong in the Orioles Hall of Fame?

Frobby

Does Merv Rettenmund belong in the Orioles Hall of Fame?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Does Merv Rettenmund belong in the Orioles Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/21 at 19:28

1 hour ago, Ridgway22 said:

As an off-the-wall reference to defensive prowess, Strat-O-Matic Baseball (for those that aren't familiar) is a card and dice baseball simulation (and now a computer version) that produces realistic results. Its been around since about 1960, and I replayed the Orioles seasons from about 1971-1985, then real life took over. I still blame Strat for an approximate 1.00 reduction in my overall high school and college GPA's.

Strat-O-Matic defensive ratings are 1, 2, 3, or 4, with a ratting of 1 being gold glove / very good, and 4 representing poor. So, Brooks and Belanger were consistently 1's at their respective positions, and when Boog and Trumbo played outfield, they were 4's, etc. (note fielding rating of 5 was added later)

Outfield arms are measured from +5 to -6, with guys like Clemente and Dwight Evans getting the -5's, and Mickey Rivers and Johnny Damon with +2's and +3's.

I went back and checked Merv's defensive ratings for 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, and they were remarkably consistent for each season:

Left Field  2
Right Field 2
Center Field 3

His arm was rated -1 for 1969, 70, 71, and -2 for 1972

So, using this single reference source, he was an above average outfielder capable of playing all three outfield positions, with a slightly above average arm.

I look at Merv as a slightly above average lunch-pail guy.  Would that be accurate?  I love those kinds of players in all sports.  Like Patrick Ricard on the Ravens.  Kelly Gregg, also... NT leverage master extraordinaire.  These kinds of players, regardless of sport, are essential in teams.

My friend and I dabbled with that game and a Pro Wrestling one like it in the late 70's and 80's. :)

Edited by drjohnnyfeva

19 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I look at Merv as a slightly above average lunch-pail guy.  Would that be accurate?  I love those kinds of players in all sports.  Like Patrick Ricard on the Ravens.  Kelly Gregg, also... NT leverage master extraordinaire.  These kinds of players, regardless of sport, are essential in teams.

My friend and I dabbled with that game and a Pro Wrestling one like it in the late 70's and 80's. :)

I think lunch-pail guy is a good descriptor.... here's a quote from a Sports Illustrated article about Merv Rettenmund from October 4, 1971 (coincidentally, my 9th birthday, and the exact day I found out I'd be seeing the Orioles play the Tokyo Giants in Tokyo a few weeks later!)

"At a time when rebellion is fashionable, even at the old ball park, Merv Rettenmund is an organization man. He seldom grumbles, rarely gripes. He admires his teammates, obeys his manager, respects his owner. He is the compleat ballplayer: a hitter, a runner, a thrower. He will give you—oh Lord—nine innings of baseball."

https://vault.si.com/vault/1971/10/04/well-hes-that-kind-of-guy

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think a more relaxed Norby tags one of those Gausman meatballs for at least a base hit. He fouled some off, and chased some out of the zone. Looking forward to seeing more of him. 
    • Frobby I won’t say that’s a strawman, but that is a blatantly incorrect interpretation of what I have said. I have repeatedly said that sometimes you do the right thing and lose anyway, and vice versa. I have also said that there’s nothing wrong with being wrong.  But you’ve watched the games too, you know there have been games that were lost because of objectively bad decisions. I don’t care about Gunnar throwing away that ball in the Pittsburgh series, I don’t care about holiday making a mistake. Things happen. I care about Hyde Making obvious mistakes.  Are you saying that not one single game has been lost because of such? I don’t lose any sleep over it, a game finished is a game past. But I want to win the Division. Last year, we won the division, then lost the division series. I would much rather have had that scenario than to have made the playoffs as a wildcard team, won a wildcard series and then lost in the division series. No, I’m not kicking the cat about it, and I’m not Firestoning about it either, but I’m not being unreasonable.
    • On one hand I want to say he just doesn’t have anywhere to play, on the other hand…he’s playing because of injuries/ineffectiveness of other players so while he seems buried in the depth chart and we’re barely in June and that depth is being utilized.    I’ve been writing him off as a sure thing to be traded and never putting on an Orioles uniform. I’m reassessing that a little considering he hits right handed and I’m happy that Holliday wasn’t called back up for reasons of positional need rather than he’s actually ready. 
    • If Burnes, GRod, and Bradish stay healthy, we are as set as we can be regardless of division winner or wild card. Will more than likely have to go through the Yankees either way. Just keep winning series and play best ball in October. That's what I wish for. Winning division then one and out means very little except a flag to fly. So to answer OP question - zippo.
    • Skubal has never pitched more than 150 innings and he'll be 28 next year. I dunno man. The results are legit for sure, but not sure he's worth Holliday. 
    • Also, I think for most of us traditional/longtime baseball fans, it is still in grained into our psychology (to some degree) that winning the division matters. Because for years (most of the history of the game) that is the only way that you could qualify for the postseason. However, when you look at teams who do well in the postseason (like last year's 2 WS teams), they weren't division winners. They just got hot at the right time. And truly that's all it takes in a short series format where things like depth are not nearly as important as it is most about top end talent and being able to perform against the other teams best (starters, relievers, batters). In other sports like hockey and basketball being a division winner is larger irrelevant because of the postseason format. Baseball with the additional Wild Cards has become the same way IMO.
    • IMO it really doesn't matter much. We are almost assuredly going to be in the playoffs. What matters most is how we are playing at the close of the season (going into the playoffs). We won the division and won 101 games last season as we outpaced TB. And in October (neither teams' great regular seasons matter). And teams like HOU and TEX were playing in the ALCS who weren't nearly as good all year.
  • Popular Contributors