Rebuild mode or Sell mode?

rudyrooster

Just asking.  How committed are the Angelos brothers to the city of Baltimore?  

Why have we not yet seen a new lease for Camden Yards?

Why are we projected (by Sportrac) to have the 29th lowest team payroll for 2021?

Why are we looking dead-eyed into yet another 100+ loss season?

Are we on the brink of losing another Major sports franchise?

Just asking.  

• Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Just asking.  How committed are the Angelos brothers to the city of Baltimore?  

Why have we not yet seen a new lease for Camden Yards?

Why are we projected (by Sportrac) to have the 29th lowest team payroll for 2021?

Why are we looking dead-eyed into yet another 100+ loss season?

Are we on the brink of losing another Major sports franchise?

Just asking.  

They may be putting the team in the best position to sell but that doesn't mean the Orioles will ever move.  Oakland and Tampa will move before Baltimore because of their lack of new stadiums.  The fact they haven't signed a lease may be in indicator they may sell the team.  You wouldn't want to sattle a new owner with a lease they weren't happy with.  

It's sorta "stadiums be damned".  MLB obviously gave us the "middle finger" a couple years ago when it was our time to host the All-Star game.  It seems to me as though MLB and the Orioles ownership don't have a very good relationship.  Just my opinion.

Edited by rudyrooster
Spelling

The O's are definitely in rebuild mode.  Keeping the payroll low is a function of that.   They don't have the talent accumulated to compete so there is no use to spend at this point.  That could change when Rutschman arrives and some of the starting pitchers show they are ready to win.   That is maybe a year away.  The Covid virus has also been a fact in not spending.   With less money coming in the O's are not spending.

Sell mode is a more uncertain question.  I would think the Orioles are in a trust which minimizes the taxes when  Peter  passes.  The Sons could keep the team or sell.  I don't think fans have much insight into that.   It would be really hard for them to move.   But nothing is impossible if a new owner really wants to do that.  Montreal, Nashville or other cities may be in a better position to offer a bigger fan base if the owner was motivates to relocate.

I think MLB would be neutral on moving.  The  MASN lawsuits have created bad blood between the Angelos family and the Commissioner's office.  I don't see the Angelos family moving the team.  But if a new owner has the desire,  the connection in the league office and the was respected by the majority of owners it could happen IMO.  

But we are not close to that.   The Angelos would have to want to sell, which we don't know yet whether that is the case.  If  Covid is controlled in the next year,  the team begins to win because the rebuild is working, and the fans begin to show up in big numbers at Camden Yards that means the O's could be in for a five or more year run of high income.  There may be no reason for the team to move no matter who owns it.

• Upvote 1

I would think that Tampa Bay would be a much better target for someone who wants to buy a team and move it.  You would think that MASN would be part of the O's when it is sold.  What is the value of MASN if the O's are in Nashville.  Will the Nats really pay fees to MASN if its not owned by the O's?  The Rays seems much better run and organized than the O's at least in the past.  They are set up to put a competitive team on the field at a bargain bin price. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would think that Tampa Bay would be a much better target for someone who wants to buy a team and move it.  You would think that MASN would be part of the O's when it is sold.  What is the value of MASN if the O's are in Nashville.  Will the Nats really pay fees to MASN if its not owned by the O's?  The Rays seems much better run and organized than the O's at least in the past.  They are set up to put a competitive team on the field at a bargain bin price. 

Rays are tied to the Tropicana Field lease until after the 2027 season.

10 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

The lease to Camden Yards is the important key to the sell, buy, move puzzle. No new lease and sell and move is on the table. New lease, move option is removed from the table. Sell still very much a possibility.

Would a new Camden Yards lease reduce the amount the Angelos could get in sale?   I would not think so.  

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm sure the buyout of the lease would be part of the purchase price.  A lease is not keeping a team in a city their owner doesn't want to stay in.

The Rays would have already moved if it was not for the lease.  Yes, the lease is keeping the Rays owner in Tampa.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Angelos family has made it very clear that they are committed to keeping the team in Baltimore and that a new lease will be signed soon.    I have zero reason to doubt that.   The lease does not expire until the end of next season and it’s not particularly surprising to me that it isn’t signed yet.    Negotiations like that are complicated and take time.   

I am not at all concerned about the other stuff either.   Mike Elias made it very clear what he was going to do when he became GM, and that’s what he’s doing.    It may work or it may not, but he’s following the course he laid out and it’s got nothing to do with moving from Baltimore.    

So do you think there is a zero chance the O's will be sold?

Just now, wildcard said:

The Rays would have already moved if it was not for the lease.  Yes, the lease is keeping the Rays owner in Tampa.

You can't force someone to stay in a lease where the team isn't making money.  The Rays are a charity case that only survives because of MLB revenue sharing.  You think that MLB will block the Rays from moving.  I don't care what the lease says, if the Rays can prove they are being forced to stay in an unprofitable situation, the lease will be easy to get out of (with a few million penalty).

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

You can't force someone to stay in a lease where the team isn't making money.  The Rays are a charity case that only survives because of MLB revenue sharing.  You think that MLB will block the Rays from moving.  I don't care what the lease says, if the Rays can prove they are being forced to stay in an unprofitable situation, the lease will be easy to get out of (with a few million penalty).

There have been negotiations between Tampa/St Pete and the Rays  for years that have went no where.   The team can not win in court if they case is that they could make more money elsewhere.  The terms of the lease are legal and they are holding the team in Tampa.

• Upvote 1