A look at 35 international amateurs who debuted from 2013-19

Frobby

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder how many players signed for 7 figures over this time frame?

Lots.   To be clear, the players who debuted in 2013-19 mostly were signed in 2008-14, with a couple of outliers.    The 2014 class in particular had a lot of high priced players who did not pan out.   Here’s a good article about that class.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/prospects365.com/2020/03/30/the-cautionary-tale-of-the-2014-international-signing-class/amp/

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lots.   To be clear, the players who debuted in 2013-19 mostly were signed in 2008-14, with a couple of outliers.    The 2014 class in particular had a lot of high priced players who did not pan out.   Here’s a good article about that class.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/prospects365.com/2020/03/30/the-cautionary-tale-of-the-2014-international-signing-class/amp/

Good reasons not to get wrapped up in the 7 figure signing bonuses. 

• Like 1

Great work as always!

I am curious to see what impact the new technology (track man, etc...) deployed down there and the increased tournament/showcase events will have on the accuracy of evaluations and success rates of teams signings. Things have changed tremendously in the past 5-6 years in how players are measured and evaluated. 

Also, teams have put much more into infrastructure and player development internationally. They have revamped the nutritional intake of players and the strength and conditioning programs. They have made a much greater effort to educate the players in many facets of life in the US, including teaching them English. All of these initiatives may help the success rate of international signings and help the teams spend money more wisely. It’s one theory anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Great work as always!

I am curious to see what impact the new technology (track man, etc...) deployed down there and the increased tournament/showcase events will have on the accuracy of evaluations and success rates of teams signings. Things have changed tremendously in the past 5-6 years in how players are measured and evaluated. 

Also, teams have put much more into infrastructure and player development internationally. They have revamped the nutritional intake of players and the strength and conditioning programs. They have made a much greater effort to educate the players in many facets of life in the US, including teaching them English. All of these initiatives may help the success rate of international signings and help the teams spend money more wisely. It’s one theory anyway.

Agree this will be interesting.   As I said, the players I examined were mostly signed between 2008-14.    The system changed during that time, and since.    The soft cap was enacted in 2012 and the current hard cap became effective in 2017.    

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder how many players signed for 7 figures over this time frame?

Definitely need the denominator for context.  For example, the 2013 draft's first round has seen about 2/3rds of players generate less than two wins in the majors.  And nearly half below replacement level or never made the majors.  The 2012 3rd round has seen one player get to five wins for his career.  2011 2nd round has four players get to five wins.

How do amateur free agents at different price points compare?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agree this will be interesting.   As I said, the players I examined were mostly signed between 2008-14.    The system changed during that time, and since.    The soft cap was enacted in 2012 and the current hard cap became effective in 2017.    

Does anyone know of the caps' impact on overall spending?  Was there more spent overall (after inflation) in 2011 than in 2015?  Or 2019?  Eventually a decrease in compensation should lead to a decrease in talent.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice information Frobby.....Thanks 

Im sure it is impossible to track but it would be interesting to see the success percentages of each category.

Im sure they throw money at any DR kid that shows any kind of tools. So they are low dollar figures but essentially money flushed down the toilet. 

Im disappointed that the Orioles never made a run at the pedigree type guys like Tatis or Guerrero.

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Does anyone know of the caps' impact on overall spending?  Was there more spent overall (after inflation) in 2011 than in 2015?  Or 2019?  Eventually a decrease in compensation should lead to a decrease in talent.

I think the huge signing bonuses handed out to Cuban players might skew the results.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the huge signing bonuses handed out to Cuban players might skew the results.

I think they're more regular free agents than amateurs so you could reasonably exclude them from the study.

Also, it's a wrong decision to treat someone who's played at a high(ish) level in Cuba or especially Japan and is 24, 25, 26 years old, and treat them like MLB rookies.  Clearly just for cost-control, not for any logical quality of play or experience reasons.  That and the typical "MLB is the only real baseball" attitude.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/we-analyzed-the-value-of-international-signing-bonus-money/

• Upvote 1