Santander drawing interest

Jammer7

13 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Does Santander get you Pablo Lopez (Miami)? Maybe add Zimmerman for Mesa Jr? Is that even close to reality?

Reviewing the high school pitcher draft picks recently did give me an extra appreciation for the pitcher crop the Marlins have coming through.   I'm guessing if cans are being kicked that is where we are looking as Chisholm/Isan I think they hope take the IF jobs with Anderson.   Maybe those middle infielders too if Ng looking to maximize MLB wins with Santander/Rojas/Berti.

I guess we know for 2021 we have a fit in that way.

Dombrowski making it his four years with Bryce looks like a tough assignment.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

We’ll see what?  Do you think Elias “punted” on the pick?  Do you think he intentionally drafted someone who sucks? Do you think he’s going to fail?

I think he accepted less with the first pick in order to overslot later. Didn’t like the pick when it was made and still think we passed on the BPA. I don’t have anything against Kjerstad and as an Oriole fan want him to be a good major league player. I thought it was pretty obvious the approach that the organization took....guess I’m mistaken ?

BTW, I never buy anything that these guys tell reporters, media etc to justify a move.

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Happy Birthday! Welcome to the club.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ah yes, I remember when I thought that was old!    Congratulations on completing the first third of your life!   (At least, that’s what I told myself when I hit that milestone.)

Thanks Gents! Had a Beery fun day at the American Legion

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think he accepted less with the first pick in order to overslot later. Didn’t like the pick when it was made and still think we passed on the BPA. I don’t have anything against Kjerstad and as an Oriole fan want him to be a good major league player. I thought it was pretty obvious the approach that the organization took....guess I’m mistaken ?

BTW, I never buy anything that these guys tell reporters, media etc to justify a move.

Well, are you and SG really disagreeing, and what did Elias or the media say that you disagree with?   I don’t think anyone really doubts that, bonus demands aside, the O’s thought Martin was a better prospect than Kjerstad.    But they decided that Kjerstad and a couple of overslots had a better risk/reward ratio than putting all their chips on Martin.   We’ll see if that’s correct or not, years from now.  

One suggestion I don’t buy is that the O’s did this because they thought Bitsko would be there at the 30th pick.    They might have hoped he would be, but there’s no way it makes sense to formulate a strategy centered around whether 27 other teams are going to pass on one specific guy you’re hoping to get with the 30th pick.    The O’s clearly thought there would be multiple good options for spending the cash they faced on Kjerstad, not just one.    

We’ll see how it works out, but in general it seems to me that the pundits were impressed with the O’s overall draft haul.    I’m happy enough with their strategy.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, are you and SG really disagreeing, and what did Elias or the media say that you disagree with?   I don’t think anyone really doubts that, bonus demands aside, the O’s thought Martin was a better prospect than Kjerstad.    But they decided that Kjerstad and a couple of overslots had a better risk/reward ratio than putting all their chips on Martin.   We’ll see if that’s correct or not, years from now.  

One suggestion I don’t buy is that the O’s did this because they thought Bitsko would be there at the 30th pick.    They might have hoped he would be, but there’s no way it makes sense to formulate a strategy centered around whether 27 other teams are going to pass on one specific guy you’re hoping to get with the 30th pick.    The O’s clearly thought there would be multiple good options for spending the cash they faced on Kjerstad, not just one.    

We’ll see how it works out, but in general it seems to me that the pundits were impressed with the O’s overall draft haul.    I’m happy enough with their strategy. 

I think they tend to exaggerate to the media. I realize it wasn’t under Elias but, I remember when the Orioles wasted a top pick on Hobgood to save money on the pick. Plus, I really liked Martin and was disappointed we passed and more so when he fell to the Blue Jays. I don’t recall hearing that they thought Martin was a better prospect! And I don’t really believe that selections 2-10 were really closely rated. That doesn’t mean I will be right in this conversation, I just can be convinced by the all knowing one that I’m wrong at this point. And honestly it pisses me off that he exercises his ability to tell people how he thinks they are wrong, stupid, and/or have a lower intelligence or baseball/ football knowledge them him.

But, will 13 years of experience dealing with him I’ve mostly learned to ignore it.

Also, their strategy is fine unless Martin ends up being the Superstar that they passed on. Especially if Kjerstad turns out to be an average MLB player or worse.

11 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Does Santander get you Pablo Lopez (Miami)? Maybe add Zimmerman for Mesa Jr? Is that even close to reality?

So I don’t think the Orioles would target Pablo Lopez who can be a free agent in 2025. He already has two and a half seasons of service time. They probably won’t trade Mesa because of the hype around his signing.

I mentioned LHSP Braxton Garrett #7 or LHSP Trever Rogers #9,  OF Monte Harrison #10, LHSP Jake Eder #23 or RHSP Paul Campbell #25, and perhaps a DSL 18 year old. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think they tend to exaggerate to the media. I realize it wasn’t under Elias but, I remember when the Orioles wasted a top pick on Hobgood to save money on the pick. Plus, I really liked Martin and was disappointed we passed and more so when he fell to the Blue Jays. I don’t recall hearing that they thought Martin was a better prospect! And I don’t really believe that selections 2-10 were really closely rated.

There is no way any team is ever going to say publicly that they didn’t think the player they chose was as good as the guy they passed on due to money.    It’s just disrespectful to the player they chose to say that in public.   

As to how close Martin and Kjerstad are, I think Martin has a higher floor and probably a higher ceiling too.   I think the scrum really starts after Martin.    I wanted Martin on draft day, but I’m willing to let it play out.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There is no way any team is ever going to say publicly that they didn’t think the player they chose was as good as the guy they passed on due to money.    It’s just disrespectful to the player they chose to say that in public.   

As to how close Martin and Kjerstad are, I think Martin has a higher floor and probably a higher ceiling too.   I think the scrum really starts after Martin.    I wanted Martin on draft day, but I’m willing to let it play out.    

Well at this point we don’t have a choice! But, I don’t expect Kjerstad to be in the Majors that fast. But, If SG is right and he’s here a d producing that’s another story. They obviously could rush him and he could struggle so there are multiple scenarios.