Thorne, Bordick, Dempsey and Tom Davis amongst those let go

Sports Guy

24 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

This is terrible news if you are a long-time fan. Further adds to the theory that a for-sale sign may be going up in the near future. I'll miss Tom, Dave, Mike, and Rick. 

I see the opposite.  To me it looks more like someone trying to squeeze every penny out of their asset.  I can't see a potential buyer caring about an expense at this level.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with the personnel changes but I'm a bit at a loss when it comes to cutting the pre and post game shows. 

Edit- I get it now.   The O's are being petty toward the Nats.  Killing their own product to force the Nats to do their own on relatively short notice.

How I see it: MASN lost the rights fees case and has to pay higher fees to the teams for the game rights, so they’re trying to force the teams to pay more of the costs relating to game-day coverage.    I see the logic of it but this could really blow up in their face.    Fans certainly want a quality pre- and post-game show, and if they don’t get it this will certainly hurt MASN’s ratings and drive fans away.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How I see it: MASN lost the rights fees case and has to pay higher fees to the teams for the game rights, so they’re trying to force the teams to pay more of the costs relating to game-day coverage.    I see the logic of it but this could really blow up in their face.    Fans certainly want a quality pre- and post-game show, and if they don’t get it this will certainly hurt MASN’s ratings and drive fans away.   

Do you think the O's will pay to have them?

?

honestly if this is cost cutting it’s pretty sad.

With that said, I thought the TV broadcast including the pre and post game needed a face lift. Davis, Dempsey etc have really been around too long IMO

I know Scott likes Thorne but I grew tired of him calling players by the wrong name and other silly things that I noticed.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am guessing that there will be pre and post games shows on the radio.   There was nothing special about watching Davis and Dempsey anyway except for some replays which we can get from Orioles.com

Sure but if you are paying for MASN don't you expect that coverage?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think the O's will pay to have them?

?

Don’t know.   Look at it this way: assume that it costs $5 mm/yr per team to produce a good pre-and post-game show, so a total of $10 mm.    If MASN doesn’t pay the $10 mm, that’s roughly $7.5 mm more profit the O’s get from MASN.   They can pay $5 mm for their own show and still have $2.5 mm in extra profit left over.    Or, they can skip the show and have the whole extra $7.5 mm, but maybe lessen fan interest in their team.  That’s pretty dangerous, especially when fans can’t go in person.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am guessing that there will be pre and post games shows on the radio.   There was nothing special about watching Davis and Dempsey anyway except for some replays which we can get from Orioles.com

It’s very enjoyable to watch the post-game highlights with commentary.   Especially after a win.    There were no shows like that when I was growing up, and now every team has them.   Why?  Because fans like them.  I do enjoy the radio post-game if I’m driving home from a game, but otherwise I wouldn’t dream of listening to that as opposed to watching the TV postgame.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t know.   Look at it this way: assume that it costs $5 mm/yr per team to produce a good pre-and post-game show, so a total of $10 mm.    If MASN doesn’t pay the $10 mm, that’s roughly $7.5 mm more profit the O’s get from MASN.   They can pay $5 mm for their own show and still have $2.5 mm in extra profit left over.    Or, they can skip the show and have the whole extra $7.5 mm, but maybe lessen fan interest in their team.  That’s pretty dangerous, especially when fans can’t go in person.

I would think that doing shows for two teams would not cost as much as the combined cost of two teams doing their own shows.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would think that doing shows for two teams would not cost as much as the combined cost of two teams doing their own shows.

Why?   What resources do they share?    Separate crews, separate on-air talent, separate studios.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It just occurred to me - I wonder if the Nats could sell the rights to their postgame show to ComcastSportsNet or some other local sports channel.   That would be hilarious!

Unless they would be allowed to move the game viewing I don’t think so.that would decrease the advantage that the Orioles are supposed to have in market.