Cobb to Angels

Yardball85

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Jones minor league stats don't look too good but I just read a pretty encouraging BA article that said he hit very well in 2019 in AA after he ditched suggested swing changes and went back to his original swing.  Over .300 in the 2nd half and a .885 OPS in the AFL.  Described as athletic and a good kid.

I've heard this is sometimes a problem in the low / mid minors in various organizations.  5 different coaches tell you to try 5 different changes to what you're doing and you get knocked off your game trying to implement it all.  If he's found what works for him and it looks like it'll play in the MLB...  that's good stuff.

I really like this trade.

If we save just $6 million that would be great then go sign Franco 1/3 million and a veteran starter or two in the $1-2 million range and start the season.   

c Severino

1B Mancini

2B Sanchez

Ss Galvis

3B Franco

LF Mountcastle

CF Hayes

RF Santander

Dh Stewart

Bench 

Sisco

Valika 
Mullins 

Davis until we officially cut him

Urias

• Upvote 1

Baseball-Reference.com projections, they obviously think he'll start the season in the minors since they're only projecting 186 AB.  But, I'd take that line for a rookie second baseman.

Year Tm Age PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Rel
2021 Proj. 23 209 186 28 47 9 1 7 26 3 1 20 49 .253 .333 .425 .758 79 4 3 0 1 1 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, remember the Angels system stinks, so being a top 10 guy in that system means nothing.  As was said, maybe he’s top 15, at best, in our system..probably a little lower but perhaps with more upside than others ahead of him.

As I said, last June Fangraphs rated him a 40+.   For them, that put him on the same tier as Kremer, Akin, Lowther and Adam Hall, somewhere between 11th-15 in our system.   Of course, that was before last year’s draft or Hays graduating off the list, or the nice performances of Akin and Kremer in September.    So, I’d guess they would place him between 14-17 in our system now. My guess is Tony would put him slightly lower.   But in any event, it seems he has some upside, so we’ll see.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

If we save just $6 million that would be great then go sign Franco 1/3 million and a veteran starter or two in the $1-2 million range and start the season.   

c Severino

1B Mancini

2B Sanchez

Ss Galvis

3B Franco

LF Mountcastle

CF Hayes

RF Santander

Dh Stewart

Bench 

Sisco

Valika 
Mullins 

Davis until we officially cut him

Urias

I feel like as was the case last year, third base is Ruiz's job to lose.  I expect a Millone/LeBlanc signing or two and they'll go to ST with that.  I'd be pleasantly surprised if they sign Franco and take a flyer on an Archer-type.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I said, last June Fangraphs rated him a 40+.   For them, that put him on the same tier as Kremer, Akin, Lowther and Adam Hall, somewhere between 11th-15 in our system.   Of course, that was before last year’s draft or Hays graduating off the list, or the nice performances of Akin and Kremer in September.    So, I’d guess they would place him between 14-17 in our system now. My guess is Tony would put him slightly lower.   But in any event, it seems he has some upside, so we’ll see.

Preliminarily I'd put him at 19 ahead of Alex Wells and behind the two high ceiling high school draft picks and two international league guys. I like hearing about the good statcast info even during his "down year" in AA in 2019. I have a bigger issue with him getting moved a round a bit defensively with a pretty high error % at 2B. 

If he were a shortstop of could play there it would give him more value of course.