Cobb to Angels

Yardball85

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I won't even be disappointed if it's a dump.  I can't imagine anyone giving up quality for Cobb and he makes no sense on the 2021 team.  Hopefully whatever money is saved on his salary will go to some other aspect of the team.

That's an undestandable opinion, but Cobb did have the potential to be good next year and could have possibly gotten a better return at the All-star break or even before. But, it would be a significant risk considering his injury history.

28 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Here's hoping Sandy Alderson tampering bears out.   We should have a few more pennies to help with Betances/Familia if needed after this.

Unless we're sending a bigger chunk of $$$, I don't expect even the Garrett Stallings type guy here - this could easily be PTBNL unless we're buying a prospect.

This deal makes me nervous in the context of this offseason.

I hope we're not throwing in any prospects just to make it happen. That's the worst case scenario, but one I fear.

As far as return? I'm hoping for a nice shiny bucket of balls. It would floor me if we ate a significant portion of his contract and get actual decent prospects back. In fact, I'll almost certainly gauge the return on the $ we had to throw in to make the deal happen.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m sorry..I thought you meant we may be giving up a prospect with Cobb to allow the Os to save as much as possible.

Yeah, I could have worded better. Just saying instead of taking on a contract we could be eating money  on an existing one to get better players back.  

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wow..this is pretty shocking to me.

Haven’t heard all the news yet, but why? Trading Cobb was definitely on the list of “ things to do” 

edit: ok I’ve read the rest of the comments, still think it’s fine.

Elias is anticipating a work stoppage next season, so is wanting far-off guys who won’t be as affected by a strike. This way they get rid of current obligations and set themselves up for a clean beginning after the strike ends. If it doesn’t happen, then we still have clean books and chips for future transactions, as well as innings for our own guys.

Edited by Philip

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's an undestandable opinion, but Cobb did have the potential to be good next year and could have possibly gotten a better return at the All-star break or even before. But, it would be a significant risk considering his injury history.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

7 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Even if its just a salary dump, this seems like good news. Wonder how much the Angels will be paying?

Cobb finishes his dissapointing Oriole tenure with the following stats:

3 Seasons, 41 GS, 5.10 ERA, 1 CG, 217.0 IP, 86 ERA+, 1.419 WHIP, 1.8 bWAR

People can complain all they want about teams being stingy/cheap but the Orioles are fantastic example of "going for it" backfiring tremendously. Cobb, Trumbo, Davis etc. were all terrible contracts. They are far from alone in giving bad FA contracts while not having the farm system in place to augment. 

• Upvote 2

Cobb at ~1/15 will earn about triple Jon Lester/Kirby Yates, and double JA Happ/Jose Quintana among recent signees.

If you peg him at about the Happ/Quintana level for 2021, we pay half in a PTBNL setup, before buying/selling a prospect enters into equation.

Maybe Maddon/Cobb relationship help us a little here, if Joe has the GM's ear ala Buck.

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

People can complain all they want about teams being stingy/cheap but the Orioles are fantastic example of "going for it" backfiring tremendously. Cobb, Trumbo, Davis etc. were all terrible contracts. They are far from alone in giving bad FA contracts while not having the farm system in place to augment. 

That is called context which is no longer allowed.  

• Upvote 1