Felix Hernandez signs with O’s

weams

He's only 35 years old?  Man, it seems he's been around forever!  I don't see any down side to this deal.

Someone mentioned earlier that maybe he just likes to play baseball.  Remember when Oil Can Boyd was pitching in the Northern League at age 45?  If not for COVID and scheduling nightmares, Manny Ramirez had been signed to play for the Sydney Blue Sox in the ABL, and I think he's 48?  

Give him an opportunity.  We "old" guys have to stick together!

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You'd have to think that if his arm was truly alive again, he'd have showcased that and would have more suitors than the O's. I feel like this is truly a signing based on intangibles and the long odds that 3 good months nets us a prospect in July.

If you squint your eyes, you can see a few positives.  He is a GB pitcher still, which helps.  He is throwing strikes at about a ML average rate.  He misses bats at about a ML average rate for a starter. His K/BB ratio is still over 2:1.  His xFIP the last 2 years was significantly lower than his actual ERA.  He didn’t pitch last year, so maybe he is more refreshed.

Now, for every one of those “positives”, it’s pretty easy to spin a negative from it.  He isn’t a guy likely to give you anything but again, maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle and get lucky for 10ish starts.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I'm late to the party here, but I'm happy about this signing.

It will be a fun storyline in a rebuilding year and, more importantly, the mentorship from a Cy Young pitcher could be invaluable for our young and promising rotation.

People keep saying this.

Does he have a reputation as a clubhouse leader/mentor type?

I'm not saying he's not but just because someone is experienced doesn't mean they are willing to assume that type of role or are suited for it.

25 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I'm late to the party here, but I'm happy about this signing.

It will be a fun storyline in a rebuilding year and, more importantly, the mentorship from a Cy Young pitcher could be invaluable for our young and promising rotation.

This assumes he makes the team.

11 hours ago, Hallas said:

I personally think that their line of thinking is "he has a pulse" and "he might be able to eat innings while we tank."  The fact that he was a former all-star/Cy Young winner just means that his upside is such that he's decent trade bait if he actually turns out to be good.

You still need someone that can get you 27 outs without getting hurt even when you're trying to tank.

I'll gladly take 18 outs, even not quality outs. You need to fill out a rotation and fill 1000+ innings from your starters. Some of the youngest "young guys" might not be up to that yet.

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hernandez turned into a slightly above average pitcher after the 2014 season and morphed into a terrible pitcher by the end of his time with the Mariners. At the top of his game he was as dominant as any starting pitcher in the last 15 years. 

Unless Hernandez has made some adjustments, I don't see him surviving long in the AL East. His ERA away from the ballpark formerly known as Safeco Field was 6.97 in 2018 and 9.17 in 2019. 

In a division KNOWN for BIG parks... Not like the AL East.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

I havent read all the comments, but I love king Felix. Him and Adrian Beltre  are treasures. I watched him suffer in consistent brilliance with the Ms for years. And now he’ s waiting for that last sunset and never even made the postseason. Poor guy. First ballot, I’m thinking’ and damn the W-L record.

Forget the W-L record.   117 ERA+ does not scream Hall of Fame.