Felix Hernandez signs with O’s

weams

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dwight Evans.  I was 9 when they got him but I was very excited.  I realized he was old, but not THAT old and at the end of his line.  That became glaringly apparent in the summer of '91.

I had forgotten about Dewey. I just had to re-check his numbers... his power was mostly gone, but he was still a decent player with a good eye. Even at age 39, he had a .393 OBP. Which was basically Randy Milligan’s OBP in his prime years. ;) 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I had forgotten about Dewey. I just had to re-check his numbers... his power was mostly gone, but he was still a decent player with a good eye. Even at age 39, he had a .393 OBP. Which was basically Randy Milligan’s OBP in his prime years. ;) 

Highest OBP player on the 1991 Orioles and it was a bad Orioles team, but Cal did win the MVP while hitting .323 that year. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We know who the Onion wasn't talking about.  ?

Chris Holt begs to differ:

Said Holt on Hernández: “Number one, he knows who he is and he knows what he has to do to get ready. Physically, he looks like he’s in tremendous shape. His first bullpen was yesterday. Delivery looks like he’s on time and pitches coming out of hand looked very true. And he’s been doing work at home. Encouraging to see him come in and be ready to roll right from the outset.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/02/chris-holt-on-six-man-rotation-possibility-plus-minors-schedules-are-out.html

Gotta love the “pitches coming out of his hand looked very true” comment, too.   Holt’s quickly getting the hang of the major league pitching coach cliches.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Chris Holt begs to differ:

Said Holt on Hernández: “Number one, he knows who he is and he knows what he has to do to get ready. Physically, he looks like he’s in tremendous shape. His first bullpen was yesterday. Delivery looks like he’s on time and pitches coming out of hand looked very true. And he’s been doing work at home. Encouraging to see him come in and be ready to roll right from the outset.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/02/chris-holt-on-six-man-rotation-possibility-plus-minors-schedules-are-out.html

Gotta love the “pitches coming out of his hand looked very true” comment, too.   Holt’s quickly getting the hang of the major league pitching coach cliches.

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I heard him talking about how he was hurt the last 2 years in Seattle and just felt it was best to take off last year with everything that was going on.

Said his arm feels good.  Talked about how he doesn’t have the great velocity anymore and needs to use more off speed stuff and work the corners more.  So, he knows where he stands right now.

Said his goal for this year is to be healthy. My guess is that he feels if he stays healthy that he will be able to make the rotation and contribute.

• Upvote 1

Felix needs to make some adjustments since he lose his fastball.  His FB in 2019 was a 90.   His change was 85.  That is not enough separation.  He needs to slow his   change by 5 mph.    Holt may be able to help him with that.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=433587&time=month&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=02/19/2021&s_type=2

11 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

You forgot the "Delivery looks like he’s on time", that's a new one.

This is a pretty widely used phrase.  Where you are in your delivery when separating from the glove.  Sitting back and driving. Where you are when the plan foot lands.  Where your upper half and arm are, at release point.  Many things go into being "on time".