Improving the game suggestions

HowAboutThat

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I would do none of these things. Sorry.

No worries. All of these suggestions wouldn’t change the fundamental character of the game, and would improve the game. Pitch clocks, 7-inning doubleheader’s, and other destructive malarkey certainly do. But if you disagree that’s quite all right.

Do you have any suggestion?

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

No worries. All of these suggestions wouldn’t change the fundamental character of the game, and would improve the game. Pitch clocks, 7-inning doubleheader’s, and other destructive malarkey certainly do. But if you disagree that’s quite all right.

Do you have any suggestion?

I don't really want to change anything in the game.  Call me a traditionalist.  The game is great as it is.

A salary cap wouldn't hurt though.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

One pitch at-bats.  You either walk (or get HBP/catcher's interference, etc.), strike out, or put the ball in play.  A foul ball is a strikeout.  You get the pitcher's best pitch with every batter.  Games would last under an hour.

I played "one pitch" softball during the winter for years.  We regularly played seven innings in under 45 minutes.  Switching sides took about the same amount of time as playing half an inning!

50 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I don't really want to change anything in the game.  Call me a traditionalist.  The game is great as it is.

I actually agree with you, I don’t have a problem with a long game, I think the people who do, don’t really understand what baseball is about in the first place. All the silly little changes they are making in a useless effort to speed the game up are actually making things worse, so if you have to streamline the game, the suggestions I made would help. However, I am quite content leaving the game as it is, although I do not want the National League to have the DH. I like the different character of the two leagues.

52 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

I played "one pitch" softball during the winter for years.  We regularly played seven innings in under 45 minutes.  Switching sides took about the same amount of time as playing half an inning!

I played a one-pitch tournament one time.  Yes - games go by quickly.  The field shrinks, too.  Nobody wants to risk hitting down the lines and hitting a ball foul and striking out.  When you have restricted home run rules (one designated home run hitter per team, only being able to go "one-up" on homeruns over the opponent, homeruns are outs, etc.), that really changes hitting strategy and defensive positioning strategy.  I liked playing that tournament.  It obviously makes more sense for a slow-pitch softball game than for a MLB game, of course.

Match Play.  Whoever scores the most each inning wins the inning.  So if the visitor doesn't score in the top of the inning, and the home team scores any run in the bottom, they win the skin and move on to the next inning.  Winner of the most skins after 9 wins the game.

Beer Rules:  Each player must hold a red solo cup of Natty Boh at all times during the game, both in the field and at the plate.

Um...No.  Don't change anything.  Baseball is a great game.  Play the traditional rules and let us fans of the game enjoy the game.  People who think its slow or boring will always think that, no matter how many ghost runners are put on base to start an inning.  

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

We've pretty much got one.

I mean yea, the Dodgers are going to be over this year and the Sox and Yanks go over every now and again but it's pretty much a cap.

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I think pitch clock and less commercials between innings are the easiest ways to speed up a game. But they also seem to be the hardest to implement. Im in favor of banning shifts that place a 4th OF in RF or SS beyond 2B and vice versa. I think shifting to the edge of 2B should be good enough. Also no more juiced balls. All those things added together I think would improve the game. 

If they banned shifts in 1880 the 1B/2B/3B would all be required to stand within a few feet of their base.  Maybe we should try that.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I actually agree with you, I don’t have a problem with a long game, I think the people who do, don’t really understand what baseball is about in the first place. 

I strongly disagree.   For one thing, I have to get up early in the morning, and the difference between a game that ends at 10 pm and one that ends at 10:45 is very material to me.    For another, I’ve been watching baseball for 55+ years and the game was better when they played the game more quickly.    I’m not the kind of guy who believes everything was better in the old days, but the quicker pace of play in the past was one element that was much better.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I strongly disagree.   For one thing, I have to get up early in the morning, and the difference between a game that ends at 10 pm and one that ends at 10:45 is very material to me.    For another, I’ve been watching baseball for 55+ years and the game was better when they played the game more quickly.    I’m not the kind of guy who believes everything was better in the old days, but the quicker pace of play in the past was one element that was much better.    

I still think the biggest difference would be forcing pitchers to pitch and not letting hitters step out after every pitch.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I still think the biggest difference would be forcing pitchers to pitch and not letting hitters step out after every pitch.

Honestly, I think it’s mostly the hitters.    I’d put shock collars on them that activate if they step out between pitches.    

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I actually agree with you, I don’t have a problem with a long game, I think the people who do, don’t really understand what baseball is about in the first place. All the silly little changes they are making in a useless effort to speed the game up are actually making things worse, so if you have to streamline the game, the suggestions I made would help. However, I am quite content leaving the game as it is, although I do not want the National League to have the DH. I like the different character of the two leagues.

I agree with everything in your post.