Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

Frobby

Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Adley Rutschman play in the majors in 2021?

• Yes, he should be on the Opening Day Roster if he has a good spring
    • Yes, no matter what, but only after he passes the date for a 7th year of control
    • Only if we are contending and he’s needed to boost the team
    • Only if he looks ready to be an above average major leaguer immediately
    • Only if he looks ready to be a competent major leaguer
    • Only for a September call-up at most
    • No, save his service time and bring him up in 2022

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ve had a ton of discussion of this topic, but I thought it would make a good poll with a few choices about when and under what conditions he should be called up.    Take your pick and defend it here!

You left off- Time his promotion so that he falls a handful of at bats short of losing his rookie eligibility.  ?

• Haha 1

• Only if he looks ready to be an above average major leaguer immediately
  • Only if he looks ready to be a competent major leaguer
For these 2 options, should "if" be when or are we making that call after ST only? If we give him some minors time and he goes off like Matt W I think that might be a more realistic option.

AR has barely 150 professional PAs under his belt to the tune of a .254/.351/.423 line, and none higher than A ball, so I'd like him to get most of a MiLB season in 2021, plus I would rather not burn too much of his service clock in a blatant tanking year, so put me down for a September call up if he looks to be MLB ready or close to it by then.

As has been said in the other thread, catchers tend to drop off after 30, and if we bring him up this year we control him through his age 30 season. So if he's tearing up AA and looks like he's ready to be an above average major leaguer, I have no problem with promoting him this season. But definitely after the cutoff point for an extra year of control

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course he should.  

I can’t believe anyone would vote for anything but him being in the majors this year.

People get caught up in the whole has to prove himself in the minors stuff the GM spouts.

Adley is 23

He was the 1-1 pick out of college.

Now maybe he busts, maybe he's Wieters but wasting a season in the minors isn't going to "develop" him.

Sisco was in the majors, as a catcher, at 22.

By all accounts this kid's makeup is off the charts.  Nothing he can learn in the minors he can't learn in the majors.

Keeping him down is all about gaming his service time.

• Upvote 3

I voted September callup at most. I'm kinda torn. Of course I want to see him like everyone else. But the service time issue is a concrete concern. A valuable concern. Also I tend to defer to Elias (and agree) that a player should "go thru the levels" of the minors. Sure there is is ton to learn at the ML level, but there are valuable (and I think necessary) things to learn in the minors as well.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I voted September callup at most. I'm kinda torn. Of course I want to see him like everyone else. But the service time issue is a concrete concern. A valuable concern. Also I tend to defer to Elias (and agree) that a player should "go thru the levels" of the minors. Sure there is is ton to learn at the ML level, but there are valuable (and I think necessary) things to learn in the minors as well.

But the question was "should".  Should he?  I think that question is an easy yes.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But the question was "should".  Should he?  I think that question is an easy yes.

I don't think so. As advanced as he might be, I think there's valuable learning to be had in the minors. Not least of which is catching (and getting to know) our young pitchers. Spending time in the trenches together.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I don't think so. As advanced as he might be, I think there's valuable learning to be had in the minors. Not least of which is catching (and getting to know) our young pitchers. Spending time in the trenches together.

You don't think he did that last year?

Like, a lot?

I think he should get to know Means a little better.

• Upvote 1

I picked: Yes, no matter what, but only after he passes the date for a 7th year of control.

If we're still trying to lose and obtain a top 3 draft pick, then it doesn't make sense to bring him up too soon. Let him gain experience in the minors until he's ready, and hopefully that will coincide with a 7th year of control. When he finally makes it to the Majors, it would be nice to see him make a statement, kind of like Machado did.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think he did that last year?

Like, a lot?

I think he should get to know Means a little better.

Catching pitchers in a competitive game is different from catching them in the alternate site.   That said, I’m not particularly worried about him learning our pitchers.