Orioles considering Franco?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Is it fair to call Franco basically the 3rd baseman version of Jonathan Schoop?  

I’d consider that a pretty big insult to Schoop.   It’s true they are very similar offensive players (.252/.304/.433 for Frankel, .259/.297/.450 for Schoop), but Schoop is a bit better offensively and that offense plays much better at 2B than 3B, plus Schoop is much better defensively at his position than Franco.    Hence, 17.3 rWAR for Schoop, 2.5 for Franco (who’s one year younger).   

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think you can look at this roster and say the GM is put it together with defense in mind.

Well you can say it, but I don't think anyone will believe you.

Its a team in transition.   Outfield and pitching is making progress.  Infield and catching is a bunch of stopgap players waiting for minor leaguers to be ready.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have a solid source that told me the O's could have had this guy playing for them.

https://streamable.com/0of6p7

The stats don't show that Iglesias is a significantly better defender than Galvis, if at all, so I wouldn't start there. I find it strange that people are freaking out about defense when they haven't even played 10 ST games. Pretty much every infielder involved in that debacle yesterday will not be starting for the Orioles.

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The stats don't show that Iglesias is a significantly better defender than Galvis, if at all, so I wouldn't start there. I find it strange that people are freaking out about defense when they haven't even played 10 ST games. Pretty much every infielder involved in that debacle yesterday will not be starting for the Orioles.

I'm not freaking out.

I'm expecting a pretty bad team again this year and bad defense is part of that.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not freaking out.

I'm expecting a pretty bad team again this year and bad defense is part of that.

I'm expecting a bottom 3 team with sloppy defense. I just don't think Elias is ignoring defense when putting together this roster. I think defensively, Iglesias to Galvis is a somewhat lateral move and Sanchez over Alberto is an upgrade. I wouldn't be shocked if he plucks someone off the waiver wire towards the end of ST to replace Ruiz at third. Ruiz and Severino were seen as solid defensively unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way exactly.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d consider that a pretty big insult to Schoop.   It’s true they are very similar offensive players (.252/.304/.433 for Frankel, .259/.297/.450 for Schoop), but Schoop is a bit better offensively and that offense plays much better at 2B than 3B, plus Schoop is much better defensively at his position than Franco.    Hence, 17.3 rWAR for Schoop, 2.5 for Franco (who’s one year younger).   

Wow, Franco must be a terrible defensive player - since Schoop was very much lacking in range with the O's - though was great at hanging in on DP's and strong-armed.  

The one thing to remember here, Elias only brings in Franco is he believes he can move him at some point for a potential piece in the future and the price is very cheap. If not, he'll roll with Ruiz because, why not? 

I also think this is the one position where a "Severino-like" waiver claim could happen late in the spring.

Anyone know of any potential 3B that could be DFA'd?