Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The enticement of a ML promotion implies that he'll be kept down if he doesn't signed the team friendly deal.  Seems a bit on the shady side to me.  Like keeping a guy down to get more service time.  But you would never support something "immoral" like that, would you.  ?

Not at all.

It would be explained to him and his agent that he would be essentially learning at the ML instead of the majors since results at the ML level are  unimportant.  The uniqueness of the opportunity would be obvious.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not at all.

It would be explained to him and his agent that he would be essentially learning at the ML instead of the majors since results at the ML level are  unimportant.  The uniqueness of the opportunity would be obvious.  

That's what Seattle did with Kelenic and folks went bonkers.  Now, Kelenic was much further along than Henderson and may have deserved a promotion at that point anyway.  Even if he didn't immediately provde it when he finally made it to the bigs.  Henderson is significantly further from the majors and no where near ready for that challenge.  The challenge and opportunity he's been given in Aberdeen seems big enough for today.  I'm hoping he'll be in Bowie by the end of the season and I'll be satisfied with that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

That's what Seattle did with Kelenic and folks went bonkers.  Now, Kelenic was much further along than Henderson and may have deserved a promotion at that point anyway.  Even if he didn't immediately provde it when he finally made it to the bigs.  Henderson is significantly further from the majors and no where near ready for that challenge.  The challenge and opportunity he's been given in Aberdeen seems big enough for today.  I'm hoping he'll be in Bowie by the end of the season and I'll be satisfied with that.

Yes, he was much further along.

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Well it looks like the options bring it very close to $80M. In the future salaries are only going to increase. 

I am not sure that we can predict salary increases in future.  A new CBA needs to be worked out then we still have some uncertainty in the economy as a hole right now.  The NFL salary cap took a hit this season and few teams like Atlanta felt the crunch and had to deal Julio Jones.

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Well it looks like the options bring it very close to $80M. In the future salaries are only going to increase. 

Yeah, but they’re options.    They only get exercised if the team benefits from doing so.   The team isn’t on the hook for $80 mm.   In fact, I’d say the options are the main reason the teams do these deals.   

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s a 3-5, with a Homer, game away from having an .800+ OPS. Not worried about Gunnar. Especially with having the maturity to take 10 BB. His BB/K ratio is 10/10 in Aberdeen and was 10/46 in Delmarva. 

I’m not worried, but we’ll see how he hits hi A pitching over a larger sample.   It’s not necessarily going to be a walk in the park.   Westburg is doing fine now, but nowhere near what he was doing in low A and it took him a while to get acclimated.    Gunnar may have a similar experience.   

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Gunnar now 0-17 in Aberdeen with 11 Walks for a smooth 379 OBP and a .000 batting average. 

Translates to about a .272 wOBA, which is pretty bad but not completely disastrous.  As a point of comparison, Jonathan Schoop had a .265 wOBA his rookie year with the Orioles.  I expect Gunnar will eventually get his hits.  

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Translates to about a .272 wOBA, which is pretty bad but not completely disastrous.  As a point of comparison, Jonathan Schoop had a .265 wOBA his rookie year with the Orioles.  I expect Gunnar will eventually get his hits.  

Gunnar will be fine, but this is exactly why I chuckle when some people talk about bringing guys up to the majors out of Low-A ball. every level they need to make adjustments. Henderson will be just fine even if he's going through some growing pains right now.

• Thanks 1