Wells and Sceroler have made the Opening Day roster

MurphDogg

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I wouldn't get too worked up about which one of those three is on the Opening Day roster with the other two 25 miles away in Bowie. They can shuffle through all three and essentially have an 11-man pen if they want.

I agree that Tate has the best chance of the three (albeit still not a great chance) to be part of the next good Orioles team.

Yeah, way too much emphasis on the opening 26. Guarantee it'll be shuffled before the team is even back in Baltimore for opening day. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, way too much emphasis on the opening 26. Guarantee it'll be shuffled before the team is even back in Baltimore for opening day. 

The OD roster means very little..the problem is that this team is completely focused on the long term and doesn’t care about winning games right now.

Saying that, this roster should be filled with guys (guys who have shown success in the minors and/or majors) who could potentially be part of that long term puzzle and they should be filled with those guys from day 1.   

You don’t need to keep Sulser at all.  I think Mac S has close to zero chance of being a help over the long haul and I don’t think he should be on the roster but I’m easily keeping him over Sulser given the direction the team is headed and what they want out of this season.  

This team, unless they want to be lazy and cheap for longer, should be a borderline wild card contender in 2022.  They can’t do that without giving every opportunity to the existing talent they have because that is the only way this team contends.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I remember when I was 8 or 9 and the Opening Day rotation was announced a day or two before Opening Day and I wrote the starting pitchers names into my pocket schedule for the first month of the season. Messed up my pocket schedule for nothing!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

The way the rosters are managed now it really doesn't mean a whole lot if certain players don't open the season as one of the 26 MLB active players.

Back in the day it was different and it meant if you were a player that didn't make the club, then you would have to hope for a trade or player injury to get called up from AAA/AA. 

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Wow, Connally sure seems unenthusiastic about this news. “Maybe things could change” in the next three days? 
Maybe he’s still sore that Felix didn’t make it?

Im delighted. Now what to hope for? TJ Macfarland, who was steady but unspectacular for years, Ryan Flaherty who seemed to be everywhere and do everything( never forget 2014 ALDS) but only compiled a career .9 WAR, or our dear departed Joey Rickard, who was blazing for about three months, and gone a year later?

WE SHALL SEE!!!

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The way the rosters are managed now it really doesn't mean a whole lot if certain players don't open the season as one of the 26 MLB active players.

Back in the day it was different and it meant if you were a player that didn't make the club, then you would have to hope for a trade or player injury to get called up from AAA/AA. 

Hyde confirms as much.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

So we know the 5 starters.

If they go with a 9 man bullpen, we know (all these barring any new acquisition that bumps someone):

Sceroler is on the team
Wells is on the team
LeBlanc is on the team (signed to a major league contract when we brought him back)
Plutko is on the team (traded for knowing he was out of options)

I think it is very safe to say:

Scott is on the team
Armstrong is on the team

I think it is pretty safe to say:

Fry is on the team

That is 7 relievers.   Choose the final 2 (if we go with 14 pitchers) from:

Sulser
Lakins
Tate
Valdez

Valdez and Tate, of course. Exactly as expected.

the big question is who gets DFA-Ed when Hunter Harvey returns.

I liked what I saw from Wells in his debut.   Got behind 3-0 on the first batter he faced and threw him three quality pitches to get the out.   Threw a pretty easy 94 mph, good break on both the slider and the curve.  Breaking ball command could be a little better but overall he’s got a nice mix.   

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I liked what I saw from Wells in his debut.   Got behind 3-0 on the first batter he faced and threw him three quality pitches to get the out.   Threw a pretty easy 94 mph, good break on both the slider and the curve.  Breaking ball command could be a little better but overall he’s got a nice mix.   

MLB debut. I can excuse the command a bit, based on nerves. Let’s see how he progresses in terms of attacking hitters earlier and command.