2021 Ongoing Lineup Thread

interloper

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Mountcastle is a slow runner, runs poor routes(I don’t know how easily better routes to the ball can be taught, But there might be room for improvement there) And not only does he have a weak arm, everybody knows he has a weak arm and is quite comfortable running on him. I’ve said for years that they should have him at DH or at first base.

That is just not an accurate statement.  I can see how the rest could be your opinion but this is just not true.

27 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Weird realization......this is the 30th year for Camden Yards. The Orioles played in Memorial Stadium for 37 years. 

Yeah, for those of us a certain age it's one of those "make you feel real old" moments.

Like the moment about 4 years ago when the Berlin Wall had been down longer than it had been up.   Or a few years before that when the Colts had been in Indianapolis longer than they were in Baltimore.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Mountcastle is a slow runner, runs poor routes(I don’t know how easily better routes to the ball can be taught, But there might be room for improvement there) And not only does he have a weak arm, everybody knows he has a weak arm and is quite comfortable running on him. I’ve said for years that they should have him at DH or at first base.

Do you mean the Mountcastle that hustled an infield hit just before Ruiz's homerun in NY?  He may utlimately end up at 1B is Hays can ever stay health and Diaz or Kjerstad makes a permanent entry to the ML roster.  But for now, I have no problem having him play every inning possible in LF.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The rest could be considered opinion.  We can measure speed and Mountcastle is above average.

No doubt..I think it’s totally wrong that he has a weak arm too.  It’s not a great arm but it’s not Ellsbury or Damon either.

TBH, I have been surprised by him out there.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That doesn't mean his overall arm strength rates as poorly. 

It might not rate AS poorly but it's still poor. Go watch the Urshela double last night. He literally skipped in the relay throw to Galvis who was halfway in the outfield. This is at Yankees stadium btw. Mountcastle is fast and a good athlete. With time he can become a decent outfielder. His arm his still well below average.

29 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Do you mean the Mountcastle that hustled an infield hit just before Ruiz's homerun in NY?  He may utlimately end up at 1B is Hays can ever stay health and Diaz or Kjerstad makes a permanent entry to the ML roster.  But for now, I have no problem having him play every inning possible in LF.

His sprint speed is 63d percentile, but it doesn’t translate to his OF range. Maybe he gets late jumps or reads the ball wrong or takes lousy routes. Last night he was very slow getting to the ball on the throw in, and his weak throwing arm is well known. So even if he sprints well it doesn’t help him in the OF, so yeah that’s the guy I mean. Putting him in LF instead of DH is a weaker lineup.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No doubt..I think it’s totally wrong that he has a weak arm too.  It’s not a great arm but it’s not Ellsbury or Damon either.

TBH, I have been surprised by him out there.

OMG he definitely has a weak arm.  Did you see his relay throw to Galvis last night?   Maybe he’s not Ellsbury or Damon, but his arm is well below average.   

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

BTW I just admitted MC has good sprint speed but you can look at his play last night and judge for yourself.

Just because someone can run straightaway doesn’t mean they can use that speed effectively in a given position.

Well, they do have stats on that too, but I don’t think they publish them until a larger quantity of data is collected.   Let’s just stipulate that right now MC is a below average LF, and we can leave the exact breakdown of why that is (speed, reaction time, burst, etc. for later).    I think it’s crystal clear from what Hyde said last night that MC is going to continue to get opportunities to improve our there.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

OMG he definitely has a weak arm.  Did you see his relay throw to Galvis last night?   Maybe he’s not Ellsbury or Damon, but his arm is well below average.   

The throw from Galvis home was GREAT tho! Off balance twisting around rocket STRIKE.