The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can see the merit of exposing Bautista to that kind of pressure to foster his development.  It comes at the expense of maximizing the odds of winning this game though.   I would not have done it. 

Maybe Hyde wants to take the bunt away and hope for a strikeout?

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can see the merit of exposing Bautista to that kind of pressure to foster his development.  It comes at the expense of maximizing the odds of winning this game though.   I would not have done it. 

It’s not a “would I done it”.

Its just , it’s not worth second guessing because it didn’t work.

You just move on because, tomorrow is another day. It’s just baseball.

You ever see that player who just can't perform in a certain stadium?  Their stats are down, they like to say the park "doesn't fit their eye."

Well apparently that is Toronto in extra inning games for our managers.  I would like to dub it "poutine brain."

Incredibly stupid decision to pitch to vlad there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure his development would’ve been just as good by pitching to Kirk, Hernandez, and Espinal with runners on 1st and 2nd. As they say, you play to win the game. 

47 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

It’s not a “would I done it”.

Its just , it’s not worth second guessing because it didn’t work.

You just move on because, tomorrow is another day. It’s just baseball.

Of course it’s worth second guessing. What do you think is the point of this thread? 

I think this depends on what the team is trying to accomplish.

If you are trying to win every game, he made the wrong decision.

If you are still in the mode of exposing your young pitchers to tough situations, you can argue that he made the right decision, although he could have walked him and still be in a tough situation.

Of course, he then doesn’t face Vladdy Jr, which may have been the whole point anyway.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So is the default strategy to always walk the leadoff hitter in the bottom of the 10th then?  

When you don't score in the top of the inning, yes.  I won't say 100% always, if the leadoff guy is a really weak hitter  ams the next guy is good, maybe you go after him and walk the next guy.

But I'd imagine I would do it 90% of the time.  Set up the force at 2nd & 3rd, set up a possible DP.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this depends on what the team is trying to accomplish.

If you are trying to win every game, he made the wrong decision.

If you are still in the mode of exposing your young pitchers to tough situations, you can argue that he made the right decision, although he could have walked him and still be in a tough situation.

Of course, he then doesn’t face Vladdy Jr, which may have been the whole point anyway.

Hyde has always tried to win with the 25 he's got. He has never tanked games for developmental purposes. The best explanation I can think of is playing for one run he'd rather try to strike out or pop up Vlad than have Kirk bunt. Since Vlad is going to be swinging you may have a higher chance of getting to 1 out without the runner advancing. I disagree with that thinking but now that I think about it I can see what he was going for. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would I want to keep the double play in order?

Keeping that in order is beneficial but I am not doing it at the expense of not pitching to a lesser hitter. 

It’s all circumstances to me. Last night was the perfect example on both sides. The Orioles were at the bottom of their order and the Jays had Vladdy up but better hitters behind then what we had.