The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

After the 8th Hyde decides to take out Mountcastle and place Urias in the 2 hole instead of taking the 9 hole spot that O ‘Hearn kept. Either way Urias was coming into the game. The 9 hole spot was due up 6th in the 9th. So better hitter up 2 spots earlier. 

Gunnar made a terrible throw but with a better defender in Mountcastle there plus with him being RH I wonder if he knocks it down or comes up with it. 

I’m not attacking Hyde here at all. Just wondering if in future he makes the same call.  

Edited by eddie83

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

After the 8th Hyde decides to take out Mountcastle and place Urias in the 2 hole instead of taking the 9 hole spot that O ‘Hearn kept. Either way Urias was coming into the game. The 9 hole spot was due up 6th in the 9th. So better hitter up 2 spots earlier. 

Gunnar made a terrible throw but with a better defender in Mountcastle there plus with him being RH I wonder if he knocks it down or comes up with it. 

I’m not attacking Hyde here at all. Just wondering if in future he makes the same call.  

I think I would rather have O’Hearn bat up most likely in the 10th then Urias.  With the ghost runner in the 10th you expect to score in one of the the next two inning and Mountcastle never spot never comes up.   

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I think I would rather have O’Hearn bat up most likely in the 10th than Urias.  With the ghost runner in the 10th you expect to score in one of the the next two inning and Mountcastle never spot never comes up.   

You have O’Hearn up 2 spots earlier than Urias for O’Hearn playing 1st over Ryan.  

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don't think Mountcastle is better than O'Hearn. When they are both in the lineup O'Hearn often plays 1B.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Perez to face Raley?  He missed that one. Why pinch hit Kjerstad for Westburg? The Westburg bunt also was lucky to work out. Hyde had a bad game and the team had a bad game. 

I didn’t care Bradish stayed in but you have to understand the situation. 

This is a left handed hitters park. They have completely changed LF here. You cannot under any circumstances especially once you fall behind in the count let Raley beat you there. Awful. 

I did not get the PH either. I get what I said above being a LHH park but that is an extremely tough spot to put him in. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I didn’t care Bradish stayed in but you have to understand the situation. 

This is a left handed hitters park. They have completely changed LF here. You cannot under any circumstances especially once you fall behind in the count let Raley beat you there. Awful. 

I did not get the PH either. I get what I said above being a LHH park but that is an extremely tough spot to put him in. 

I didn't like pinch hitting Kjerstad in the 8th inning either. That was a really rough spot to be in for his first MLB at bat. I understand the thought maybe Kjerstad gets into one and hits a home run to right field, but that's a lot to ask even from an established veteran.

And yes it was foolish to challenge Raley there. Pitch around him or bring in Perez if you want to challenge him.

I didn't mind the pinch hit. It's a tough spot for Kjerstad yes, but a tough spot for Westburg too. Your best chance of getting back in the game there is a HR, and Kjerstad was probably a better bet to hit one on a per-AB basis, MLB debut or not. 

Not bringing in Perez is more questionable to me. You've got three lefties going well out there and it seemed like a time to use one. 

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I did not get the call up in this series, let alone in that spot with the game on the line. Everyone should know by now how long it takes for minor league call-ups & 1st timers to get acclimated to Major League level opponents. (See Ortiz, Cowser, Lester, Stowers, Rodriguez, Hall etc... and even Rutschman and Henderson had some growing pains before getting adjusted and acclimated. Adley might be going through another growing pain these past 3 games or so.)

What happened to Kjerstad was perfectly predictable and he should not have been put in that situation. The job of management is to put your young talent in the best possible positions to succeed... And this was not it.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Perez to face Raley?  He missed that one. Why pinch hit Kjerstad for Westburg? The Westburg bunt also was lucky to work out. Hyde had a bad game and the team had a bad game. 

Are we certain the Westburg bunt was called from the dugout? I thought he squared quick like it was more of a drag bunt attempt rather than a true sacrifice. 

Bradish was cruising at that point. Game could have gone to extras. Raley hits LHP fine. I think Hyde would have been .ore willing to burn Perez for one had their been guys on base. All Bradish has to do there is avoid the HR and of course he didn't. Not that I would have been opposed to a lefty there

I think Coulombe had gotten up as the just in case guy 

I suggested in the game thread that perhaps it was prudent to pinch run Mateo for Frazier in the bottom of the 5th, have Mateo take 2nd base prior to Rutschman's AB. 

Yeah it was early in the game. But the way this team is scuffling lately... I dunno. With guys on 2nd and 3rd, they are likely bringing the infield in and putting pressure on Civale. 

I still think it would have been the prudent move.