Kjerstad still hasn't reported to alternate site [UPDATE: He's reported]

interloper

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you totally misread what I meant. I never said either of those things.

When you talked about understanding “what makes a guy tic” that is generally a reference to one’s heart.  The heart or ticker is what that idiom refers to as it is what ticks in the body.  I took what you were saying to suggest that perhaps they didn’t look hard enough into his motivations which suggests that he might have a motivation problem. However, I see that you were likely merely saying that you found it hard to believe any allegations that they hadn’t looked into such things. 

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

When you talked about understanding “what makes a guy tic” that is generally a reference to one’s heart.  The heart or ticker is what that idiom refers to as it is what ticks in the body.  I took what you were saying to suggest that perhaps they didn’t look hard enough into his motivations which suggests that he might have a motivation problem. However, I see that you were likely merely saying that you found it hard to believe any allegations that they hadn’t looked into such things. 

I meant by tic more like his motivation and desire to play the game. My assumption is they did the best they could under the COVID situation. It had nothing to do with his heart. 

Potentially interesting news regarding Kjerstad. He's officially been added to the Shorebirds roster and put on the 60 day DL. I don't know if this is just a formality but if there wasn't a plan for him to play this year would he have been put on a roster? That is something I'm unsure of. 

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Potentially interesting news regarding Kjerstad. He's officially been added to the Shorebirds roster and put on the 60 day DL. I don't know if this is just a formality but if there wasn't a plan for him to play this year would he have been put on a roster? That is something I'm unsure of. 

It might be a requirement to assign him to a team.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Any update on Kjerstad?

Roch had a post on May 19th where Elias said there wasn't much to update.  He is working out in Sarasota.  No timeline for when he will be playing in actual games.

Here is the exact quote:

“There hasn’t been much to report,” Elias said. “I feel it’s appropriate to emphasis again that this is a very tricky condition that he’s coming out of. It involves the heart muscle, very serious in that regard and it’s something that we’re going to have to take very slowly and methodically and carefully. And it’s probably going to take some time, but we’ve got all hands on deck to make sure this goes well.

“He’s got every medical resource available to him, world-class, and he’s got a great head on his shoulders and he’s a very determined, disciplined kid, so it all projects well. But we’re not going to rush anything and this is certainly not something that I’ve had a lot of experience with and it’s not something that happens a lot in baseball, so there’s not a real precise timeline we can put on something like this.”

I do not expect him to play this year but would be pleasantly surprised if he was able to get into some GCL games by the end of their season. I think we're looking at an entire year of strength and conditioning that will hopefully have him ready by spring 2022. 

BTW, he's been on the Shorebirds 60-day DL since the beginning of the season so nothing to that.

I sure hope Mayo and Baumler work out.  We reached bigly with the 2nd overall pick so we could target kids in rounds 4 and 5.  So dumb.  Add to that the heart thing, which is no one's fault, and I hope he recovers fully, but it's just more insult to injury.  He better start playing ball soon because the franchise can not afford to get nothing from a pick that high.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Elias had targets in mind other than just Mayo and Baumler that were gone before he wanted to pick them.

Isn't that all the more reason to take the "sure thing" (if there is such a thing) or best player available?  When you are in the fourth year of a re-build and haven't shown any improvement at all at the big league level, I would think you want as many highly-rated guys as possible in your system that can move up quickly.  The O's are in no position to roll the dice on draft picks on the hopes that an over-slot player they get cheap pans out.    

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Isn't that all the more reason to take the "sure thing" (if there is such a thing) or best player available?  When you are in the fourth year of a re-build and haven't shown any improvement at all at the big league level, I would think you want as many highly-rated guys as possible in your system that can move up quickly.  The O's are in no position to roll the dice on draft picks on the hopes that an over-slot player they get cheap pans out.    

Are you trying to convince me?

28 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

We have absolutely beaten this to death. Numerous threads of long arguments for, and against. You are assuming that Elias does not think Kjerstad was the best man available. No one can say for sure, except Elias. We'll see. Elias' track record is excellent in evaluating talent. Five years or so, and we will be able to judge this. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

We have absolutely beaten this to death. Numerous threads of long arguments for, and against. You are assuming that Elias does not think Kjerstad was the best man available. No one can say for sure, except Elias. We'll see. Elias' track record is excellent in evaluating talent. Five years or so, and we will be able to judge this. 

It’s a little strange that people make these bold proclamations after less 20 games worth of data last season. The top 10s on mock drafts now are different than they were even halfway into the season. Let alone after 15 games. I get people are upset they didn’t follow mock drafts but if we’re going to constantly harp on SSS, last year’s season is a prime example. We will see if the Os projections were correct. So far the results from the other college bats that draft have been encouraging.

• Upvote 3