• Last Reply
Orioles trade:

OF Nolan Reimold

SP David Hernandez

OF Luke Scott

Devil Rays trade:

SP Andy Sonnanstine

SS Reid Brignac

TAM would do that before MacPhail got the words "Reid Brignac" out of his mouth. It would be a bad move for BAL, in my opinion. Sonnanstine may not even be in the TAM rotation next year.

TAM would do that before MacPhail got the words "Reid Brignac" out of his mouth. It would be a bad move for BAL, in my opinion. Sonnanstine may not even be in the TAM rotation next year.

Really? I would assume that the Rays didn't really have a place for Scott, especially if Reimold was included.

Luke Scott to the Royals for Kial KIA' Oahu (1B) & Mark Teahen (3B/OF).

Scott is a big upgrade over Teahen, while bringing leadership to a young impressionable team in KC. Scott is also cheap.

Ka'aihue is a late blooming 1B'man that could be a solid ML'er at a position of need. Teahen would be a versatile bench upgrade.

If KC would go for that deal, the O's should take it and run for the nearest exit. Scott is replacable, and we need depth in the IF. It would be a good start to a hopefully exciting off-season.

Orioles trade:

OF Nolan Reimold

SP David Hernandez

OF Luke Scott

Devil Rays trade:

SP Andy Sonnanstine

SS Reid Brignac

Stotle... your response surprises me, regardless of the deal being realistic or not. If I were the Orioles I'd happily make that deal.

I'm curious... why do you feel that TB would be getting the better of the deal?

My feelings on Reimold's skillset have been submitted many times, but to reiterate, I don't see him as being anything more than a decent ML'er, and I think dealing him would be best in the long term. Scott is a solid vet, but replaceable, and DHernandez is a promising pitcher whose upside appears to be that of a solid bullpen guy.

Sonnanstine is not outstanding, but could be a solid #4-5 for us for years, and Brignac would offer us real hope for our gaping SS hole.

We're giving up value certainly, but that deal would be beneficial to both teams. JMHO.

Stotle... your response surprises me, regardless of the deal being realistic or not. If I were the Orioles I'd happily make that deal.

I'm curious... why do you feel that TB would be getting the better of the deal?

My feelings on Reimold's skillset have been submitted many times, but to reiterate, I don't see him as being anything more than a decent ML'er, and I think dealing him would be best in the long term. Scott is a solid vet, but replaceable, and DHernandez is a promising pitcher whose upside appears to be that of a solid bullpen guy.

Sonnanstine is not outstanding, but could be a solid #4-5 for us for years, and Brignac would offer us real hope for our gaping SS hole.

We're giving up value certainly, but that deal would be beneficial to both teams. JMHO.

To be clear, my statement was that TAM would jump on it and it would not be good for BAL. I don't think it is awful, but I think BAL is giving up three useful MLers for one.

I'd rather have Hernandez than Sonnanstine in my bullpen (he isn't likely long for the Rays rotation with Price and Niemann ready to step in). Regardless, BAL could find capable 4/5 starters in its system and in FA. So to me, I'm giving something up with regards to that part of the deal.

Reimold/Scott for Brignac? I love Brignac. Rate him plus-defense, plus-arm. He's a tick above-average hitting and fringe-average power. Now that's a valuable everyday SS. He'll probably play good defense and hit .280ish with 13-18 HRs. Worlds better than what BAL has right now, agreed.

You may project Reimold to be nothing more than an average MLer, but what is your projected ceiling? I'd probably put mine as an average hitter with plus-power. 270ish with 23-28 HR. Taking both ceilings (Reimold/Brignac) into acount I give the advantage to Brignac for positional value and I'd put the package of Brignac/Sonnanstine ahead of Hernandez/Reimold, certainly for current value. But is the difference between those packages really a Luke Scott? Scott is a capable everyday LF with average power.

All TAM is giving up is Brignac. Kaz/Shields/Garza/Price is the top 4, and Sonnanstine has the least impressive stuff out of Jackson/Niemann/Sonnanstine, not to mention some of the other arms that will b ready over the next couple of seasons. Scott and Reimold could play next year in TAM and Hernandez adds a power arm to the pen that still has the potential to start.

Sonnanstine gives BAL a placeholder, but he isn't someone you want in your rotation, is he? He's fine, but nothing close to special. Is Brignac worth Scott and the potential of Hernandez/Reimold? To some he could be, and I don't begrudge anyone for it. To me, he isn't.

If people want Sonnanstine, I'd think Scott/Sonnanstine would be all it takes. I don't like the deal, but they are interchangeable pieces as far as I'm concerned.

Reimold+Hernandez+Scott does not constitute "three useful MLers".

That's one useful MLer, and two AA prospects with zero ML experience. Their usefulness is very much TBD.

Thanks for stating the obvious, Dave. I think it's clear we're talking about projection. If need by, I can go back and edit and put "potential" infront of every use of MLer. :rolleyes: Or, we can move onto discussing the trade. Whatever works for you, just let me know.

Thanks for stating the obvious, Dave. I think it's clear we're talking about projection. If need by, I can go back and edit and put "potential" infront of every use of MLer. :rolleyes: Or, we can move onto discussing the trade. Whatever works for you, just let me know.

Semantics aside, under any definition how is it that Reimold and Hernandez count, and Brignac does not?

Just out of curiousity if anyone knows.....can we add to a PTBNL trade??

So for example, it sounds as if Bradford will not be getting us Brignac. But could we add something else, maybe a lower level prospect, that would get him? Is something like this even possible??

To be clear, my statement was that TAM would jump on it and it would not be good for BAL. I don't think it is awful, but I think BAL is giving up three useful MLers for one.

I'd rather have Hernandez than Sonnanstine in my bullpen (he isn't likely long for the Rays rotation with Price and Niemann ready to step in). Regardless, BAL could find capable 4/5 starters in its system and in FA. So to me, I'm giving something up with regards to that part of the deal.

Reimold/Scott for Brignac? I love Brignac. Rate him plus-defense, plus-arm. He's a tick above-average hitting and fringe-average power. Now that's a valuable everyday SS. He'll probably play good defense and hit .280ish with 13-18 HRs. Worlds better than what BAL has right now, agreed.

You may project Reimold to be nothing more than an average MLer, but what is your projected ceiling? I'd probably put mine as an average hitter with plus-power. 270ish with 23-28 HR. Taking both ceilings (Reimold/Brignac) into acount I give the advantage to Brignac for positional value and I'd put the package of Brignac/Sonnanstine ahead of Hernandez/Reimold, certainly for current value. But is the difference between those packages really a Luke Scott? Scott is a capable everyday LF with average power.

All TAM is giving up is Brignac. Kaz/Shields/Garza/Price is the top 4, and Sonnanstine has the least impressive stuff out of Jackson/Niemann/Sonnanstine, not to mention some of the other arms that will b ready over the next couple of seasons. Scott and Reimold could play next year in TAM and Hernandez adds a power arm to the pen that still has the potential to start.

Sonnanstine gives BAL a placeholder, but he isn't someone you want in your rotation, is he? He's fine, but nothing close to special. Is Brignac worth Scott and the potential of Hernandez/Reimold? To some he could be, and I don't begrudge anyone for it. To me, he isn't.

If people want Sonnanstine, I'd think Scott/Sonnanstine would be all it takes. I don't like the deal, but they are interchangeable pieces as far as I'm concerned.

Wow. Someone please pass me the kool-aid so I can feel the vibe. I see this very differently.

Yes, Sonnanstine is someone i very definately want in my rotation. Have you seen the current status of our rotation? Geez. Ya' know, he just pitched in the 4th game of the World Series (ok not that well but it shows he's darn good).

Strikeout/walk ratio is generally considered an excellent measure of a pitcher's quality and future ability. Most look for a ratio of 2 to 1. If you compile a list of pitchers who post that ratio, you'll notice the list includes darn fine pitchers. As a rookie, Sonnanstine posted a ratio of 3.35!!!

The list of AL pitchers with over 100 innings who posted a better ratio includes exactly 8 names: Halladay, Becket, Mussina, E. Santana, C. Lee, K. Slowey, S. Shields and S. Baker. Pretty fine company and worth having in our rotation ;). Notice it includes no current Orioles including our beloved J. Guthrie.

As for Brigniac, if you love him, it's a good bet so does TB. I bet if we examined shortstops who hit 17 dingers or more at AA as a 21 year old we'd find that he's in the company of the elite.

I hope you all are right and TB is ready to unload its prospects. if so, AM better get on the horn.

I think Sonnanstine would be a valuable pickup - I think he projects to be a cheap Jon Garland type. And Garland projects to be... a rich man. I'd definitely make that 3 LFers of varying degrees of decency for Sonnanstine and Brignac - twice.

If people want Sonnanstine, I'd think Scott/Sonnanstine would be all it takes.

That might be true if the Baltimore Orioles were Tampa Bay's only potential trading partner. However, other clubs would welcome Andy Sonnanstine into their rotations (and most of those teams fielded rotations that were more effective than Baltimore's in 2008).

If Tampa Bay chooses to trade Sonnanstine, the Rays should get more than 30-year-old Luke Scott in return.

Archived