Observations on attending games at OPACY under restrictions

Frobby

If I'm thinking of the store you mean, then yes, the Authentic Store is open.

I got a slice of pizza from the 7219 Pizza Vendor, third base side. The people in front of me got out of line after waiting, as the registers kept shutting down. A manager type walked by and started showing them the completely non-obvious combination of buttons they had to push to make them work. Registers at the Team Store worked fine. The pizza was actually pretty good. The problem is, it was served in a pretty big wedge-shaped box, but when I opened it, there was a tiny slice in it. I was like "What the...?"

My mistake earlier. The cow bobblehead is in Memorial Park, not the flag court.

I don't know if I mentioned it in the previous post, although it shows in the pictures, they are ensuring social distancing by ziptying closed bunches of seats.

Also, I bought an individual ticket. I didn't have to buy two. I ended up talking to a guy near me. He had bought two tickets, and then turned one of them in. I had bought his individual turned-in ticket. I didn't know you could do that. That also meant that I was gong to have to sit next to him. I thought that was stupid in the age of Covid, so I asked the Usher if I could sit in a section of empty seats in the next row back, and he said yes, so that we could be spaced out.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:24 AM, Frobby said:

Copied from another thread where I’d misposted it:

The no outside food policy may be a misguided response to the current situation, but I don’t think it’s part of some secret plot to abolish permanently the O’s very liberal policies on outside food.    They could have altered that policy a long time ago if they’d wanted to - they’ve been far more accommodating to fans than most teams on this score, for a long time.   

I guess we’ll find out next year.   

John Steadman made the same claim in print when the Orioles banned outside alcohol: "they could have done this a long time ago" thus the decision could not possibly have been about the money! Steadman carried water for the org with this ridiculous defense that profits were not at the heart of the decision. BS it wasn't about the money. People got just as drunk as they ever did. 

I don't believe outside food or beverage will ever be allowed in again. This is a perfect excuse for the new owners to squeeze the last drops of blood from the turnip. Eff the fans.

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2021 at 5:06 PM, Moshagge3 said:

To not allow a purse in the park under the pretense of COVID safety is really lame and frankly, sexist, since it's going to be more of a burden on women.

There's absolutely no reason that purses should be disallowed.  This is not a surface-contact virus. It's aerosolized. It doesn't make any sense. That's the definition of safety theater.  

On 4/16/2021 at 11:23 AM, Carllamy said:

I went to the first game of the double header yesterday - I couldn't stay for the second. I've posted photos on the OH Facebook site for those who would like to see them. Apologies up front. I posted them in chronological order, from when I got there to when I left, but Facebook seems to have scrambled them up upon posting, so their order doesn't always make sense.

There weren't the usual outside vendors, either when I got there, or when I left.

I bought a ticket at a walk up window. They're using the Will Call windows as well as the usual ones so they can spread out, so that no two windows are open next to each other. The usual in-stadium ticket windows were not open. I told them I couldn't do tickets by cell phone, so they just printed one for me (I took a photo of it).

The flag court is closed. For no apparent reason, there is a giant Chik-fil-a bobblehead cow on the flagcourt.

Boogs' has a new tower sign next to it, with a spinning circular Pepsi sign on top, like a roadside diner.

Team Store now has separate entrance and exit, and they limit the number of people in the store. They still have a supply of Opening Day lapel pins (I collect them). Hooray!

Seasons Pizza has been replaced with another place, but that may have happened last season. I don't remember.

A lot of places are closed. Many of the normal burger and dog places. The smaller team stores. Much of the upper deck vendors are closed.

Ushers carry small signs reminding you to mask up. Even the cops wear masks. There are hand washing stations.

The kids gym equipment is gone.

The street signs again don't have individual players on them, just logos, or reminders of the new safety rules, like Wear Masks and such.

Did they add any ticket fees on walk-up purchases? I don't mind using the phone and the ballpark-app for tickets, but if I can avoid the added fees I'll gladly stand in line for 5 minutes. 

Edited by fansince1988
typo

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m going next week.  I expect everything to be really stupid and pointless, like most of the last year. 

But nothing can be worse than the criminal fees TM charges.

Think I paid +$11 per ticket. Pretty ridiculous but for some reason I was under the impression the box office was closed. Will definitely buy in person next time.

I went to the Nats game yesterday.

Pretty much what you would expect.  They did enforce having to wear a mask in your seat unless you are in the act of eating and drinking.  Personally I find this annoying.  My friend and I are both fully vaccinated and there was no on within 10 or 15 feet of us.  The usher in each section was on the lookout for violations and letting people know they were in violation.  The scoreboard announced a 2 strikes and out policy (warning and then ejection).  I saw no signs of any ejections but did see some instances where the usher ones security personnel to speak to someone.

Unused seats were zip tied closed.  At Nats Park you can watch the game from the concourse, there are even standup bars behind the last row in some lower deck sections where you can put your food and drink down and watch the game.  Over the years I have spent many hours watching parts of games from the standup bars instead of from more distant cheaper seats I was ticketed for.  Needless to say, the standup bars were off limits.  I wasn't surprised at that.

My friend bought a round of beers because it was his turn, he was able to not even be in line, use the MLB ballpark app to make his order and pay, and get called over to pick up his beers when the lady poured them.  Pretty cool.  He already had a credit or debit card tied into his MLB ballpark account.  I do not, so I imagine I would have had to jump through a few hoops to make that work.  We never got a second beer which would have been my turn to buy, so I didn't find out.

All in all, not a bad experience although I would have liked to take my mask off while in my seats.

I'm going to the Os game next Saturday.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I went to the Nats game yesterday.  My first in person sports event since Feb 1 2020.

Pretty much what you would expect.  They did enforce having to wear a mask in your seat unless you are in the act of eating and drinking.  Personally I find this annoying.  My friend and I are both fully vaccinated and there was no on within 10 or 15 feet of us.  The usher in each section was on the lookout for violations and letting people know they were in violation.  The scoreboard announced a 2 strikes and out policy (warning and then ejection).  I saw no signs of any ejections but did see some instances where the usher summoned security personnel to speak to someone.

Unused seats were zip tied closed.  At Nats Park you can watch the game from the concourse, there are even standup bars behind the last row in some lower deck sections where you can put your food and drink down and watch the game.  Over the years I have spent many hours watching parts of games from the standup bars instead of from more distant cheaper seats I was ticketed for.  Needless to say, the standup bars were off limits.  I wasn't surprised at that.

My friend bought a round of beers because it was his turn, he was able to not even be in line, use the MLB ballpark app to make his order and pay, and get called over to pick up his beers when the lady poured them.  Pretty cool.  He already had a credit or debit card tied into his MLB ballpark account.  I do not, so I imagine I would have had to jump through a few hoops to make that work.  We never got a second beer which would have been my turn to buy, so I didn't find out.

They DID have vendors in the stands selling stuff (I've heard OPACY does not).  Not sure what the payment method was.

All in all, not a bad experience although I would have liked to take my mask off while in my seats.

I'm going to the Os game next Saturday.

11 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

Did they add any ticket fees on walk-up purchases? I don't mind using the phone and the ballpark-app for tickets, but if I can avoid the added fees I'll gladly stand in line for 5 minutes. 

On the TV broadcasts they've been saying ticket prices are the same online as they are at the box office. But that probably doesn't take into account the (high) fees for online tickets. I'm assuming there are no fees for tickets bought in-person, but someone on here would need to confirm that.

Edited by rm5678

37 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

On the TV broadcasts they've been saying ticket prices are the same online as they are at the box office. But that probably doesn't take into account the (high) fees for online tickets. I'm assuming there are no fees for tickets bought in-person, but someone on here would need to confirm that.

Just a matter of time before they tack on a transaction fee surcharge for on-site ticket purchases like Rams Head Live has done (though Rams Head Live claims on its website they do not currently add surcharges for on-site ticket purchases.)

On 4/17/2021 at 10:07 AM, crowmst3k! said:

There's absolutely no reason that purses should be disallowed.  This is not a surface-contact virus. It's aerosolized. It doesn't make any sense. That's the definition of safety theater.  

On this note, someone on Thursday had a clear backpack that he brought in, and there was no way he was a father or needed it for anything other than his ballhawking gear.  So not sure how he got in with that, nor do I object to it.  Clear backpacks make 100% sense.  

9 hours ago, survivedc said:

Think I paid +$11 per ticket. Pretty ridiculous but for some reason I was under the impression the box office was closed. Will definitely buy in person next time.

They didn't have income for a year either, but the Orioles raised everything but the ticket pricing.  I saw the parking in the A Annex lot went from $10 to $15 on gameday.  A Big Boogs is now $17.50 or $18.50, and you get a small bag of chips as opposed to the large handful you got before.  Add in a beer, and it's $30 for a meal.  $5.50 for water, $6.50 for bottled soda. Unless it is another double-header, I'm out on the food.  It's ridiculous.