Hypothetically how good would the Os be right now

GuidoSarducci

To me this is not the hypothetical.  The hypothetical is how good would we be if the Orioles had taken chances on former top prospects this offseason (exactly the type of risk they should be taking) and signed any of  Rodon, Naquin, Profar, Ray, or Wong.

Did I cherry pick?  Sort of.  I chose four (minus Naquin who was drafted by the O's) players who were top 10 prospects for their teams, reaching free agency for the first time between the ages of 27-30.

Elias seems to see no value in these players because they were born before the year 2000 but they would all fill a need and could have trade value or help build a more complete team.

I’m actually pretty happy with our pitching overall. Hyde doesn’t prepare, and he doesn’t anticipate, so we’ve given up some unnecessary runs, but the lit hing is the least of our worries. The defense, overall seems better. Not elite, but mostly at least competent. Franco is dreadful, but everyone else is about average, so we can live with it for now. The offense is dreadful. But oh well.

we’ll get better this season, and finish respectably.

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It’s DeGrom’s award to lose in the NL, but it’s nice to see Gausman pitching well.

Corbin Burnes might have something to say about that....of course he just went on the IL.   I am rooting for Gausman too and Bundy, but glad Gausman seems to be finally finding the success we thought he would have here. 

21 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

If we had merely kept Bundy, Gausman and Villar ? 

In a worse position for being a rebuilding team with okay guys at free agent rates, or close?  Villar has been terrible since he left, and Bundy is basically the same pitcher he's always been.  Gausman has been all over the place since he was an Oriole.

18 hours ago, Hazmat said:

If Gausman continues to pitch like he has so far this season, he will be in the conversation.

He's pitched 33 innings.  He's in the midst of his 21st-best run of five games in his career.  He's had many years to continue to pitch like this, and almost never has.  Remember the five game span in 2016 when he didn't allow any runs in four of the five starts?

• Thanks 1