Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This is so overblown.  Why wouldn’t we want him working with Bradish or Smith more?  Or Lowther?  Or even up in the majors helping the young pitchers here. The idea that he needs to stay in Bowie to catch those guys is way over the top.  

Agree with you there.  

2 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

If it was based solely on merit, he would have been in AAA for a while already. 

You mean the Major Leagues.

He may not be 100% baked, but he's certainly better than many ML catchers and anyone else in our org. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You mean the Major Leagues.

He may not be 100% baked, but he's certainly better than many ML catchers and anyone else in our org. 

No, I mean AAA. I have no problem with testing our prospects at each level. And I can imagine being annoyed many years down the road when AR is hitting free agency or being traded a year earlier than he had to. I don’t like it, but I get it. All I’m saying here is that the only reason he is in AA right now is controlling optics. I don’t care about optics. He may need that time in AAA for his development. Don’t impede the process because you (Elias) don’t want to be criticized for manipulating service clock. If he’s ready for AAA, promote him. Taking criticism is part of the GM job. Own it. 

Just now, UMDTerrapins said:

No, I mean AAA. I have no problem with testing our prospects at each level. And I can imagine being annoyed many years down the road when AR is hitting free agency or being traded a year earlier than he had to. I don’t like it, but I get it. All I’m saying here is that the only reason he is in AA right now is controlling optics. I don’t care about optics. He may need that time in AAA for his development. Don’t impede the process because you (Elias) don’t want to be criticized for manipulating service clock. If he’s ready, promote him. Taking criticism is part of the Gm job. Own it. 

He totally needed to get tested in the GCL. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grady said:

Most really good prospects never even play in AAA. Could AR be the next to skip?

I'd be curious to see the percentage of players in the majors who skipped AAA, even just the "really good" ones, which would be tricky to determine who qualifies. Who besides Machado skipped AAA in the Baltimore organization the last 25 years.

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I'd be curious to see the percentage of players in the majors who skipped AAA, even just the "really good" ones, which would be tricky to determine who qualifies. Who besides Machado skipped AAA in the Baltimore organization the last 25 years.

Off the top of my head?  Markakis and Cabrera did.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Off the top of my head?  Markakis and Cabrera did.

I remember Markakis making the jump to Baltimore. I had to think a while on who Cabrera was, then remembered our former pitcher who threw really hard.

I think even McDonald and Wieters spent some time in AAA ball, and they were near the top as far as prospects of their time.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I remember Markakis making the jump to Baltimore. I had to think a while on who Cabrera was, then remembered our former pitcher who threw really hard.

I think even McDonald and Wieters spent some time in AAA ball, and they were near the top as far as prospects of their time.

Ben didn't (before his MLB debut) but you said last 25 years so I didn't mention him.

Wieters was a service time issue.

Bundy has never pitched in AAA.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

To be fair he said “really good prospects”.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ben didn't (before his MLB debut) but you said last 25 years so I didn't mention him.

I think I remember watching Ben's debut against Frank Thomas and the White Sox. I saw he pitched in AAA, but I didn't think about it being after his MLB debut. Hard to believe it's been 35-plus years since he was the first pick. It seemed like 25 years or less.

17 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I think I remember watching Ben's debut against Frank Thomas and the White Sox. I saw he pitched in AAA, but I didn't think about it being after his MLB debut. Hard to believe it's been 35-plus years since he was the first pick. It seemed like 25 years or less.

I remember watching Big Ben’s debut.  1989 Why Not season against Cleveland .  He induced an inning ending double play on his first pitch.  I think the O’s got blown out though.

Edited by jdwilde1
Revised sentence for clarity.

Bundy was a situation where they had no choice because he signed a major league deal out of high school and then was injured so much that he ran out of options.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bundy was a situation where they had no choice because he signed a major league deal out of high school and then was injured so much that he ran out of options.  

And if he was healthy he might not has ever pitched at that level.

He fits the criteria.