Kyle Brnovich 2021

Frobby

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know man, strikeouts are trending down.

Would be great to hit on one of these guys.

I had to edit my post.  I forgot his one hit allowed today was a HR.   So yeah, big decline today.   

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, Frobby said:

Time to pay attention to this guy.  

1st start: 5.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K’s

2nd start: 5.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 5 K’s

His navigated his 5.2 IP tonight in a tidy 66 pitches, 48 for strikes.   

Third start: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K’s.   Three baserunners in five innings constitutes a bad day for him in Hi A.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Finally got a chance to watch Brnovich (5/12 against High Valley). I’ve been looking forward to watching him since his first start, and I may have had my expectations too high. His line for the night:   5 2/3 IP  1 H  1 ER  0 BB  5K.

You can see why he’s having success. He has an excellent "slurve" that is easily his most frequently thrown pitch. He throws it hard and it has a sharp break straight down. I didn't see one good swing on that pitch. His off speed stuff gives hitters fits at this level, and probably will at higher levels as well. Only threw a handful of changeups, but they were effective. He mixes in what looks like a low 90s fastball (they weren't calling speeds) that is pretty hittable. It’s not just the velocity that concerns me, it that there isn’t much life or deception to it. His command is pretty solid, but you can see that he is careful to keep his fastball off the plate or elevated. If it catches too much of the zone he's going to get hit hard, even at this level. He’s definitely worth keeping an eye on, but my optimism is tempered after watching this start. It's all about the fastball. He doesn't look like he'll add more velocity, so he's got to change something about that pitch to be effective at higher levels. Curious to hear some other evaluations of him. Maybe I'm being too harsh about the FB. 

I have really been enjoying your analyses of these pitchers.   Thanks for the effort. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have really been enjoying your analyses of these pitchers.   Thanks for the effort. 

Thanks Frobby! It would be a lot less fun if we didn't have a lot of really good pitchers in the minors. I'm just really enjoying this site and this season. It's hard not to get excited when you envision Means/Rodriguez/Hall/Bradish in the relatively near future, and replacing our offensive black holes at C/2B with Rutschman/Vavra. A lot has to go right of course, but ya gotta like where things are moving with just our in-house options. It's a bit weird critiquing a guy like Brnovich who is just killing it so far. But I think after you watch guys like Rodriguez and Hall, it puts things in perspective...they're just on another tier. And we can see how much guys like Kremer and Lowther have to be perfect with their location to make their stuff work effectively. We certainly have a bunch of guys in that tier, and I'd like to hope that a few of them will make it work. Brnovich is intriguing because his off speed stuff is so good, and he locates well. Actually, he might be a good barometer on whether I have any idea what I'm talking about. If he comes up with a cut fastball or something that gives him an effective top gear, he could really become an interesting prospect. If he doesn't, I think he's a bullpen arm. Not that that's the worst thing in the world. Anyhow, thanks again! 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Thanks Frobby! It would be a lot less fun if we didn't have a lot of really good pitchers in the minors. I'm just really enjoying this site and this season. It's hard not to get excited when you envision Means/Rodriguez/Hall/Bradish in the relatively near future, and replacing our offensive black holes at C/2B with Rutschman/Vavra. A lot has to go right of course, but ya gotta like where things are moving with just our in-house options. It's a bit weird critiquing a guy like Brnovich who is just killing it so far. But I think after you watch guys like Rodriguez and Hall, it puts things in perspective...they're just on another tier. And we can see how much guys like Kremer and Lowther have to be perfect with their location to make their stuff work effectively. We certainly have a bunch of guys in that tier, and I'd like to hope that a few of them will make it work. Brnovich is intriguing because his off speed stuff is so good, and he locates well. Actually, he might be a good barometer on whether I have any idea what I'm talking about. If he comes up with a cut fastball or something that gives him an effective top gear, he could really become an interesting prospect. If he doesn't, I think he's a bullpen arm. Not that that's the worst thing in the world. Anyhow, thanks again! 

I’ll be honest — I could never be a scout, or even play one on TV.   It really helps me when Tony or a knowledgeable poster gets into detail about why a player is or isn’t having success, and what needs to happen for that player to have success at the next level.   So thanks for that.  

• Upvote 2

Brnovich had a bizarre outing today, lasting only 2/3 of an inning and allowing 8 runs on 4 hits and a walk, with 4 errors mixed it.   Only 1 of the 8 runs was earned, and that was a leadoff solo homer.  Life in the minor leagues!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...